Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:37:55 PM EDT
It's that time of year again.  The Rolex24 at Daytona will be running Saturday and Sunday.

I am leaving tommorrow and will be working Turn 5.

Y'all watch on Speed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. I used to watch all the racing I could when I had Speedvision. That is before I had to pay additional to get it and a bunch of worthless channels I would never watch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I made it there 2 years ago and sat through it in the pouring rain.  I lived right where I-4 turns into SR 400.  Prior to that the cars just kept me up at night so I figured what the heck, I might as well join the party.  I remember you mentioning that you were there at the same time as me.

Lots of fun.  I don't know who won or anything, but there was a totally sweet Lexus with a great exhaust growl.

Have fun, I hope the weather is good for you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Am in Cocoa Beach doing some training. Drove up to Daytona Sunday for shits and giggles. Might have to go back up this next weekend I guess.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Am in Cocoa Beach doing some training. Drove up to Daytona Sunday for shits and giggles. Might have to go back up this next weekend I guess.

Aviator

I will be at Turn 5.  I will have my white Frontier crew cab, Georgia tag.  It will be parked between the spectator fence and the guard rail.  When you read the tag, you will KNOW it is me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.

What do you do LARRYG?

I love that race......but mainly because the Bud Shootout( or whatever they call it nowdays is getting close)

I'll look for ya.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cool.

What do you do LARRYG?

I love that race......but mainly because the Bud Shootout( or whatever they call it nowdays is getting close)

I'll look for ya.

I am an SCCA corner worker.  We man the corners for the Rolex24.  We work corners for several pro series anytime they run on a road course in addition to our club racing.

If there is a road course race in the US involving cars, SCCA staffs the corners.  Some of the bike series have their own people, but they are insane anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am an SCCA corner worker.  We man the corners for the Rolex24.  We work corners for several pro series anytime they run on a road course in addition to our club racing.

If there is a road course race in the US involving cars, SCCA staffs the corners.  Some of the bike series have their own people, but they are insane anyway.

I'm gonna hit you up for VIP passes some day in the future........you should have known better than to post this kind of info.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna hit you up for VIP passes some day in the future........you should have known better than to post this kind of info.

I don't know about VIP passes, but I can get guest passes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally, the start of racing season.

Bahrain, Long Beach, and  Sebring are still a long ways off though.

Don't forget to post pics!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

LOL

What is that quote about beggers and choosers?

I have friend who has a NASCAR hard card.

Wow at the cool shit you can do during a Cup weekend when you are with someone who has one of those.

Pit road during both the Busch and Cup race. The driver's motorcoach area. The garage during the race and practice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

What is that quote about beggers and choosers?

I have friend who has a NASCAR hard card.

Wow at the cool shit you can do during a Cup weekend when you are with someone who has one of those.

Pit road during both the Busch and Cup race. The driver's motorcoach area. The garage during the race and practice.

Being 5 feet or so from the cars as they go by is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got two friends...both with GTO's that will be lapping the track behind the pace care.  One is a 2004 yellow GTO and the other is a 2005 Silver with black stripes.  The guy with the yellow GTO is working the pit for the entire 24 hours.

Anyway...the point of my story...i'll be there if anyone wants to meet up and get a beer.  Guns, cars, and beer.  Great combinations.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Daytona??  Yeah, I'll be there...well, I live here.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Being 5 feet or so from the cars as they go by is pretty cool. FREAKIN AWESOME

Lucky bastard.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey somebody bring me back a t-shirt. This is the first year I cannot go since 1998. (newborn baby)

God I love the infield "carshows"....I saw an awesome 996 with a stage3 turbo two years ago...it was sick. The exhaust sounded like an old slow buzz saw....I would have liked to seen it out on I95...I bet it ran nice..

anyway you guys have fun....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey somebody bring me back a t-shirt. This is the first year I cannot go since 1998. (newborn baby)

God I love the infield "carshows"....I saw an awesome 996 with a stage3 turbo two years ago...it was sick. The exhaust sounded like an old slow buzz saw....I would have liked to seen it out on I95...I bet it ran nice..

anyway you guys have fun....

