Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 5:13:04 PM EDT
S&M M&P

Kimber KPD

No offical photo, but comes with same gay internal lock and only in .40 for now. Was on the back cover of American Rifleman.

FNP9-M

Is there some kind of contest going on? Unless they've figured out a breakthrough in injection moulding Glock is going to undercut their shorts on pricing to LE.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Separated at birth?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The Kimber doesnt look like a High Point.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kimber KPD

No offical photo

Yeah there is:

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Isint the S&W just a Walther P99 made by S&W ? Or Walther is producing the frames for S&W ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Separated at birth?

www.fnherstal.com/html/FNP9/FNP9.jpg

www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/SThipoint_100605A.jpg

WTF? How in the hell did you make that connection? They look NOTHING alike. Sights, slide, grip, mags, trigger, ejection port, rail, and everything else are ALL different. To lump something that FN makes in the same category as a High Point is plain ignorant in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I saw the KPD and was like that couldnt be a Kimber.....well it was. Very shocking for them to jump on the bandwagon by I suppose it will have to happen sooner or later. I cant really thing of a manufacture that dosent make or has made a poly frame pistol....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Separated at birth?

WTF? How in the hell did you make that connection? They look NOTHING alike. Sights, slide, grip, mags, trigger, ejection port, rail, and everything else are ALL different. To lump something that FN makes in the same category as a High Point is plain ignorant in my opinion.

Amen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The reason is that plastic-framed guns make much better carry guns than metal-framed guns, and they do so at a lower cost.  Thus, the manufacturers who offer them make a lot of money by meeting the demands of their customers.

After you've carried a Glock, it's very hard to carry an all-metal gun.

-Troy

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

After you've carried had a Glock go kaboom, it's very hard to carry any all-metal gun with your stub.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Separated at birth?

relax, francis, it was a joke based on a quick glance at it...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the ad on the back of American rifleman too. I was just happy that Kimber managed to write up an entire advertisement without one use of the word "tactical". They've been getting better at that in increments. IIRC they used the word around 14 times on one of their glossy full page ads that barely had a paragraph of writing.

Bravo!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Isint the S&W just a Walther P99 made by S&W ? Or Walther is producing the frames for S&W ?

The S&W M&P is different the S&W 99 whihc is thta walther colaberation.  I dont care for the 99 but the M&P felt really nice in my hand,
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The S&W M&P is different the S&W 99 whihc is thta walther colaberation.  I dont care for the 99 but the M&P felt really nice in my hand,

I think it's cool that S&W is reviving the honored name Military & Police again, but I wonder how many polymer guns the market can stand.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
The thing that always annoyed me with the plastic guns is that (for the most part) they cost about as much as comparable metal ones would.
Seems like there would have been some sort of production cost savings in there, but if there was I never noticed it.... and if I'm gonna pay the same prices for both, I'd kinda prefer metal really.  
~
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
After you've carried  blown a huge chunk of meat out of your calf with a Glock, it's very hard to carry an all-metal gun or even a flashlight on that side.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
For  everyday concealed carry polymer frame guns are a real blessing. They allow carrying a standard defense caliber and plenty of ammunition in a package that is reliable, powerful and lightweight enough to easily and comfortably carry all day.

I also used to wonder why the polymer pistols were not cheaper than comparable metal guns until I learned that the nylons used are not as cheap as you might imagine compared to aluminum.

I have carried several brands of polymer guns and my current favorite is the FNP-9 mentioned in the first post. It is as lightweight as a Glock but has the DA/SA trigger I prefer on a carry gun, it is less expensive than the Glocks but just as reliableand very designed.

I am really surprised at all the jabs made about 'plastic guns' here on a site dedicated to the AR-15 which is also often referred to with similar terms and which shared the same suspicions when Armalite first introduced it.

valian
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For  everyday concealed carry polymer frame guns are a real blessing. They allow carrying a standard defense caliber and plenty of ammunition in a package that is reliable, powerful and lightweight enough to easily and comfortably carry all day.

I also used to wonder why the polymer pistols were not cheaper than comparable metal guns until I learned that the nylons used are not as cheap as you might imagine compared to aluminum.

I have carried several brands of polymer guns and my current favorite is the FNP-9 mentioned in the first post. It is as lightweight as a Glock but has the DA/SA trigger I prefer on a carry gun, it is less expensive than the Glocks but just as reliableand very designed.

I am really surprised at all the jabs made about 'plastic guns' here on a site dedicated to the AR-15 which is also often referred to with similar terms and which shared the same suspicions when Armalite first introduced it.

valian

Wow, registered for a year and a half and this is your first post. I find it fascinating what brings people out of the shadows.

Good post by the way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Resurrected thread!

I was curious as to why Kimber, FN and S&W were all suddenly hot on the 40cal plastic.

My own collection is Glock 9mm/AR-15 5.56 based, so I'm a big fan of the lightweight carry pistol and lightweight carbine.

My question was that with FIVE big players in the market (when you include Glock, H&K--SA doesn't have .gov track record) at least two are going to take a loss. Why bother?

ETA: The kimber and the S&W are definately aimed at the police market with their Brady-approved (tm) internal lock and mag disconnects. Too bad the guys using them will pay the price for "safety" equipment.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Kimber doesnt look like a High Point.  

Looks more like a Polymer Firestar 9mm

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Plastic guns are infinitely better.  It's a win-win.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Plastic guns are infinitely better.  It's a win-win.  

Not so fast when they make a good Titanium pistol,I'll sell off a lot of my collection(if needed)to buy one!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top