Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2001 7:51:46 PM EDT
I was watching CNN live today with the amusement I haven't experienced since I saw Clinton explain the blue dress.  Now mind me, if you like Dale and/or are a NASCAR fan, I'm not saying you are white trash.  By no means.  But I am saying, the WT that are ALSO fans were out in full force today leaving flowers and talking about how great he was.

How the heck do they know?  They don't know him.

"He were the best man in racing."

duh, how many drivers did you know?

"He were a good family man."

How do you know?  Maybe he beat his wife.  Maybe he chased skirt.

"He were a fine man...."  etc etc

None of these people know the man.  And let's really look at who he was.  He was a RACE CAR DRIVER.  The man didn't cure cancer, remove landmines that were injuring children, die for his country.  

Oh how this silly hero worship kills me.  Ok, so you idolized him.  Let's not make him out to be Jesus Christ (or Mohammed, depending on where you were raised :) )

Amazing to me the average vocabulary level of the tornado magnet population leaving flowers for the guy was about the 3rd grade...
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
DFTFT
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
"AND WOE BE UNTO THOSE WHO MOCK THE DEAD"

P.S. AND THE MOURNERS OF THE DEAD.                      
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
nut-case, party of one....your table is ready.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
P.S.-..."The dead NASCAR guy." Hilarious!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well Rimfire, it's good that I mock not the dead, but his tornado magnet trailer trash fans!

:)
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't know him from a mountain of shit, but his fellow drivers didn't like him very much before this. Now, somehow, he's eligible for sainthood.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Well put. But he is a legend, no denying that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see TI's point . It is like the fans of NBA basketball and NFL football . The media and tv stations idolize them. They make the average Joe blo's kids want to walk around with those stupid jerseys on . Why not idolize someone like Robert E. Lee or some President (NOT CLINTON). However , it is not morally right to speak of his following this way .
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t know much about him except that he was a very good driver, but I do have this to say about his “trailer trash fans”. I am tired of people making heroes of sports personalities and other famous people who they do not know. A hero is someone who does something like risk their life to save someone else, not some jerk who is uneducated and can’t even speak intelligently and only knows how to throw a rotten basketball, football etc. As far as race drivers are concerned at least they seem to behave better then those “basketball players” and are probably very nice people. In fact the nicest people in sports seem to be the Rodeo Riders, they at least act like gentleman in the area and I have never seen one give the finger or swear at an official, unlike some high class tennis players I have seen and heard about. I also feel that placing flowers is stupid and only serves to make the person placing the flowers feel more important. With this said, I have to say that I feel bad that he had to die with so much of his life left but at least he died doing what he enjoyed doing. May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Ditto to what SNIPER said.Too many idol worshipers that look up to sports celebs.,hollywood types,etc.In my opinion,there is ONLY one, that we should be looking up to.It was a tragic death but I would say a prayer for the guy that was killed in a wreck doen the street just the same.And hope he knew the LORD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess it's a personal thing on how we choose our "hero's".Maybe it's something they do we wish we could do ourselves.Maybe it's character,or lack their of,that we find intriguing.Who knows.As for NASCAR,I personally find it rather dull.I'am not really impressed with some guy who goes around a track 150 times in a series of lefthand turns.And competitive? How many of those drivers really have a chance of winning a race,let alone a Championship?But I digress.For me,the closest thing to a hero have always been guys who put their asses on the line for the benefit of others.After hearing my grandfathers stories about the fighting in Normandy durning WWII, where he fought with the 9th Infantry,I did'nt have to look far.I just can't imagine being 19,sent thousands of miles from home to go and kill someone you don't even know,and praying to god that same guy does'nt kill you or your buddy first.My Grandpa made it three months (he was considered an oldtimer)before he was severly wounded and sent home.He never owned or shot a gun again.I can understand why.I miss him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#13]
In this world if you are famous, have lots of money, and die by your own stupidity; The world worship you as a hero. Anything honorable that the average joe does people really don't give a sh!t.

Makes me sick.  I hope more stars would hurry up and die (the ones that are full of themselves anyway).  It makes the nightly news more interesting to watch. I feel good knowing that "SH!T" can happen to these people as well as anyone of us.  

As for Dale, I can't comment because I don't really know what he did to benifit man kind. Maybe he gave us joy and entertainment. People only go to car races just hoping to see a crash anyway.  I guess he gave the peoples what the wanted to see that day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
You want to see heros in action???
Wait till November 2nd then go watch the
movie "BLACKHAWK DOWN" and before that
read the book. Now there are heros! : )
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Talk about White Trailer Trash, do you guys remember "JWB's" posts from the old AR15.com ??

Whew!  At least they don't allow that type of garbage on this new system.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
How can you put a price on a life????

Apparently, Dale earnhart could.

