Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:06:34 PM EDT
In trying to get some equipment together, I perused ebay to check out the packs. There are a ton of new, inexpensive 5000-6500cu in. packs available w/ just a few top-of-the-line, name brand expensive stuff there.

So, I gotta ask, "Has anyone actually bought and tried out one of these packs--are they good enough for the occasional backpacking enthusiast?
Ex:
5500cu in. buy it now= $45.95

6400cu in buy it now= $49.95

PLEASE DON'T BASH THIS QUESTION JUST BECAUSE OF THE PRICE...

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You will likely get what you pay for...

But hey, try one out, and give us a (Mtn.) Range Report!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a crap shoot.  Last year in Crete, one of our guys bought a backpack for about 30 US dollars that was awesome.  It was smaller but very similar to what you have pictured.  If I didn't already have a couple, I'd have bought one myself.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They look okay.  I was going to buy a pack off of ebay but I decided to just to go all out and orderd a Kifaru EMR.  I didn't want to pay a lot, but I wanted to know that I got something decent as well.  Plus, the EMR has molle gear attachments.

It could be hit or miss, I've read of people buying fake North Face stuff off ebay.   I'd hate to be halfway up a mountain or miles from your vehicle only to have a pack fail.  Something to think about.

*edited to add; all Kifaru gear is made in the USA.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I totally understand saving to get *known and well-used quality* gear.  But, there is a huge difference between $46 and $300.

I am interested to see if anyone has used or knows someone who has used these type of packs.
OR
Does anyone know of a good hiking/camping board to search for reviews?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What sucks is when you are (out there) and the pos breaks on you. I just relearned this lesson while traveling overseas with a substandard bag. I know better, and the refresher course I just had sucked, trying to carry all my stuff (and get it home) in a busted bag.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I totally understand saving to get *known and well-used quality* gear.  But, there is a huge difference between $46 and $300.

Sometimes the easy route isn't the best one.

Check here if you're actually serious about being a guinea pig, maybe someone can help you out;
forums.backpacker.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top