Thanks
BIG
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
TTT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 6.4L Twin turbo V8.

They are going away from powering the injectors with oil pressure too.  Going to an electronic/mechanical injector style.

All I can say is that Ford & Navistar better have tested the crap out of this because Ford lost their a$$ on the 6.0 warranty work and all the buy-backs.

When I was in my Ford dealer about 3 months ago there was a Ford Engineering rep there talking to the truck shop service manager.  When the dealer employee asked about the new 6.4, the Ford Rep smiled, rolled his eyes and said - I kid you not: "You're not gonna like it."

Ford had better get this right or they're going to need a bigger tournaquet.

(FYI: been driving Ford trucks for about 25 years now)

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Call Ghostcat.  Ghostcat, you're being paged.

(GC works at the International plant where they make the PS).

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cummins. Allison.  Peterbilt.  At least someone got it right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll stick to my 7.3 '02. Almost the last in revisions on the 7.3..been good so far.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll stick to my 7.3 '02. Almost the last in revisions on the 7.3..been good so far.

Absolutely.  

That 7.3 is a great motor.  The 6.0 has screaming performance (I used to own one) but the 7.3 is a very reliable platform.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Give it a year to work the bugs out, then get one. It will be an absolute screamer. I love the 6.0, my buddy has one that makes something like 650 hp.

However, I think the Cummins 610 is the best diesel on the market.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The problems with the powerstroke mostly came when Ford pumped it up and increased the redline. International has been selling the 6.0 as a heavy truck engine for years, but theirs only makes 210 hp/600 tq and redlines at 2800 or so.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Geez, after the way they totally fouled up the 6.0, why would anyone think of buying a first year truck from Ford?
Better get a 6.0 next year right when they finally have the bugs worked out.

Brian
02 F350 dually 7.3L
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my Dodge w/Cummins, and I'm really not a brand loyal person.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have heard from diesel owners that the Dodge Cummins is better than the Duramax and Powerstroke: quieter, more efficient, and more torque (almost flat 500 ft-lb) out of a straight 6.

The Duramax is now used on the Hummer H1 Alpha (HMMWV clone, not the H2/H3 crap) which should give it some pep, but I hear that it needs quite a few PCM revisions to get right.

I would avoid Ford like the plague at this point. If you are DEAD SET on a Ford, do NOT get any dark colored paint because it will peel off like dead-skin.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have heard from diesel owners that the Dodge Cummins is better than the Duramax and Powerstroke: quieter, more efficient, and more torque (almost flat 500 ft-lb) out of a straight 6.

The Duramax is now used on the Hummer H1 Alpha (HMMWV clone, not the H2/H3 crap) which should give it some pep, but I hear that it needs quite a few PCM revisions to get right.

I would avoid Ford like the plague at this point. If you are DEAD SET on a Ford, do NOT get any dark colored paint because it will peel off like dead-skin.

When I first bought my Dmax all my friends that had dodges and fords where giving me a hard time about how quiet it was and saying that a real mans diesel made noise and smoked like hell , Now all I hear from these guys is how much quiter there fords or dodges are than my Dmax. I would say the ford will do just fine navister knows what there doing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Whats wrong with the paint?  My dad has a '06 F150 Black, and looks fine to me.

Though I do remember seeing some of the F1/2/350 logos looking like they were peeling, but only the logos.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Shit, I have had two Fords with dark paint and niether chipped or peeled.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Practically all 2003 black Panthers early on have peeling paint.
My 2003 E-250 with black paint has crow foot cracks on the side and the hood completely delaminated.
2002 Panther owners have noticed peeling and crappy paint (dark blue, black).

My local Ford dealer told me that I bought the wrong color. They know about the problems with black/dark paint and recommend white or bright colors only.

Your 2006 is too new to have any problems. Put it under the sun for a bit and it will start peeling.
I'd trust Maaco paint over Ford factory paint.
We have three Fords with black/dark paint, all have problems. I know a few dozen more owners that have had problems with black/dark paint peeling or otherwise poor quality.

Go with the Dodge, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Look here. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=169
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My 2003 E-250 with black paint has crow foot cracks on the side and the hood completely delaminated.

My local Ford dealer told me that I bought the wrong color. They know about the problems with black/dark paint and recommend white or bright colors only.

Your 2006 is too new to have any problems. Put it under the sun for a bit and it will start peeling.
We have three Fords with black/dark paint, all have problems. I know a few dozen more owners that have had problems with black/dark paint peeling or otherwise poor quality.

