Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 11:57:44 PM EDT
Who would be willing to pay an extra $.75 to $2 for gas if we could get it all from Canada and tell OPEC to kiss our A$$es?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be a pointless gesture, so no.

Oil is a fungible commodity; There is only X amount of it on the market, and if America were to stop buying Dirkastani oil, and switched entirely to Canadian oil, then someone else would be buying Dirkastani oil. It's all gonna get sold anyways, so let the market do its thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
heck i don't know anything about the market for oil, but there is two points to my question 1. they said there is more oil there than in saudi arabia (though it is harder get from the form it is in ,black sand) 2. i think it would be nice to buy oil from somebody who doesn't hate me, my country, and considers my country as the great satan. not to mention the giant shit storm they caused in the 70'S with the embargo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
So, pay a total of 3 to 5 bucks a gallon for Canadian gas?

Hell no.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
2. i think it would be nice to buy oil from somebody who doesn't hate me, my country, and considers my country as the great satan...

Haven't talked to many Canadians, have you?

I understand and agree with your sentiment, but it really wouldn't matter. If you really wanted to screw the oil producers, the trick would be to stop using oil all together, but that isn't going to happen for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree  hinking

I just wish there was some alterative to mid east oil.  it would be nice if we could keep our money here on this continent.

as far as the canadian's, there are some french speaking ones. might have to rethink plan.

http://invadecanada.us/

INVADE AND TAKE OIL!!!!!!!! LOL

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi all,
I'm a Canadian and my father has worked for Exxon Mobil in the Alberta Tar sands for 20 years.  The tar sands is an impressive site, but it not like you just stick a pipe in the ground and suck it out like in the sandbox.

Take a 5 gallon pail of sand, add 1 - 2 quarts of oil/bitumen, stir well.  Now freeze it to -40c for a week or so, and use a shovel to get it out.  Not much fun.  Most of the oil sand is covered in 20-30m of overburden that has to be removed first.  At the refineries around Fort MacMurray they separate the sand and impurities from the oil.  It takes a lot of energy to separate the oil as it has to be heated for maximum yield.  

Its very hard to work with in the winter when its cold, and in the summer when its warm, its like walking on marshmallows.

A bit futher south near Cold Lake Alberta they pump steam under presssure underground and extract oil that way.  

Yes, there is more oil in Nothern Alberta than in the middle east, its just damn hard to get too.  You might want to pay attention to the election in Canada today, our Liberal PM has said that he would like to do more energy trade with China, I think the bastard has a hate on for the USA.  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Dont worry about the French Canadians, they are a couple thousand miles from the Alberta Oil.

Dez
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dont worry about the French Canadians, they are a couple thousand miles from the Alberta Oil.

Dez

You should have let France's westernmost province secede.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]

howzabout we come up with alternatives to oil and in the meantime use our own oil. I'm sick of us having to rely on everyone else and sending money out of the country to everyone who hates us and making them rich. (Canada included) We need to build more nuclear plants too. Screw the environmentalists. Steam roll them and do it anyway. It's time to stop shooting ourselves in the foot over political correctness.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi all,
I'm not sure when/if we will abandon Canada, if the Liberals win the election they have promised to ban all (legally owned) handguns.  The Prime Minister, who seems to have a hate on for the USA, is saying that ther is no reason for any Canadian to own a handgun.  They already have a plan in the works to get rid of restricted firearms like the AR-15 if re-elected.

You might see a flood of Canadian gun owners moving south if the election goes the wrong way.

Dez
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
howzabout we come up with alternatives to oil and in the meantime use our own oil. I'm sick of us having to rely on everyone else and sending money out of the country to everyone who hates us and making them rich. (Canada included) We need to build more nuclear plants too. Screw the environmentalists. Steam roll them and do it anyway. It's time to stop shooting ourselves in the foot over political correctness.

