Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 7:07:32 AM EDT
you can finally tell 5.11 to kiss your ass good-bye! woolrich is coming out with a line of it's own vests, clothing, and accessories. and, this is the most important thing, woolrich understands the world isn't made up of 5 foot midgets and they will be offering their vests and shirts in LONG sizes!!! in addition, (this was a big whine of mine with 5.11) woolrich's long gun mag pockets will be on BOTH sides not just on the correct left side. 5.11 has theirs on the right side and refused to even consider relocating the pocket. well, fuck them cuz not only is woolrich's stuff better designed, not only are they more reponsive to their customers, THEY COST LESS!!!

anyway, just wanted to pass that on...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
there is a tactical gawd!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I just want something other than khaki. I can find khaki cargo pants anywhere. I want other colors, damnit!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
No offense intended but "tactical" vests for casual wear are gay. I'm talking hot man on man action gay. I don't care who makes them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Know what I want? Something "tactical" to hold all my shit, without looking...well..."tactical". I'd like to see more emphasis on "discrete", because I am NOT walking around in public looking like a gun show commando.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No offense intended but "tactical" vests for casual wear are gay. I'm talking hot man on man action gay. I don't care who makes them.

I'm not a fan of the "shoot-me-first vests" either.

I do, on occasion, wear a Columbia vest insert from an upland hunting jacket I have.

It's looks Old Navy-ish, but conceals the gun nicely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They're not exactly "Liberace's velvet and rhinestone pajamas" gay but they're not for me either.

As for me, I like the cargo pants Levis has. I have several pairs, but will take a look at Woolrich's offerings when they come out with them.

Though the shirts - something I'm very interested in - look UBER "tactical" - Epaulets? Badge tunnel? That's not discreet!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm just fine with Tan BDU's.  I were them for business casual all the time, fr00t!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Liberace's velvet..  tunnel?

Oh snap!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I always love the "discreet" old guys in the mall with a khaki shooting vest, NRA cap, and woodland BDU pants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do, on occasion, wear a Columbia vest insert from an upland hunting jacket I have.

It's looks Old Navy-ish, but conceals the gun nicely.

Yeah. I'm just talking about the urban commando type vests. They scream gun toucher. Can't anyone make normal looking outerwear that can hide a handgun and other essentials? The market is there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, I love my 5.11 vest. But I used it for work as a catastrophe adjuster. All of the pockets were great to carry all of my crap (measuring tapes, laser measure, notepads, pens etc.) Yeah it may be the mall ninja identifier, but mine is damn useful. I will take a look at the Woolrich for their tall sizes, I had to get an XXL so it would hang below my belt line.

96Ag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah, I always love the "discreet" old guys in the mall with a khaki shooting vest, NRA cap, and woodland BDU pants.

True, but the only people who know that those guys in the photographer vests are concealing are other gun people who aren't likely to take advantage of that knowledge for criminal ends. Ask anyone else,and they'll just think it's an old guy with no fashion sense.
Excepting those who browse SWAT magazine routinely, to the average person 5.11's and other tactical pants just look like cargo pants. Nobody knows their significance except for enthusiasts of such gear.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but the only people who know that those guys in the photographer vests are concealing are other gun people who aren't likely to take advantage of that knowledge for criminal ends. Ask anyone else,and they'll just think it's an old guy with no fashion sense.
Excepting those who browse SWAT magazine routinely, to the average person 5.11's and other tactical pants just look like cargo pants. Nobody knows their significance except for enthusiasts of such gear.

I dunno man... You don't have to be an expert on body language when you see a guy dressed in boots, khaki cargo pants, knife clipped to his pocket, tan or OD green shirt and vest... It pretty much screams "gun dude"... Everybody knows the image of the "Great Hunter"!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

hahahahaha so many player haters!

my folks heard me talking about the 5.11 vests (they started selling them on base) and i was ragging on them, next thing i know, i get one for christmas... the 5.11's are nicely constructed but they're made for people <6' tall. the frigging thing barely covers my trou belt and it has a belt securing strap on the inside; if i used it i'd be walking around looking like quasimodo. and of course, the mag pouch is on the wrong side.

anyway, i'd only wear it  at the range for a class or rec fire. or deployed (like THAT'S ever gonna happen!). but i sure don't fault anyone else for wearing one. as was said above, all them damn pockets are nice to have! actually, if mine had fit, i'd worn it to disneyworld! so i guess they do have their place in civvie world...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you can finally tell 5.11 to kiss your ass good-bye! woolrich is coming out with a line of it's own vests, clothing, and accessories. and, this is the most important thing, woolrich understands the world isn't made up of 5 foot midgets and they will be offering their vests and shirts in LONG sizes!!! in addition, (this was a big whine of mine with 5.11) woolrich's long gun mag pockets will be on BOTH sides not just on the correct left side. 5.11 has theirs on the right side and refused to even consider relocating the pocket. well, fuck them cuz not only is woolrich's stuff better designed, not only are they more reponsive to their customers, THEY COST LESS!!!

anyway, just wanted to pass that on...

