Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:33:56 PM EDT
TO MODERATORS:  I posted this in the "Deployment" forum but got no results.  Please delete the original post.  Thanks

This is a question for PMC employees. I'm going to be graduating in about 2 years with a Poli Sci degree. I'm interested in becoming an IA for BW and was hoping that someone could enlighten me with a more detailed summary of their duties and Blackwater employment standards for this position. I would guess that fresh meat, out of college applicants are not considered?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute to this topic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You best have prior military and/or prior LE, otherwise you can basically forget it. It really, really, really, helps if you know someone on the inside.

Go apply for The State Department, they are hiring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You best have prior military and/or prior LE, otherwise you can basically forget it. It really, really, really, helps if you know someone on the inside.

So The State Department are hiring analysts?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry George I didn't see your post in "deployment".  I am a current IC with Blackwater.  Based on the limited intel about having a college degree; sorry but they won't touch you.  That will be the story with any PSD company also.  If you have any more direct questions I will answer as best I can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry George I didn't see your post in "deployment".  I am a current IC with Blackwater.  Based on the limited intel about having a college degree; sorry but they won't touch you.  That will be the story with any PSD company also.  If you have any more direct questions I will answer as best I can.

Hi Recon,

So I take it military experience is a must?  My original dream was always to be an analyst for The Central Intelligence Agency.  After some thorough research and some soul seaching I discovered that the CIA do recruit analysts straight out of college but that, as of now, I do not see myself making the military commitment.  Out of that research I came to the conclusion, "Hey, if the CIA would consider a fresh college grad, why not a PMC?".  

I guess the point of this post is to ask you for some advice on an aproach to the IA trail.  Any help would me so much appreciated.  Thanks - Jordan
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
1.  What do you think PMCs do?

2.  What makes you think a PMC would hire an analyst?

3.  The CIA would employ you on a career path that would build your experience (i.e., an entry-level job).  Why would a PMC need an inexperienced analyst?

There are defense contractors (i.e., Camber, L-3 Com) that provide analysts of various types to DOD and other government agencies.  Most (if not all) positions require a SECRET clearance and 'real-world' experience.  The USG rarely outsources entry-level requirements.

A BA in PoliSci / International Relations means you can find Liberia on a map (maybe).  Boots-on-the-ground time gets your head adjusted to the real world vice academia (reality is more 'true' than textbooks and smug professors).

If you want to be an analyst in the DOD contracting world you need credentials - as in "been there, done that."  I learned more about Africa, Europe and the Middle East on deployments there carrying a rucksack for my uncle than I ever learned out of a textbook or sitting in an air conditioned hotel room in whatever capital city.  I learned enough to wind up operating out of the US Embassy and representing our Government at the local Ministry of Defense level, wearing a suit and dealing with generals and cabinet secretaries.

And I had a BA (History / PoliSci) when I started, so I recognize its value.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

2.  What makes you think a PMC would hire an analyst?

I do know that the Intel Analyst position exists. I was going by that.

Quoted:3. ...Why would a PMC need an inexperienced analyst?

That's the reason I started this thread - to have that question answered.  Now I have the answer and now I can pursue other careers.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
George

To be an intelligence analyst you need to be trained to do it.  No DOD contractor or PMC is going to train you from scratch when they can hire a guy who is fully trained (there is always a need for additional OJT / professional development).

My friend who is a contractor working at an OGA has a BA in Middle Eastern Studies and a MA in International Relations - as well as being very close to a PhD, plus 12 years of tactical and operational level intelligence experience, plus extensive Middle Eastern 'hands-on' experience running tactical human intelligence and doing theater-level analysis, plus speaks / reads / writes Arabic with near-native fluency.  She got hired last year, after being medically retired from the Army as an entry-level intel analyst..

If you want to be an intel analyst, there are two routes.  

One is the military.  Enlist as an intel analyst, get a TS, spend a few years in the salt mines, learn a language (just for grins, Arabic comes to mind).  

The other is as a civilian in an intelligence agency (CIA, DIA, NSA).  Similar training progression, only you'll do it all out of a cubicle and when airplanes get flown into buildings its the "CYA shuffle".

The few breakout geniuses that start off in think-tanks, etc. and are talking heads on TV are the exception to the rule (and most are academic asshats who wouldn't recognize reality if it bit them anyway).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
TO MODERATORS:  I posted this in the "Deployment" forum but got no results.  Please delete the original post.  Thanks

This is a question for PMC employees. I'm going to be graduating in about 2 years with a Poli Sci degree. I'm interested in becoming an IA for BW and was hoping that someone could enlighten me with a more detailed summary of their duties and Blackwater employment standards for this position. I would guess that fresh meat, out of college applicants are not considered?