+1!!!

can someone pleez exlain to me just wtf greens want??? oil is yucky, coal is stinky, and nuclear power is untinkable. just what plan do they propose to supply america with go juice???
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
its in the strategic and economic (long term, short term it would hurt the economy) interest of the US to become energy self sufficient. of all the things that bush could do in office, this one thing would be his greatest legacy (lots of chance of this though). moving to ethanol, 85/15 ethanol/gas blend, more nuclear plants, technology to convert oil shale and coal would go a long way to doing this. hybrids, smaller or lighter cars too. btw ethanol makes a GREAT hotrod fuel with an octane rating over 100...

its a real shame that this hasn't been done. gas is going up again. dam iranians are gonna use it to try and make us look like monkeys.

like i said.. a real shame a our pres doesn't make this a 'man-on-the-moon-in-10-years' or manhattan like project...

tell the middle-beast buttwhipes to take their oil and use it go grease their camel butts...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#13]
The canucks have no love for us and are trying to sell their sand oil to the chinese.  We should buy whatever is the cheapest out there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope the domestic oil folks get their heads out of their butts and start working on the massive oil shale deposit in the Western US. With the new technology I've read about (oversimplified: drilling holes/sinking heaters into the ground/oil bubbles up) we shouldn't have any problems for a long time.

Personally I think (hope) that we will depend on foreign oil until it hits $XXX/barrel. Then we switch to these massive shale deposits we have, and sell the oil to other nations and $$$PROFIT$$$.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!!!

can someone pleez exlain to me just wtf greens want??? oil is yucky, coal is stinky, and nuclear power is untinkable. just what plan do they propose to supply america with go juice???

No, you put on a robe and some beads, sit around and sing Kumbayah.   No Green is a productive person: production requires energy and effort.  Many of us are greens (lower case) and avoid waste and try to be as clean as possible, yet I would be very much in favor of nuclear power.  But, not helter skelter.  Come up with, say, 3 designs or, if variables of terrain and load warrant, make it 6 or 10.   Have them reviewed by all agencies and, yes, academics who teach engineering.  Come up with some safe, standard designs.  Cut through the stupid bueaucracy who has to go over every screw 50 times.  To be fair, they often have to do this because of varying designs: standardized design negates this.  Strict control over quality of materials and construction.  Should be able to put one up in 5 years instead of 20.  Some will aregue this limits design freedom.  Yes, but this stuff is dangerous: do you want to play for years with nit-picking or get something going?

Oil has to be used for portable uses, that is, transportation, since nothing else is out there for the time being. Can't be helped.  Until storage (batteries) improve, electric cars are just a novelty, though I agree with all the experimenting.  

But, we have to get up on our hind legs and kick back the Greens who are just obstructionist, preventing anything from getting done.  Heck, I'd hire some to stop a new oil facility if I were  a Commodity trader and was long on oil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually the greenies have a point about sand oil. Its increases greenhouse gases tremendously.  Several times more then regular oil production.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's trade California for Alberta.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
How about we invade Canada, and take the oil. We can enslave the population and force them to drill for oil, brew beer and force them to act in our TV shows!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!!!

No, you put on a robe and some beads, sit around and sing Kumbayah.   No Green is a productive person: production requires energy and effort.  Many of us are greens (lower case) and avoid waste and try to be as clean as possible, yet I would be very much in favor of nuclear power.  But, not helter skelter.  Come up with, say, 3 designs or, if variables of terrain and load warrant, make it 6 or 10.   Have them reviewed by all agencies and, yes, academics who teach engineering.  Come up with some safe, standard designs.  Cut through the stupid bueaucracy who has to go over every screw 50 times.  To be fair, they often have to do this because of varying designs: standardized design negates this.  Strict control over quality of materials and construction.  Should be able to put one up in 5 years instead of 20.  Some will aregue this limits design freedom.  Yes, but this stuff is dangerous: do you want to play for years with nit-picking or get something going?

Oil has to be used for portable uses, that is, transportation, since nothing else is out there for the time being. Can't be helped.  Until storage (batteries) improve, electric cars are just a novelty, though I agree with all the experimenting.  

But, we have to get up on our hind legs and kick back the Greens who are just obstructionist, preventing anything from getting done.  Heck, I'd hire some to stop a new oil facility if I were  a Commodity trader and was long on oil.