I have worked corners for that race every year since 1985 except 2002.  That year, I was working down it Barbados and could not get back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Finally, the start of racing season.

Bahrain, Long Beach, and  Sebring are still a long ways off though.

Don't forget to post pics!

I'll be there working 14 and 15.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've got two friends...both with GTO's that will be lapping the track behind the pace care.  One is a 2004 yellow GTO and the other is a 2005 Silver with black stripes.  The guy with the yellow GTO is working the pit for the entire 24 hours.

Anyway...the point of my story...i'll be there if anyone wants to meet up and get a beer.  Guns, cars, and beer.  Great combinations.

Turn 5, white Frontier with Leer cap on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Daytona??  Yeah, I'll be there...well, I live here.

Look for a white Frontier with a GA plate.  I promise you will recognize it when you see what my plate is.

What is the weather forecast down there for this weekend?  I always bring everything from shorts to ski jacket.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'll be there working 14 and 15.

Audi R10 beats last year’s Sebring pole time already  

The new Audi R10 grabbed the headlines once again on second day of the American Le Mans Series’ (ALMS) "Winter Test” in Sebring. Audi driver Dindo Capello gave the first glimpse of the new diesel sportscar’s potential: With his fastest lap of 1m 48.816s, the Audi driver dipped under last year’s pole position time by almost one second. Ulrich Baretzky, Head of Engine Technology at Audi Sport, talks about the 650 hp V12 TDI engine’s course of development and the Audi R10 test at Sebring.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turn 5, white Frontier with Leer cap on it.

I'll BOLO

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, here I am at Turn 5. We had practice and qualifying all day. We have night practice in 25 mins for 1.5 hours.  Can't wait.

Oh, it is cold as a nun's tit in a brass bra right now.

Surfing the net on my air card.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Getting ready for morning warmup.

Cars on course now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Post pics LARRYG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Post pics LARRYG.

I am using an air card while down here.  Can't upload pics.  Will post when I get home.

Today we had final qualifying for the Rolex24.  Starting over 70 cars!

We also had the Grand Am Cup race for street stock automobiles.  Very good race.  There were 71 cars in this race and we were busy.  They did not play well with each other.  Will be shown on Speed sometime in the next few weeks.  Won't spoil it by saying who won.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope y'all are watching.  These guys are doing some banging.  

Just back to the hotel.  Have to be back at 0700.

I will post pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Post pics LARRYG.

Okay, here are some.  I will do more later, but tonight just a few.

The owner of this car is a Cleveland Browns fan.  Seriously, I asked him.

Night practice.  A little blurred, but best I could do with the camera I have.

Mazda RX8.  They are running a 3 rotor engine.

A Porsche 911 during night practice.

Sunrise at Daytona Beach Friday morning.

Any longtime Camel GT fans will recognize these beauties that they had on display.

Al Holbert's Lowenbrau Porsche 962.

The Brumos Porsche 935 from the days before GTP, the GTX class.

Danny Ongais' Interscope Porsche 935.

One of the EMTs at our turn.  She is there every year.  Very damn distracting.

This is a 911 Porsche that went for a spin in the dirt during the race.

A Daytona Prototype going for a little ride.

A group of cars coming up to our turn during the race.

Another group.

Last, but not least, is Amanda.

I took this pic of her.  

When she saw it she said, and I quote:  "My boobs were crooked.  Let me straignten them and let's try this again."  The result is.

She lives in Fort Lauderdale.  I have her e-mail address.  She suggested I take it.  Hey, it's a start.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#29]
oops, double tap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool pics.

I would have offered to "straighten" Amanda's breasts.

But that's just me.

My serious suggestion would be use that email address soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Cool pics.

I would have offered to "straighten" Amanda's breasts.

But that's just me.

My serious suggestion would be use that email address soon.

