Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 4:58:12 AM EDT

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1138315818915&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_Ontario&call_pageid=968256289824&call_pagepath=News/Ontario

Montreal policeman faces 22 sex-assault charges

Jan. 26, 2006. 06:45 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL — A Montreal police officer has been charged with a string of violent sexual assaults that terrified a trio of communities north of Montreal for two years.

Officer Benoit Guay was charged today with 22 sexual assault charges involving seven victims after being arrested a day earlier.

"All the men and women of the Montreal police department, including myself, are in shock about these accusations," police Chief Yvan Delorme told a news conference.

Delorme said the officer is a 13-year veteran of the force and said Guay was not on duty when any of the alleged assaults took place. Few other details were offered.

"He is part of a small group of policemen. Everyone knows each other very intimately in the group," he said.

"He was one of the gang, one of them. He worked hard and no one suspected (anything)."

Guay, 34, was charged in a provincial court in Laval, north of Montreal, with 22 counts including aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping. He was being held in custody and has been suspended indefinitely without pay.

Between March 2004 and July 2005, seven young women between the ages of 15 and 20 were assaulted in Laval and the neighbouring communities of St-Jerome and Terrebonne.

According to media reports, the rapist was armed with a knife or a gun when he accosted women as they were getting off buses or walking in parks in the trio of communities north of Montreal.

One victim said the suspect asked her if she had seen his dog, then forced her at gunpoint to an area where he sexually assaulted her.

Francois Dore, Quebec provincial police spokesman for a joint investigation team that arrested Guay, said officers pored over hundreds of tips from the public over the past two years.

And he appealed to the public for any further information that may be related to the case.

"This investigating is an ongoing process. It's not over yet," he said at a news conference in Laval.

Dore would not say what information led investigators to Guay.

"We don't want to influence any potential witnesses," he said. ``The investigation is a process that continues."

There are two officers within the Montreal police department with the same name and department officials were quick to point out that the suspect worked for a special squad.

Delorme would not specify which squad, citing the ongoing investigation, but he did say that it required the officer to undergo psychological testing prior to joining.

The tests did not raise any suspicions, he said.

"No one, not even his friends suspected anything," Delorme said.

The investigation that led to the charges involved officers from the provincial police as well as forces in Montreal, Laval, St-Jerome and Terrebonne.

"After all the process, if he is guilty he will be fired," Delorme said.

Despite the charges, Delorme said he has complete confidence in the members of the Montreal police force.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
"Vien ici, mon cheris."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
"After all the process, if he is guilty he will be fired," Delorme said
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]

"He is part of a small group of policemen. Everyone knows each other very intimately in the group," he said.

Cop orgy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
To quote one of our ARFCOM brothers:

"A cop tells you to do something you fucking do it. I shit you not when I say: "the life you save may be your own"

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The death penalty should be used in cases such as this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]

There are two officers within the Montreal police department with the same name and department officials were quick to point out that the suspect worked for a special squad.

Talk about bad luck!  It's bad enough being named Benoit Guay, but to work for the same department as this criminal with the same name is horrible.  Poor guy.z
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"A cop tells you to do something you fucking do it. I shit you not when I say: "the life you save may be your own"

Relevance?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relevance?

Not all cops have your best interest at heart? Some are bad guys and cross the line into criminal activity? Need me to spell it out? I don't hate cops. I want to be one, but this sort of shit makes me sick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relevance?

Not all cops have your best interest at heart? Some are bad guys and cross the line into criminal activity? Need me to spell it out? I don't hate cops. I want to be one, but this sort of shit makes me sick.

I arrested an auto mechanic for murder. Therefore, not all auto mechanics have your best interest at heart. Some cross the line into criminal activity. The simplicity of your reasoning is stunning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relevance?

I arrested an auto mechanic for murder. Therefore, not all auto mechanics have your best interest at heart. Some cross the line into criminal activity. The simplicity of your reasoning is stunning.

Pssssst...it's all about cop bashing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relevance?

Funny, because these statements all logically follow perfectly.

"Not all auto mechanics have your best interest at heart."  - True, at least one has homicidal tendencies.

"Some cross the line into criminal activity."  - True.  One potentially committed murder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top