Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
My wife said I need to see this movie...I looked at the dvd box and said "screw that". Anyone see It? Is it as bad as the cover seems? Should I stick to my guns???
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If you watch it with your wife, you will get laid. Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
From IMDB:

Plot Summary for
The Notebook (2004)

The movie focuses on an old man reading a story to an old woman in a nursing home. The story he reads follows two young lovers named Allie Hamilton and Noah Calhoun, who meet one evening at a carnival. But they are separated by Allie's parents who dissaprove of Noah's unwealthy family, and move Allie away. After waiting for Noah to write her for several years, Allie meets and gets engaged to a handsome young soldier named Lon. Allie, then, with her love for Noah still alive, stops by Noah's 200-year-old home that he restored for her, "to see if he's okay". It is evident that they still have feelings for each other, and Allie has to choose between her fiancé and her first love.

Summary written by Jessica Cymerman

An old man in a nursing home reads a story to an old woman each day. The story he reads follows two young lovers named Allie Hamilton and Noah Calhoun. They met one evening at a carnival many years ago. Allie's parents separate Noah and Allie. They disapprove of Noah's lack of wealth, and move Allie away. After waiting for Noah to write her for several years, Allie meets and becomes engaged to a handsome young soldier named Lon. In a local newspaper, Noah's picture catches Allie's eye. He is standing in front of a fully restored, 200 year old home. The article is filled with praise for his accomplishments. Allie's heart nearly bursts. The last time she saw this house it was a rotted decaying shamble. She stood enfolded in Noah's arms in the great entryway and listened to his plans to buy and restore this house. Just the way she wanted it. With her love for Noah still alive, the picture pulls at her heart. She has to go back, see if Noah is okay, and tell him about her marriage. They both think the echo deep in their hearts, the one that has lasted all these years, is not shared by the other. The cry they could not stifle. It wasn't over for me.

Summary written by Dontee
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My wife said I need to see this movie...I looked at the dvd box and said "screw that". Anyone see It? Is it as bad as the cover seems? Should I stick to my guns???

I was just as skeptical as you when my wife brought that movie home. But, I definitely had "something in my eye" when it ended. It reminded me of my Grandparents. It's a good movie for something that has no explosions and such.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
According to the group that issues Man Cards, watching with the wife for the exclusive purpose of getting laid is OK. If you watch it with your shooting buddy, then you are definately GHEY!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My lady made me watch it twice within 24 hours.  I too definately had something in my eye as of the end of the movie.  Good movie.

--VT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
i hear the movie comes with a straight razor so you can either slit your wrists halfway through to escape or make the emasculation complete once the movie ends and you're sobbing uncontrollably into your lace hankie...

it got great reviews when it come out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife (and I watchedfor the last 1/2 of the movie) it on a weekend vacation earlier this month. A little too sad for my taste but sometimes you have to jump on the romance grenade.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The important question that all men are interested in:  Is there any female nudity?  Can you rate that nudity on a scale of 1-10?  At what time in the movie does the nudity occur?  ( in case I want to sleep thru the rest)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, but not great. I liked the history of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Lord God Almighty, I was forced to sit though this movie by my wife and I thought it was total shit. I found myself wanting to slap the girl and her family, and wanting to tell the guy to man up, go drink a 5th of jack and go about spreading your seed all over town like any other soldier would...

Of course my wife didnlt like anything I had to say about it...

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife has the DVD. Not my kind of film, but much better than most of its kind. Rachel McAdams is really hot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Caught some bits and pieces of it one night.  James Garner and Gena Rowlands played the aged versions.

It reminded me a little of an episode on "Nip Tuck".  An older woman was visiting her alzheimer afflicted husband in a facility and all he seemed to react to was pictures of her when she was younger...so she went through plastic surgery to become this woman again....and then showed up after her recovery and her old husband introduced her to his new girlfriend he'd acquired in her absence......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I'll check it out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
No, I have testicles.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Rachel McAdams is hot.

The movie was carefully designed to push every feminine button that exists. Watch Conan the Barbarian as a chaser, after you get some nookie from the wife.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you will be ok with it. For me it seemed a little slow in the beginning, but as the movie went on more and more made better since.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
A girl made me watch it. But it was a hell of a movie! I liked it alot, but it is dreadfully sad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Rachel McAdams is hot.

The movie was carefully designed to push every feminine button that exists. Watch Conan the Barbarian as a chaser, WHILE you get some nookie from the wife.

If you are gonna go, go big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top