Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:46:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup,  .mil should take note.  Need to improve moral?  "Be happy or we'll shoot your ass!!!", is all that's needed.  After that you don't hear many complaints so they must be happy.  

Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]

"moaning and whinging at Nutzwerk is forbidden... except when accompanied with a constructive suggestion as to how to improve the situation".

Damn fine idea right there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
He said "Nutzwerk"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Being that this is America, the goddammed BIRTHPLACE of bitching about everything under the sun, I'd like to register a complaint:

What the f*ck is a "whinger"?  Doesn't anybody even know how to piss & moan right anymore!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Being that this is America, the goddammed BIRTHPLACE of bitching about everything under the sun, I'd like to register a complaint:

What the f*ck is a "whinger"?  Doesn't anybody even know how to piss & moan right anymore!

whinge = whine, complain, kvetch, bitch.

See? Ya learn sumpin' here at ARFKOM.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Works for me...bitching and moning is a cancer in the work place. I just gave one of my employees
his last warning. He said he's honestly not aware that he's been a chronic complainer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What the f*ck is a "whinger"?  

It's a British term, as in "Stop your whinging." (Whinge rhymes with 'binge' or 'hinge') It means whining or constantly complaining.

My wife is British, and I've had to learn a whole new language.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He said "Nutzwerk"

It's a play on words. Netzwerk* = here, means "network" as in a "network of cables". "Nutz-" = here, "useful, worthwhile". Nutzwerk = "useful network".

*pronounced "Noots'-vairk"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He said "Nutzwerk"

It's a play on words. Netzwerk* = here, means "network" as in a "network of cables". "Nutz-" = here, "useful, worthwhile". Nutzwerk = "useful network".

*pronounced "Noots'-vairk"

Oh yeah? Well my noots verk just vine, thank you, and you can keep your commie language!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]

According to Mrs Wonneberger, the company's turnover has doubled since the anti-whingeing policy was introduced.

If no whinging is supposed to make for a better workplace then why are more people leaving?

Doubled turnover means that twice as many people are LEAVING this oh-so-happy company.  Or is this something that got lost in translation?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the f*ck is a "whinger"?  

It's a British term, as in "Stop your whinging." (Whinge rhymes with 'binge' or 'hinge') It means whining or constantly complaining.

My wife is British, and I've had to learn a whole new language.

Huh- try being married to a Scotswoman- not only a wholly new "language" but a dialect of it, to boot! Och, wee Jemmy, where are ye aboot? Whit ye doon? Yer haverin', ya daft gowk! Gauny geez oss 10p, then, luv? Ach, sod off, ya grotty tosspot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ve vil haff no Komplainink in ze Kompani! Alles Klar?

...thought control... it's the 'German way'...

The 'german way'? Puh-leeze give me a break. This is a private business trying some (new?) policy. How's this any different from the guy who threatened termination if his employees wouldn't stop smoking, remember that? There was a 10-page thread here about it.

Or have you heard the story about that British lady who got contacted by police for 'counseling' after she said that homosexuality is unnatural in a radio interview? Try that for thought control, it's the British way.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

According to Mrs Wonneberger, the company's turnover has doubled since the anti-whingeing policy was introduced.

If no whinging is supposed to make for a better workplace then why are more people leaving?

Doubled turnover means that twice as many people are LEAVING this oh-so-happy company.  Or is this something that got lost in translation?

I've lived, studied and worked full-time in Germany. It's VERY difficult to fire whiny, unproductive lazyass slackers, even at the white collar level. (You can forget about firing anybody in a union) In comparison to Americans, Germans can be an overly serious people in general, and the workplace reflects it.

If Frau Wonneberger wants to make her place more pleasant, and thereby more productive, she's probably doing her company a favor by getting rid of the whinging deadwood. Not all Germans are "nattering nabobs of negativity" (thank you, Spiro Agnew). Maybe she's trying to attract positive people who just want to get on with it, do their jobs and not wreck everyone's day by being Badluck Shleprocks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Works for me...bitching and moning is a cancer in the work place. I just gave one of my employees
his last warning. He said he's honestly not aware that he's been a chronic complainer.

But I'm  Union ... bitching is part of my contract!