He knew the risks. Heck, three other drivers died in crashes in the previous nine months.

He cashed the checks. He bowed for the adoring throngs. He took the endorsement deals. He died doing what he loved to do. We should ALL be so lucky.

I DO feel for his family. They deserved to have a father, husband, friend. Now they don't. We ALL make our choices.

I DO NOT understand the "fan mentality" however. I JUST HAPPENED to have the last five laps of the race on. I saw it happen. When I heard of his untimely death, I thought "Life is so very fragile. Treasure each moment."

But I don't get the hero worship aspect. I still have mental pictures of a red-faced drunk screaming at the top of his lungs "we love you, Dale" and "we'll never forget you."

Whatever, man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Paul 308, please, give us one example.

Hcocker, I'm not saying he wasn't loved.  He seemed to be an OK guy, and I'm not slamming him.  He apparantly was good to the shooting sports as well.

But for someone who never even met the man to go up and start crying saying that he was the greatest hero they ever knew, give me a break.  I was watching the story of the 551 at the Battle of the Bulge.  They were calling one of the "survivors" of the battle a "hero."  He said "No, I survived.  Most of my platoon and I knew we were going to die.  We all went happily for our country.  And they did die.  They were the heros."

Ok, now compare that to some rich guy who drives cars.  He's being called a hero because he never turned a fan away for an autograph?  Pahleese!  Give me a million bucks and I'll never turn a fan away.

I feel sorry for him to have died so early in life.  I feel sorry for his family.  But to call him the greatest hero you ever knew says much about your life.  That you are ignorant.  Combine that with no front teeth and poor grammar skills, it stirs visions of white trash.

No more and no less than the hero worship that we see in the NBA, NFL, and in pro baseball.  

I could understand people crying for JFK or the Oklahoma bombing.  That was an attack (regardless of the actual victim that died) on our country and a betrayal of our people.  Sure I wouldn't have taken it too hard if Clinton were assassinated, but I would take it as an attack on the Office, and on the Country.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
He knew the odds.

I wonder how many people died of exposure tonite? Didn't hear on the news. They contribute as much as media-idols.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
How the heck do you know they never met him? You are ASSuming they didn't know him. Maybe they did as he was a very personable man. My Uncle met as well as my Cousin. They raced elf carts against each other, spending a whole evening the man. So shut the fuck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I like racing.
That is why I dont like NASTYCAR.
Dale Evans recently died too. She was a pistol packing cowgirl, her and Roy have a nice museum with lots of old but pretty revolvers on display, and for the Christians, she wrote the song "Jesus Loves Me". No body`s bawling their eyes out about her.
No disrespect to Dale Ernhardt as I`m sure he was worthy of his deity like status.
Honestly I woulda never guessed his death would sow discord among us.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Good post EdSr.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#23]
When I saw how these people were acting over Dale Earnharts death I thought it was pretty pathetic, then I thought a bit about the man and our times.  

The fact is, compared to what passes for a "hero" today, Dale Earnhart holds up pretty well.

His life demonstrated a belief in hard work and personal achivement.  He was a fierce competitor who wanted to win and struggled to make that happen.  He was known as the Intimidator, but I've never heard of him being accused of doing anything that was beyond the bounds of the sport.  He was respected by his peers.

He never had his pregnant girlfriend murdered, he's never been busted for cocaine, he never got caught having sex with an intern and then go on national tv to tell us all he did not have sex with that woman.

Yep, all things considered, you could do a lot worse than choosing Dale Earnhart as a hero.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Awwwwwhhhh gee....give the trailer trash a break will you Ti? They have so little in their lives and less when the next hurricane whips through NC.
How would like it if your soupcan home and 19 inch Goldstar TV was found in the next county?

I have a tough time respecting or feeling any remorse for a person that doesn't take the necessary safety precautions when driving 180 miles per hour.

I feel for his family but they also knew the risks and he continue to push those risks. This time he paid.

Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of you guys are unreal! Stick to a topic you know something about, such as the AR, and let a fine American rest in peace.  If you had any idea of where Dale came from as a kid, and just what his personal hobbies outside of racing consist(ed) of, you may have a different impression of the guy. Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#26]
A man is just a man.
And Real drivers turn left AND right. CART !!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Dale was an outdoorsman who loved to hunt and fish. He also loved to race cars. A lot of the people who loved Dale are the same ones who live next to you and would be the first there to help you if you needed it. The majority of NASCAR fans are pro-gun and pro-American.
I have always held to the belief that Ed Sr. said "If you can't say anything good about someone don't say anything at all".
Just my .02 worth.   DNFTT.
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#28]
What I don't understand is why some of you are busting on people simply because they admired someone.  "White Trash?"  C'mon.  Do you always ridicule people you have nothing in common with? So what if they thought Earnhardt was the greatest thing since white bread?  What is it to you?  These people feel they have lost someone very important in their lives.  Let 'em greve.

