Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 2:00:49 PM EDT
I just got back from a local pawn shop and a Palmetto Armory SGW preban AR caught my attention.
The dealer said the gun was over 30yrs old.
It had A1 sights and stock, No forward assist, had bayonet lug and birdcage flashider. Closer inspection showed me that there was some rust on the flashider and there were some handling marks. The serial # was 5795(i think thats it, if not very close). The dealer was asking $1050 for it. Is this a good offer or should I haggle him?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Reconxl- I could be mistaken but SGW is Olympic Arms, and they did make lowers for Palmetto Armory but they only started making them in March of 1979.  So it isn't 30 years old, the serial number does correspond to Olys made between 79 to 82 and according to them most were made for Palmetto.  I have no idea of the value, but thats the info I found.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Is $1050 a good price for this gun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
btt......
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
No that's high.  That would be a good price for a *Colt* AR15 SP1.

I wouldn't go more than $800.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
really $800? I don't think I can bargain this guy down that low...
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Then this is the time you get him to throw in a case of ammo and six 30-round mags.  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Chairborne Ranger,
The market must be depressed in AZ. The $1050 is a fair price considering it's a pawn shop. After monitoring this and other sites for a couple of years and considering the present market, the $1K price range is about right.

reconxl,
Hopefully you can do a little dealing and lower the cost. If not, it still is a fair price. Also see if they have any AR 'goodies' that would not normally move quickly to sweeten the deal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you are right Older Crow.  I was just in a gun shop in Lake Havasu City a few weeks ago and there was a Colt SP1 in probably 93 percent condition at $999.  That's the pre-haggle price.  I doubt if they had much room on it at that price but I bet it would have gone for $1K out the door.  Not to start the "whose AR is better" argument again, but I would take a Colt over an SGW/Palmetto any day, if only for the re-sale value alone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Can someone tell me where I can find info on Palmetto AR's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top