You ain't qualified to be a water boy for BW.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
, "Hey, if the CIA would consider a fresh college grad, why not a PMC?".  

Because the PMC's have higher standards?  Seriously they are for-profit companies if they screw up there are consequences.  If the CIA screws up just don't be the last one holding the hot potato, otherwise nothing bad will happen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone threw some self righteous spew at me.  Now I know why so many people stay away from the General Discussion forum.

I never suggested that I was even qualified to clean their friggin toilets nor did I suggest I was ready to knock on Blackwater's door and ask for a job.  This started with a small little dream that I obviously knew nothing about which is why I posted this thread in the first place.  I my oh so warped imagination  I thought that maybe there was an entry level position that involved sifting through intel of insurgent movement and contrasting it with a client's schedule and then briefing the PSS's.   [insert Modog rely here] Now with the constructive and counter-constructive replies I know that I there is not a place for me in the PMC world right now (thanks to Modog's little piece of brilliance up there) or 60 credit hours later after I graduate. .  Thank you and have a great day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone threw some self righteous spew at me.  Now I know why so many people stay away from the General Discussion forum.

I never suggested that I was even qualified to clean their friggin toilets nor did I suggest I was ready to knock on Blackwater's door and ask for a job.  This started with a small little dream that I obviously knew nothing about which is why I posted this thread in the first place.  I my oh so warped imagination  I thought that maybe there was an entry level position that involved sifting through intel of insurgent movement and contrasting it with a client's schedule and then briefing the PSS's.   [insert Modog rely here] Now with the constructive and counter-constructive replies I know that I there is not a place for me in the PMC world right now (thanks to Modog's little piece of brilliance up there) or 60 credit hours later after I graduate. .  Thank you and have a great day.

Hey, dude, you know what?  Fuck you and your self-righteous ass.  I am an 11B and a 97B with a goddamn master's degree and they won't hire ME because I don't have enough operational experience.  Who the fuck are you?

<mods, I'm sorry...this shit just chafes my nutsack.>
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably, I haven't checked lately.

ODA is spot on.

CIA, State, Commerce is really good, and a few others. That is where you want to look because they have the capability and money to train you their way. Getting a clearance is expensive and time consuming, companies outside of the government have to hire you and then get you the clearance (if you don't already have one.) They have to pay you and find you a place to work within the company doing something fairly useless until you can get you clearance... 6mo-1.5yrs. That is expensive.

There is always the Peace Corps , media outlets, or you could go to law school...

Certainly one of your upper level instructors has worked for a government agency and can explain how things are done, what can make you more attractive to them, and your options. If you don't have any such instructors, I suggest you find another University.

Books and degrees don't replace experience... I tried to explain this to my 22yr 4.0 ex-girlfriend and she just never seemed to get it... Which makes me wonder who she was banging to get the 4.0
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ODA is spot on.

CIA, State, and a few others. That is where you want to look because they have the capability and money to train you their way. Getting a clearance is expensive and time consuming, companies outside of the government have to hire you and then get you the clearance (if you don't already have one.) They have to pay you and find you a place to work within the company doing something fairly useless until you can get you clearance... 6mo-1.5yrs. That is expensive.

There is always the Peace Corps or you could go to law school.

Certainly one of your upper level instructors has worked for a government agency and can explain how things are done, what can make you more attractive to them, and your options. If you don't have any such instructors, I suggest you find another University.

Being in the Peace Corps can be a bar to a security clearance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ODA is spot on.

CIA, State, and a few others. That is where you want to look because they have the capability and money to train you their way. Getting a clearance is expensive and time consuming, companies outside of the government have to hire you and then get you the clearance (if you don't already have one.) They have to pay you and find you a place to work within the company doing something fairly useless until you can get you clearance... 6mo-1.5yrs. That is expensive.

modog... I was making a joke. But, I never knew that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
or you could go to law school...

That's was the orignial plan.  I certainly have no desire to practice but that certainly opens a lot more doors.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ODA is spot on.

modog... I was making a joke. But, I never knew that.

Yep.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hey, dude, you know what?  Fuck you and your self-righteous ass.  I am an 11B and a 97B with a goddamn master's degree and they won't hire ME because I don't have enough operational experience.  Who the fuck are you?