At a time when pro atheletes are arrested for murder or selling/doing drugs, I certainly think there could be worse role models.

[grenade]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Steve, just because you meet someone doesn't mean you know them.  Don't be telling people to shut the *(&^& up.  All these messages people are writing on signs, etc are really silly, since the person they are directed to can't read them since he is dead.  They need to get a life.  NASCAR is nothing but pro wrestling on wheels anyway.  I have said for years that they pay lip service to safety but do very little along those lines.  They don't examine a car that has been involved in a fatal wreck, whereas every other sanctioning body in the world does.  NASCAR just puts a tarp over it and gives it back to the team.  There is no way that wreck should have killed him.  Someone will ask, how do I know these things?  I have raced sports cars and worked rescue at races for the last 16 years.  NASCAR is a joke.  Don't misunderstand, I am sorry he is dead, but as someone said he died doing what he loved.  Most of us want to go out doing what we loved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Ramjet:
He did take safety to heart.  However, stock cars and open wheel cars are completely different.  The damn media is going after this angle like gun control.  For example safety locks.  What is good for one person is not good for another. Plus not a darn thing could have saved him.  Remember that the brain is free floating and hit tends to crash into the front of the skull durring an accident.  If he had survived the crash because of the HANS his family would have been feeding him through a feeding tube.
Also for yall outthere NASCAR is a familly and we did know Earnhardt off the track.  He always made time for his kids. I remmember his taking his daughters fishing on Hank Parker Outdoors or watching his daughter shoot her first deer.  He was a great guy and will be missed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I've met the guy that spun him (Schrader) that count for anything?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
[i]snip[[/i]  NASCAR is nothing but pro wrestling on wheels anyway.  I have said for years that they pay lip service to safety but do very little along those lines.  They don't examine a car that has been involved in a fatal wreck, whereas every other sanctioning body in the world does.  NASCAR just puts a tarp over it and gives it back to the team.  There is no way that wreck should have killed him.  Someone will ask, how do I know these things?  I have raced sports cars and worked rescue at races for the last 16 years.  NASCAR is a joke.  Don't misunderstand, I am sorry he is dead, but as someone said he died doing what he loved.  Most of us want to go out doing what we loved.
View Quote

Larry,
Ditto, I have, and am currently involved in road racing. When not being a part of the race I work extracation. I am sorry, but Chuck Yeager said it best [i]"There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but no such thing as old bold pilots[/i]. DE, was arrogant, that was him! and arrogance will get you killed. He was too arrogant to use the neck brace that is required in F1(true racing, left and right turns @200mph), even after his neck injury a couple years ago. Arrogance.  His "blocking" of faster cars, this too will get you flagged in real racing. Arrogant. Somewhere, sometime there is going to be someone smarter, and faster, that is the time for you to step aside. I am sorry for his family and the NASCAR community, as I was for the Petty family loss, but in this sport, if you are going to play, you are going to pay. A friend of mine this past year was killed at the Bonderant School in a simular way, an accident,his wife had given him the school trip as a 25th wedding present.   It is better to live 1 day as a Lion than a lifetime as a lamb, that is what he did, and he paid the price. Tomorrow the sun comes up, and someone will move into his spot, the nature of the beast.

BTW, my friend that was killed was doctor, who knew about the HANS brace, and chose not to use it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't follow racing or know much about the deceased, but perhaps we might come a little closer to understanding eachother on this if two questions are answered:
1.  What do we mean by the term "hero?"
2.  What did DE do that was "heroic?"
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Never befor have I read so many negative, uninformed and down right stupid posts......I don't consider Dale a hero. But I have been a fan for close to twenty years, Those of you that speek ill of him or employ 20/20 hindsight to put him down are as low and dim witted as the anti gunners we all hate so much..."I don't care what you say or that I know nothing about which I speak..I'm right and your wrong ! "   SOUND FAMILIAR ???  hanging everything on one person perhaps using the wrong word to describe him is typical anti-gun tactics.  
I will personally miss the man, and no, I never met him, Doesn't matter. do a little research on him and you'll find a man the came from virtually nowhere....worked hard and made something of himself...stuff I watched happen over the last twenty years.....I don't care if he meant nothing to you....he did to me...

BD

"Strength is in Unity"

P.S.
It's also my belief that the people that talk ,excuse me, TYPE a bunch of shit ie. "trailer trash fans" are the people that wouldn't say shit if you were standing face to face....
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess some people open their mouths or let their finger run without engaging their brains.

I love racing. I'm not a fanatical fan and have die-cast cars and pennants hanging all over the place, but I still love all motorsports.  I don't condemn or belittle those that do have these thing even though I might find it obsessive.