ETA: "whinging" is now listed as part of the new benefits package we are bringing to the table at the next contract negotiations.  We recognize that American workers *must* be competetive in this global economy, and want to do our part.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ve vil haff no Komplainink in ze Kompani! Alles Klar?

...thought control... it's the 'German way'...

The 'german way'? Puh-leeze give me a break. This is a private business trying some (new?) policy. How's this any different from the guy who threatened termination if his employees wouldn't stop smoking, remember that? There was a 10-page thread here about it.

Or have you heard the story about that British lady who got contacted by police for 'counseling' after she said that homosexuality is unnatural in a radio interview? Try that for thought control, it's the British way.

And how about US employers who forbid employees from having guns in their cars in the parking lot? Or forbid talking about certain subjects at work, like guns?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

....and now he's about to sue you for making a hostile work environment for him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: "whinging" is now listed as part of the new benefits package we are bringing to the table at the next contract negotiations.  We recognize that American workers *must* be competetive in this global economy, and want to do our part.  Thanks!

Illegals come here to do the bitching on the job that Americans won't do.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are working on "NAFTWAH" right now to address this very problem.  It's the new "North American Freedom to Whinge and Holler" agreement.  Should be done in time for the next Whingers to Obfuscate (WTO) meeting.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are working on "NAFTWAH" right now to address this very problem.  It's the new "North American Freedom to Whinge and Holler" agreement.  Should be done in time for the next Whingers to Obfuscate (WTO) meeting.

Guarded by non-English speaking illegals who work for  FATASS (Federal Aviation and Transport Agency for Security and Safety).....

-bet that'll look good in white letters on their black BDUs and windbreakers....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Damnit you beat me to it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

3 sacked, 2 warned and because they had the 'wrong thoughts'..... at least when I'm in a pissed off mood I can tell the other staff  i'm pissed off and to bugger off!

Nutzwerk sounds like something out of the 'Stepford Wives'..

i1.tinypic.com/mhf05z.jpg

ANdy

Make no mistake, I too think this policy is stupid. It's just not like a business tradition or something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#25]

"moaning and whinging at Nutzwerk is forbidden... except when accompanied with a constructive suggestion as to how to improve the situation".

In the 80's several companies put that type of policy in place.  As an example of how mind-numbingly stupid this type of policy is, an employee of Milliken (large textile company in SC) was fired because he ran into a VP's office to tell the VP that a faucet had broken, but he didn't have a suggestion on how to fix it.  Different people have different jobs.  They know how to do different things.  Just because you recognize a problem and know it needs to be fixed doesn't mean that you're the right person to make the recommendation on how it can be fixed.  They had hired the guy to do corporate finance (IIRC).  They didn't hire him to be a plumber, but in the end he was fired because he didn't know enough about plumbing to have been allowed to complain about the faucet leaking.  According to this stupid type of policy, he should have just left the water leaking from the faucet until someone that knew enough about plumbing saw it so that they could then talk to management about getting it fixed.z
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 sacked, 2 warned and because they had the 'wrong thoughts'..... at least when I'm in a pissed off mood I can tell the other staff  i'm pissed off and to bugger off!

Nutzwerk sounds like something out of the 'Stepford Wives'..

i1.tinypic.com/mhf05z.jpg

ANdy

Make no mistake, I too think this policy is stupid. It's just not like a business tradition or something.

I know it's not a business tradition, yet! But the way it was evangelised by the manager is worrying. German industry, and the German people, does have a habit of taking a good 'idea' that works and making it almost a religion.... Example; Recycling! it's taken sooo seriously!

ANdy

"Braunglas"; "Gruenglas"; "Altpapier"; "Karton"...I can still remember those signs, and having to sort everything in our trash for the recycling. Severe penalties would result, if not done right!

Funny thing is, NOW we do the same in suburban Massachusetts. We even have to pay a buck per marked town trash bag. Of course, the hypocrite enviro-liberals down the street just bag up all the recyclables, and dump them in with the trash, too. They don't have the time or inclination to sort it all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Next thing you know, it'll be gossip.

And that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure I could come up with some "solutions" to my complaints.

Complaint: "The boss is an @ss".
Solution: "He should go ...."
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]
If a complaining employee is hindering productivity, they should get the ax.  It is the responsibility of a company to make money.  Firing chronic malcontents is often the only way to help those people stop the destructive habit of complaining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top