Woolrich looks like 'gun clothes', just like 5.11

The vast majority of the population has no idea, so it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Realistically, most people in CONUS aren't going to know what 'tactical' wear is, it's outside the country that it gets a little more problematic.  At least here most of the cogniscenti are on our side.

What makes those pants 'tactical' anyway... do they help my tactics somehow... please advise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
The pants are halfway discreet. There are enough cargo pants out there that no one really gives them a second look. The tactical vests are another matter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#19]
So, do you guys actually go out in public dressed in 5.11s, or are they just for wearing at home while eating MREs and dry-firing at the TV?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The pants are halfway discreet. There are enough cargo pants out there that no one really gives them a second look. The tactical vests are another matter.

I concur.  Plus the vests can be pretty warm for us desert dwellers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The pants are cool anywhere.  The shirts are cool if you are actually engaged in hunting, backpacking, contract security, etc.  The vests, on the other hand, are pretty gay unless your employer is the National Geographic  Society or you are a swashbuckling archeologist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I wear my 5.11 pants to work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So, do you guys actually go out in public dressed in 5.11s, or are they just for wearing at home while eating MREs and dry-firing at the TV?

images14.fotki.com/v244/photos/2/262472/2422852/devilsmiley059-vi.gif

I personally don't have any 5.11s but I do have several pairs of cargo pants, and several pairs of Woodland and OD BDUs. I'll wear the regular cargos around but I try to avoid looking too "tactical"/ put together.

It's like when you fly: Do some basic people watching and in about 30 seconds you can tell who the Air Marshal on your flight is. I just don't want to be tagged like that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#24]
The guy from Woolrich was plugging his stuff in this thread not long ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=426048
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's like when you fly: Do some basic people watching and in about 30 seconds you can tell who the Air Marshal on your flight is. I just don't want to be tagged like that.

Exactly. More important especially in a foreign airport. Be the grey man, not teh ghey, man.

Next time, just for fun, look around and see if you can see who's watching.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
What's funny is that everyone can spot the Air Marshal, only he is on 1% of flights, and generally not the domestic ones either.  I think you saw the AirSoft Marshall.  Was he kinda big?  Did he make a pass at the Stewardess?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 I think you saw the AirSoft Marshall.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's funny is that everyone can spot the Air Marshal, only he is on 1% of flights, and generally not the domestic ones either.  I think you saw the AirSoft Marshall.  Was he kinda big?  Did he make a pass at the Stewardess?

You may be right. He did have a baby goat under his arm as he got on the plane...  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#29]
So, which one is better? A Mall Ninja, or an Air5oft Marshall?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So, which one is better? A Mall Ninja, or an Air5oft Marshall?

They're each so specialized to their areas...the only place they would really be evenly matched or on equal footing would be in the concourse area of an airport with all the stores and restaurants and stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The guy from Woolrich was plugging his stuff in this thread not long ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=426048

holy shit, i completely missed that thread! i saw their ad in this months "american rifleman" (feb 06)...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh shit!  I killed another thread.  Everyone get back on topic.

I will probably get a pair of the pants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images14.fotki.com/v244/photos/2/262472/2422852/devilsmiley059-vi.gif

I personally don't have any 5.11s but I do have several pairs of cargo pants, and several pairs of Woodland and OD BDUs. I'll wear the regular cargos around but I try to avoid looking too "tactical"/ put together.

I never tried the ACUs but I found the 5.11 pants to be much more tactical and useful than the issued BDUs. The 5.11 pants are also a world of a difference from cargo pants/dockers taht you buy at a local department store namely in build quality and pant/pocket design.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#34]
wasn't the company rep just posting this a week ago or so?

ETA: Oops, fireguy beat me to it. that'll teach me to post before reading the whole page..

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Have you gone shopping for kids and teens clothes lately?  It all camo with pockets everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Have you gone shopping for kids and teens clothes lately?  It all camo with pockets everywhere.

Uhhh, us 34 year olds with no kids may not be able to pull it off. Not without someone starting an Arfcom poseur thread about me anyway.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm also not a fan of the shoot-me-first vests but 5.11 does have a few discreet products that are very nice.  Namely the Monterey Jacket & Trenchcoat, Blazer and Denim Jacket they carry.  Each has pockets for their 'backup belt' system.  I'd kindof like to get the denim jacket for carrying a Kahr in our mild SoCal winters.

If Woolrich puts out some products that are truly discreet like those above I'd be tempted to go with them instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top