I offered but she would not let me.  They aren't breasts (that sounds so clinical).  She said they were boobs, I like to call 'em tits.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice pics.  I need to see one of these races.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I offered but she would not let me.  They aren't breasts (that sounds so clinical).  She said they were boobs, I like to call 'em tits.

I was trying to be nice......just in case that is the soon to be Ms. LARRYG.

I did didn't want to say "I want to touch those tits", and one day it be your wife.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was trying to be nice......just in case that is the soon to be Ms. LARRYG.

I did didn't want to say "I want to touch those tits", and one day it be your wife.

If she is the next ex-wife, I don't know anything about it.

Hey, SHE called 'em boobs, not me.  She can call them anything she wants as long as they.............never mind.

She swears they are real and let's just say that I can believe that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Great Pics!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Used to watch NASCAR in the early 90's, but it was like watching grass grow. Lots of technical and driving talent with lots of passing, but watching that constant left turn got old. Started watching Formula 1 off and on about two/three years ago and watched my first full season of that last year. Its not much better except they do turn left and right. They need alot more passing. Whats hard to stomach is that smug european attitude the drivers have.

It would be nice if Americans could put an American driver on  a F1 championship podium.  Anyone know when the last time was an American won a F1 championship???
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Used to watch NASCAR in the early 90's, but it was like watching grass grow. Lots of technical and driving talent with lots of passing, but watching that constant left turn got old. Started watching Formula 1 off and on about two/three years ago and watched my first full season of that last year. Its not much better except they do turn left and right. They need alot more passing. Whats hard to stomach is that smug european attitude the drivers have.

It would be nice if Americans could put an American driver on  a F1 championship podium.  Anyone know when the last time was an American won a F1 championship???

I think it was Mario Andretti, a long time ago.  Michael Andretti drove F1 for a year, but he put a half-assed effort into it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Mario Andretti won the F1 Championship in 1978. I've  got a scrap book from that season I put together.

Michael Andretti was the last American to compete in F1 - 1993.

Scott Speed, a Californian,  will drive a Red Bull team entry for the 2006 season.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hey, SHE called 'em boobs, not me.  She can call them anything she wants as long as they.............never mind.

hey, that's just how they roll in south florida.

great place to be if you're hunting for tail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey, that's just how they roll in south florida.

great place to be if you're hunting for tail.

I tell ya what, this weekend at Daytona there was more than you could shake a stick at.  Most, however, were with some rich guys.

Amanda was all on her own.  She is a personal fitness trainer.  I am going to be sending her pictures from the track this weekend.  We'll see what happens after that.  I told her I would take all the help I could get to get back in shape, including...........ahem, vigorous exercise.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Great Pics!!!!!

I will post more later in the week.  I got back last night (Sunday) at 1930 and really didn't have time to upload all of them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Here are some more.

This is BMW number 24 early in the race.  We, being just about every corner station, had been raising hell about the way this idiot was driving:

Well, the tower ignored it and this is the result:

If you were watching on TV, you saw him spin right in front of the 10 car who nailed him at just about full thottle.

Some shots of night racing.  These were during the race instead of night practice like the earlier ones:

2 DPs going inside a GT car at our turn Sunday morning:

Some shots from the Grand Am Cup race on Friday:

Notice that this last picture is of a car sponsored by Playboy.  They sponsored 4 cars in the Grand Am race and 2 cars in the Rolex24.  I was told that it was connected with them opening a Playboy Club in Vegas and that they were going to be opening new ones around the country.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
cool pics!  Thanks for sharing!

I think this is the third or fourht year in a row that ive had the pleasure of clicking on your Rolex thread  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
cool pics!  Thanks for sharing!

I think this is the third or fourht year in a row that ive had the pleasure of clicking on your Rolex thread  

I enjoy sharing the pics.  I will post some more later this week when I have time.

I will be doing the same in 2 months for Sebring.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#46]
tag for more pics.

I definetly need to get to some races this year.  I'm so glad the Indy cars come to Richmond now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top