<mods, I'm sorry...this shit just chafes my nutsack.>

Wow!  Just....wow.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Most of the executive branch depts/agencies have intelligence functions.  You need to coordinate more closely with your academic career people regarding this and research further. There are a number of online career resources and e-mail lists for this career field, but you really need to get trained, and the only folks doing it are .gov and .mil.

What he said:  get cleared, hired, spend some time in the salt mines, get your 2nd clearance, then start looking. There are hundreds of companies, most of which you've never heard of, willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to do the same job at the same desk. Really. Truly.

But you've gotta pay your dues up front.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#19]
If you have to ask your not Qualified.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks man.  Wow I never thought about that...how profound?  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
whats up with modog? wonder what the masters is in?

Anyway, GeorgeW, my advice would be to go to the State Dept. That is the most likely route if you don't go to law school...course then you could go to the FBI perhaps.

I had a funny experience with the CIA right out of college and the .gov agency I work for has facilities close to their HQ.  Interesting to say the least but I am not sure what colleges they recruit at (if they do) so you will likely have to contact them directly.  I hope you have good grades though. It will be a factor.

If you have two years left, and you are a PT dynamo and severely smart, you could go the ROTC route to become an officer. It looks really good on your resume even if you don't go active duty and seek public or private employment. You may even be able to get a scholarship for the remaining years.  I am not sure of the current officer situation in the ARMY and ROTC but you could probably go active duty if you want (when I graduated, there was a RIF and very difficult to get active duty).  It wouldn't hurt to go talk to the ROTC Cadre at your local school.

just my .02, ymmv
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
whats up with modog? wonder what the masters is in?

Anyway, GeorgeW, my advice would be to go to the State Dept. That is the most likely route if you don't go to law school...course then you could go to the FBI perhaps.

I had a funny experience with the CIA right out of college and the .gov agency I work for has facilities close to their HQ.  Interesting to say the least but I am not sure what colleges they recruit at (if they do) so you will likely have to contact them directly.  I hope you have good grades though. It will be a factor.

If you have two years left, and you are a PT dynamo and severely smart, you could go the ROTC route to become an officer. It looks really good on your resume even if you don't go active duty and seek public or private employment. You may even be able to get a scholarship for the remaining years.  I am not sure of the current officer situation in the ARMY and ROTC but you could probably go active duty if you want (when I graduated, there was a RIF and very difficult to get active duty).  It wouldn't hurt to go talk to the ROTC Cadre at your local school.

just my .02, ymmv

I was poking around on the CIA's site a while back and found this:

Counterterrorism Analyst
Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $39,262 - $81,747

Counterterrorism Analysts assess developments related to terrorism worldwide in support of US policymakers. They monitor and assess the leadership, motivations, plans and intentions of foreign terrorist groups and their state and non-state sponsors. Counterterrorism Analysts also produce a range of current and longer-term intelligence products, brief key US policymakers and provide tactical analytic support to law enforcement and intelligence operations. Agency analysts are encouraged to maintain and broaden their professional ties through academic study, contacts and attendance at professional meetings. They may also choose to pursue additional studies in fields relevant to their areas of responsibility. Opportunities exist for foreign travel, language training, analytic and management training, and assignments in other offices in the Agency and throughout the US Government.

Minimum requirements include a bachelor's or master's degree in international affairs, national security studies or related subjects, preferably with a strong Middle East or South Asia focus or other regional expertise. Strong skills in written and oral English and excellent analytical ability, solid interpersonal skills, and the ability to work under tight deadlines are also required, as is a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. Foreign language proficiency and foreign area knowledge gained through study, travel or work abroad is desired.

All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.

To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.

Minimum 3.0???  I'm with you in thinking that it would have been way waaaaay higher.  

BTW - Thanks for the chock-full-o class reply.  What a beathe of fresh air.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Minimum 3.0???  I'm with you in thinking that it would have been way waaaaay higher.  

For example, the engineering departments at my school have a minimum GPA of 2.5.  However, in reality it's more like a 3.3.  The average GPA is a 3.6 and I think the practical minimum is 3.0.

They don't want to set an absolute bottom too high, because they want exceptions to be made.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man.  Wow I never thought about that...how profound?  

Your replies so far have not warranted enough of my time to correct my spelling and grammer.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#25]
This looks like it's heading to a quick lock, but...

From BW website:

Intelligence Analyst (IA)

ROLE: Analyze intelligence in support of the PRS Detail(s) and Diplomatic Mission.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
Monitor and analyze threat intelligence and assess this information for credibility, urgency, and specific target information. Access pertinent intelligence information from an intelligence processing computer system. Write daily Intelligence Summary Report for applicable PSS detail(s). Write assessments and spot reports as needed. Brief special AIC on security concerns pertaining to the personnel protective detail on a daily or weekly basis. Deliver daily Intelligence Summary to locations designated in Task Order. Notify/communicate urgent threat information to the AIC. Perform liaison work with U.S. officials and military units on site and long distance with counterparts in DS on a daily basis.

