Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:29:53 PM EDT
 My old computer is pretty much trashed...won't boot Win95 and I can't get at the data stored on it. It has sat dormant for a couple years while I decide what to do with it. Do the recovery discs I see on eBay actually work? Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
easiest thing to do is drop the drive in another machine as a secondary and copy your data off
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
easiest thing to do is drop the drive in another machine as a secondary and copy your data off

yup
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1.  unplug the cd-rom in a second computer, and plug the hard drive in (in place of the cd-rom drive).

boot up from the second computer's hard drive, and look at the first computer's data..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
it may be a partition problem.  i don't know if "fixmbr" is an option in windows 95 or not.

i doubt those discs on e-bay are anything special.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If your pc has a cd-rom you can try "UBCD" www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You could also boot a Knoppix CD and use it to copy the data off, if you want to.  Or just pull the hard drive out of the machine, put it into another, and throw the old machine (sans disk) away.

www.knoppix.net/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top