My 2006? No. I had an 03 and I have an 02. DSG and BLK in that order.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 2006? No. I had an 03 and I have an 02. DSG and BLK in that order.

FunYun1983 has a 2006.
Consider yourself LUCKY your 02 and 03 do not have paint problems.

There are PLENTY of 02-03 Panther owners with paint issues, and the black paint is the same one used on trucks. I'm not talking about a few chips here and there. The entire hood on the E-250 just peeled away like some Hollywood facial peel, revealing a white unprimed surface underneath. That is NOT normal whatsoever.

Our family has owned Fords for the past 25-30 years and we'll never buy another Ford again due to craptastic dealership service, poor build quality, and lack of imagination for its designs. The 2006 Crown Victoria is the FIRST YEAR the Panther ever got a tachometer. Even cheapass Saturns have tachs. What the hell is a ditzy blonde chick going to do with a tachometer on an automatic Saturn??? I wish I had a tach on my 00 Vic because I can monitor WOT shift points and idle speeds more closely.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My company has a 97 Ford F-350 with the Diesel & 160,000 miles on it. Only problem I have had with it was the water pump at about 130,000. And I have to replace a u-joint about every 5 months. That truck pulls a trailer everyday and it has been a good work truck.
I had to replace upper and lower ball joints on both sides of my 2001 F250 along with the  front hub and 2 u joints, $1750.00 bill. The guy told me Fords are known for shitty front ends.
 I also have a 04 and 05 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins, they have way more power and they are much quieter than the fords, also the ride is much better than the ford. I know these are older Fords not sure how the new ones stack up.

I switched to Dodge and love them
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're a gearhead, you should appreciate the FAT FLAT torque "curve" of the 5.9L I6 Cummins diesel. You can drag race small cars at stoplights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
ok here it goes. i drive a 7.3 stroke , dad has a 3 month old duramax , uncle has 6 month old cummins and sister has a year old 6.0.  I love my 7.3 alot and all of the trucks are very nice but if i had to get a new one it would be the duramax hands down. they all have more power then your ever gonna need, the cummins inline 6 is probably the best but all of them have shitloads of horse and torque. but the chevy has sutch a better ride and more room in the inside. shit my extended cab ford has more room then my uncles 4 door dodge. plus we all know how well the dodge tranny holds up and the chevys allison is the top of the markett. the ford and the 6.0 are a super nice setup and i almost like it as mutch as the chevy, the engine in my sisters hasnt had a problem yet. no matter what you get your gonna be happy any of them will do what you want them to do and more. just drive them all and make a choice, hahha and dodges are so mutch cheaper for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a 6.0 PSD Jan. 10 and it's arrived at the dealer already.  I pick it up tomorrow.  Thursday it will go in to have the bed Line-X'd, then right across the street for EGT and boost gauges added.  I've already have a 95 gallon aux in-bed fuel tank ordered.  It's tan and it looks great!

Thanks

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Nostradamus says in the year 2007 Cummins will still be the best diesel in the market!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#25]
My friends 6.0 has 500 hp, sucker drifts on dry cement and is still burning tires at 45 mph.

It did brake though.

Going in reverse then slam it into drive and floor it (repeatedly). Pulling a trailer with several thousand pounds at over 100mph for a few hours.

Pulled a moble home with it for about a 7 hour ride (truck had airbags so he decided to try it).

Sucker had some power and would run like heck but he screwed it up from the above ^. Put 25k miles on it in 2 months.

My Dad has a 01 w/o anyproblems since he bought it.

Friend has a 99 and no problems yet.

If you take care of emm they are good trucks. I like the way they look more then other trucks too^.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I ordered a 6.0 PSD Jan. 10 and it's arrived at the dealer already.  I pick it up tomorrow.  Thursday it will go in to have the bed Line-X'd, then right across the street for EGT and boost gauges added.  I've already have a 95 gallon aux in-bed fuel tank ordered.  It's tan and it looks great!

Thanks

Merlin

Merlin, ya have got to check out oilburners.net/ and there sister site www.superdutydiesel.com/ Thesy are the best web sites on the net for information about Ford Diesels and all other diesels.

Ifin ya have ever wanted a diesel then you should check these sites out. The depth of diesel knowledge is bottomless and the members would bend over backwards to help a fellow diesel owner out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#27]
V-10 BITCH!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Tell me about the 4.4!!! Somethings worth the breath.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top