QUALIFICATIONS:
U.S. Citizen
Level 3 English proficiency.
Two (2) years of intelligence analytical experience.

Further qualifications include:

* Able to accurately and concisely communicate threat and security information via written products/assessments.
   * Able to accurately and concisely communicate threat and security information via verbal briefings.
   * Possess a strong ability to analyze intelligence information and disseminate the information to the protective detail and other security personnel.
   * Willing to perform shift work.
   * Willing and able to travel to hostile regions.
   * Willing and able to live in high-threat environments

These top tier contracts require proficient, experienced people.  Most are former military intel guys.  Before you can apply for a job like this you will need experience, which college does not provide.  Find an entry level govt/military job and get that experience.  On a side note: private security is a cut-throat business, you can be fired very easily.  I know you're young and pretty inexperienced, but aspiring to work for BW as a career could be a mistake.  You may have the job today, making good money, and tomorrow, you're on a plane home.  There is zero job security.

PSS Requirements:

YOU MUST MEET OR EXCEED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: Must have minimum of one (1) year experience in providing protective security services in: special operations, US military special forces, US Secret Service, or other federal agencies, commercial executive protection services, or law enforcement experience (i.e. US Military Police/Criminal Investigation Division, local & state law enforcement agencies).

PLUS these BSC Requirements:

* Must be willing and able to deploy overseas for at least 6 months.
   * Must be a U.S. Citizen, proof of citizenship required (copy of Blue Tourist Passport)
   * Must be able to pass a general health physical.
   * Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
   * Weight must be proportionate to height.
   * Must be able to pass a physical fitness test.
   * Must present and maintain a neat and clean appearance.
   * No history of major illness or mental disorder.
   * Experience must be verifiable, submit a DD-214 or other paperwork that can be
     independently verified.

* Must have an Honorable Discharge.
   * Must possess good written and verbal communications skills in English.
   * No felony or violent crime convictions (NO WAIVERS).
   * No personal bankruptcy or outstanding credit deliquency within seven years.
   * No DUI or illegal drug use history within seven years.
   * No spouse abuse or domestic violence conviction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I was just going to point out that Backwater is advertising for IA's, but already done :)  Now I have never met one working for us though, everyone has been trainers, contractors, and some admin types.  As already harshy pointed out, the military experience is pretty much a must have, as is the "been there, got the t-shirt" practical experience.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#27]
And minimum requirements are exactly that, minimum requirements.

In a hiring 'shoot out', CIA or anyone else is going to hire the most qualified candidate (the one that exceeds the minimum standards the most) except when 'equal opportunity' comes into play (i.e., they need to hire a black Asian Lesbian with a Hispanic surname) or a unique need (i.e., the minimally qualified candidate speaks Urdu fluently at the near native level and they need that).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I do not see myself making the military commitment.

Precisely one of the reasons you will not work in the PMC field.  Prior experience, (a good deal of it), is the name of the game, and even then it helps to have friends.  What strikes me as strange is that you want to work for a military company, but have no desire to be in the military?  Not flaming, it just strikes me as wierd, and kinda scary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The forums over at SOCNET will be a great source of information for what you're looking for, but believe me, those folks have little tolerance for folks who are not "BTDT" (been there, done that). If you register, you need to tread lightly and even PM'ing some of the guys there for more info ain't a bad idea.

BTW, that forum appears to be down due to some tech problems right now. Bookmark it and check back for later use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The forums over at SOCNET will be a great source of information for what you're looking for, but believe me, those folks have little tolerance for folks who are not "BTDT" (been there, done that). If you register, you need to tread lightly and even PM'ing some of the guys there for more info ain't a bad idea.

BTW, that forum appears to be down due to some tech problems right now. Bookmark it and check back for later use.

Now here I was trying to be nice to the kid, and you gotta do THAT to him.  Is that really necessary?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#32]
You are the one that asked for info. The answers are simple, although they are probably a bit unpleasent.

No PMC worth working for will hire you with no experience. A Poli Sci degree may get you in the door to an agency that has a training program, like the CIA, but it isn't enough to get you a rejection letter from a decent PMC.

This has been covered in a number of different posts on this board and several others.

Relevant experience is REQUIRED for any PMC job worth having. There are companies that don't care, but they are not ones you want to work for.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top