The moment that oil/power/electricity etc...becomes more expensive than weed, the hippies and greenies will be begging for new nuke plants, refineries and coal fuels.  It won't be too long now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Who would be willing to pay an extra $.75 to $2 for gas if we could get it all from Canada and tell OPEC to kiss our A$$es?

You must have missed the day in economics class when they covered supply and demand.

It doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#21]
No
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The government of Canada is less friendly to the US than several of the OPEC member countries are.  

There is a lot of truth there.

You should see the ads on Canadian TV. They make it seem like if the Conservative party takes over, that they'll be more like us. Like that's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like the liberal asstards have royally fucked themselves in Canada...

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060123/ts_nm/politics_dc;_ylt=AgvUfWN.59jJdVBjNLqUYlZg.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4b3FrcXQ0BHNlYwMxNjkz

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A Canadian electorate that appears to have tired of more than a decade of Liberal rule was heading to the polls on Monday, seemingly ready to hand a limited mandate to the Conservatives.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was a rematch of the 2004 election, a neck-and-neck race that ended up giving Liberal     Prime Minister Paul Martin a minority government, but this time Conservative leader Stephen Harper has built a much more substantial lead of six to 12 percentage points.

Martin's government was toppled in November over kickbacks from government contracts but rather than spending most of his time on that issue, Harper methodically laid out a policy a day during a campaign that ended up dispelling some of the doubts voters had about him in 2004.

"I felt almost from Day One that we were doing what we wanted to do, getting our message out, and the surprise for me from early on was that the Liberals didn't seem to be doing that," Harper told reporters on his plane on Sunday, the final day of the campaign, as he flew to British Columbia.

To the very end, Martin insisted he was competitive, bearing in mind he recovered in 2004 to win a minority mandate -- though from a smaller deficit in the polls than he has now.

"The result of the election has not yet been decided," Martin told reporters in Vancouver on Sunday. "There are still plenty of undecided voters ... we're going to win this election."

Two other parties, the separatist Bloc Quebecois and the leftist New Democratic Party, also were expected to win substantial numbers of seats, making it unlikely that either the Conservatives or the Liberals would win a majority government in this election.

Harper built his campaign on appealing to regular Canadians on the need to clean up government, cut the national sales tax, crack down on crime and cut waiting times for the publicly funded health system.

Martin fought mainly on his record, particularly an economy running healthy budget and trade surpluses, and said at one point he thought the status quo was pretty good.

As he began slipping behind halfway through the eight-week campaign he spent an increasing amount of time attacking Harper as one who would leave the weak behind, let Washington determine Canadian foreign policy and curb abortion.

"I want to use my mandate as prime minister to accomplish plenty of things. Mr. Harper wants a mandate to undo certain things," Martin said.

But Harper said Martin had not advanced a compelling reason for voters to give the Liberals, who replaced the Conservatives in late 1993, a fifth successive mandate.

Polling stations were opening in Newfoundland at 7 a.m. EST (1200 GMT). The last stations were closing in British Columbia at 10 p.m. EST (0300 GMT Tuesday). Canadian law bars the posting of news to the Internet until after the last polls are closed so as to keep voters from being influenced.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Diebold is now rigging elections in Canada I see.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
heck i don't know anything about the market for oil, but there is two points to my question 1. they said there is more oil there than in saudi arabia (though it is harder get from the form it is in ,black sand) 2. i think it would be nice to buy oil from somebody who doesn't hate me, my country, and considers my country as the great satan. not to mention the giant shit storm they caused in the 70'S with the embargo.

What makes you think Canadians don't hate you?

We have huge oil reserves in this country too. But in the US it is tied up in oil shale, not oil sand like in CA. I'm sure they will figure out the technology to tap into our oil reserves trapped in the shale and then we won't have to buy from anyone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#28]
THey already have shale warming technology that will extract the oil.

I saw this last night and was floored at the estimates of over 1 trillion barrels of oil in Alberta, and that there's going to be $100 Billion invested in the region in the next 10 years.

I want hedge funds that are investing in CA sand oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top