Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:22:47 PM EDT
For some reason my 48x12x48x CD-RW drive has begun to mistake blank CD-R discs for CD-RW discs. I noticed this because it will only burn at 12x- the maximum speed of a CD-RW burn session. Needless to say, this is highly annoying. It happens in Windows XP and in linux.

What the heck is causing this? I haven't made any BIOS or software changes. It just started happening tonight.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you just change brands ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happened to me, or I thought so.
It turned out that I had bought CD-RWs which were packaged in CD-R wrappings.

Maybe the same happened to you
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Same thing happened to me, or I thought so.
It turned out that I had bought CD-RWs which were packaged in CD-R wrappings.

Maybe the same happened to you

I didn't change brands, but I did buy a new spindle of Verbatim CD-R discs. They are labeled as CD-R discs on the spindle container and on the top of the discs. How am I to avoid mislabled discs? I bought these a long time ago, so taking them back is out of the question. This sucks.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Update: I emailed Verbatim about the defective discs. They told me I had to send in the defective media to their testing lab in Charlotte, NC. I assume this means I won't have to send in the whole spindle. Doing so would probably cost almost as much as I paid for them.

What a pile of BS. One would think they know they have a massive load of defective CD-R discs floating around.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like if you wanted to see if they were actually RW you could try erasing and re-writing one and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seems like if you wanted to see if they were actually RW you could try erasing and re-writing one and see what happens.

True. I overlooked that. I'll try it ASAP. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Update: I emailed Verbatim about the defective discs. They told me I had to send in the defective media to their testing lab in Charlotte, NC. I assume this means I won't have to send in the whole spindle. Doing so would probably cost almost as much as I paid for them.

What a pile of BS. One would think they know they have a massive load of defective CD-R discs floating around.

Galland

It's obvious the company is not looking forward to having replace a bunch of CDs, and are replacing them only when people complain.  They probably know that they mis-packaged/labeled a quantity of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top