I wasn't particularly a fan of Dale's but I don't consider fans of his deserving of title "Trailer Trash".  

I don't think anyone on this board like's some of the tags and names that are given to us gun owners by people that don't share our interest. If you want to have rights learn to respect other's and keep your yap shut. Are you just a Damn lunatic with a gun?  One shouldn't dish out what they don't feel their deserving to take.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't follow racing or know much about the deceased, but perhaps we might come a little closer to understanding eachother on this if two questions are answered:
1.  What do we mean by the term "hero?"
2.  What did DE do that was "heroic?"
View Quote

Hero (hîr'o)

1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.

2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.

3. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.

4. The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

I believe you could make a case that he was noted for special achievement in the field of stock car racing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#37]
My god i cant belive the filth i have read here ..Dale was one of if not the greatest champion of all time in all of motorsports! People are greaving over this because if you had half a brain and or heart you would take into account that he had family and friends and people that did truly KNOW him and LOVED him sit and think about how hard it is to lose someone you love... personaly my dad is my best friend and i dont know what is going to happen to me when he dies ... i love my father more that words can express as Dales family loved him.you people that think that nascar is the WWF of racing are just plain ignorent.you go get a 750 horsepower machine and fight that car around a track for 500 miles with 40 other cars doing 180mph  and tell me is a joke then..your little sissy asses couldnt do it for 100 miles let alone 500 well my point being is have a heart people .a man is dead and wether he was your hero or not it is a great loss to the ones the loved him
Mike
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Driving a car is a sport?

How about woodworking?

Billiards?

Pro gardening?

Full contact card playing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't follow racing. Never got in to watching a bunch of guys loop an oval track for 500 miles. Just never appealed to me. The term "sport" has now been attached to Olympic Ballroom dancing, so I guess we can lump NASCAR in to the "sport" catagory too. Just because something is difficult does NOT qualify it as a sport in my opinion.

However, from what I have read, he seemed like a solid performer to say the least, and a great guy to those who knew him. For them, those who knew him personally, I can understand how tragic his death is.

As for the fans who never met or knew him personally, and who shed tears over his death, that seems a wee bit over board to me. Yeah, there's been people who's work or craft I greatly admired, and who died young. It's a shame, and they'll be missed, but by no means a reason to get all emotional over.

He died doing what he loved, he made a TON of money doing it, was highly admired and is considered a legond by his fans. There's TONS of people who die every day, in horrible circumstances, without fame, money or much support. They die annonymously and frequently lonely. Sounds like Dale made out better than most to me, a LOT better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#41]
He also hunted at the local BUCKMASTERS thing here that benifits charities. Just what I saw on TV. A good guy maybe , but a hero , I don't think so . I like the post where the guy spoke of his grandfather and being in the WAR. Now that is a hero. He probably killed some of the enemies that would have shot our grandfathers. Mine was over there fighting the JAPS. He said that a rifle butt makes a good tool in CQB in a foxhole. [smash]I miss him. He was a Marine. I miss him .
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#42]
One thing sure has not changed around here...our polarity with ANY given issue.

That is what makes AR15.com the best discussion forum to hang out in!

But....Opinions allowed, Dale Earnhardt, the copywrited, packaged and sold business. He was and STILL is marketing, the persona pushed the products, the racing was corporate driven much like any other major media manufactured ICON. IF  NASCAR was never ever broadcast on TV, the mechanics of product placement, NASCAR would have died long ago.

Dale had a high risk job which paid a high risk payday. Sometimes you lose the gamble on the risk factor.

As Forrest Gump sez...  "It Happens..."

Railgun.....[rail]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I work for Tony Stewart's main sponser, so I was watching the race with him as my main focus.  I'm still trying to figure out how he lived through his accident after taking flight in his car.  His accident seemed much more severe than Earnhardt's.  Go figure!
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I now understand why people want my firearms....it's because of people like some of the posters here....Don't know when to keep there fucking mouth shut......well....I for one have had enough...those of you that are intelligent, well mannered and thoughtful, hope I run into you somewhere else...as for the rest of you panzy assed typing wanna be keyboard camandos with out the intelectual forthought to tie you fucking shoes in the morning...have your mommies pack you a nice lunch for tommorow and go jump in bed with your favorite stuffed animal.  and maybe before you head off to school in the morning you can sit down and type some more big tuff words from the safety of you living room.  It's really to bad there is no screening process....this used to be a decent place....And if you think it still is ...take a good look around..THIS my friends has turned into a trailer....oh ya...flame away if you want.....I wont be here to see it............Adi--fuckin-ose

Blackdog......................

Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Must be beerthirty for Blackdog!

Any relation to the Zed Lepplin song?

Railgun....[rail]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top