Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
Supposedly, a cop was working two full time jobs (at the same time) with two jurisdictions. When a fellow officer tried to complain, no one would take the complaint. When she went to the state, she was suspended. Hmmmm...

www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060121/NEWS17/601210404/-1/NEWS

WHISTLE-BLOWER COMPLAINT
Suspended officer sues South Rockwood

By GEORGE J. TANBER
BLADE STAFF WRITER

MONROE - Utilizing state legislation that offers protection to whistle-blowers, a South Rockwood police officer has filed a civil complaint against the Village of South Rockwood, claiming she was suspended from her job because she tried to report a fellow officer for wrongdoing.

Officer Linda Morgan filed her suit Tuesday in Monroe County Circuit Court.

Officer Morgan, a part-time employee, was suspended without pay in early December by Chief Charles Churchill after the chief said Officer Morgan did not follow the proper chain of command in reporting alleged double-dipping by Sgt. James Miller.

While working as a full-time officer for South Rockwood, then-Officer Miller also worked as a full-time officer for the Luna Pier Police Department. Both departments knew of the arrangement.

But in her complaint, Officer Morgan alleges that, beginning last June, she saw then-Officer Miller's South Rockwood work log corresponding with hours he was working in Luna Pier.

She said she watched that go on for five months before telling Chief Churchill, asking him to investigate. Officer Morgan said he declined to do so.

She then told other village officials, including the clerk, treasurer, and a village council member, but no action was taken, the complaint said.

In October, then-Officer Miller was promoted to sergeant and became responsible for all employee time sheets, Officer Morgan said in the complaint.

On Nov. 28, Officer Morgan called Michigan State Police, who began an investigation.

Officer Morgan was suspended Dec. 7.

Chief Churchill could not be reached for comment, nor could Sgt. Dave Meyer of the Monroe State Police post, who is handling the investigation.

Luna Pier police Chief Jerald Winkelman said then-Officer Miller worked part-time in Luna Pier until June, when he became a full-time officer. Between the two jobs, Chief Winkelman said the South Rockwood sergeant is working about 80 hours a week.

"Police officers work a seven-day week, so it's not like a regular job," Chief Winkelman said.

He said Sergeant Miller was offered a full-time position because he's a federal and state-licensed semi-tractor officer, which the department needs but for which it can't afford the required schooling.

Additionally, Sergeant Miller serves as the department's blight officer, dealing with junk cars and other matters other officers don't care to handle.

Chief Winkelman said Sergeant Miller makes more money in Luna Pier, adding that he has told Sergeant Miller his Luna Pier duties take precedence over his duties in South Rockwood.

"He has done a good job for me. There's hasn't been a problem," Chief Winkelman said.

Nevertheless, the Luna Pier chief said he didn't believe Sergeant Miller could carry on full time in both jobs.

"He has to make a decision," he said.

Sergeant Miller could not be reached for comment.

In her complaint, Ms. Morgan also alleges separate discrimination and infliction of emotional and mental distress charges. She is asking for more than $25,000 in damages for each of the three allegations.

The case has been assigned to Judge Michael LaBeau.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Contact George Tanber at:
[email protected]
or 734-241-3610.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll reserve judgement for a full report after the investigation is completed.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't pay these guys alot of money most have to have a second job, but both jobs not in police field, you can't double your benifits
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Of course you would...sorry I don't have any pics, but that wouldn't change anything for some anyways...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They don't pay these guys alot of money most have to have a second job, but both jobs not in police field, you can't double your benifits

Especially screwing the taxpayers. If he wants a second job, that is fine. Especially if he works 16 hour days, not just on paper...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Oh please! Cops make damn good money, especially for someone without college education. Most of them make about the same as nurses and other 4 year degreed professionals.

Plus they can usually work overtime and special assignments (security, parking, etc) that push their wages into 6-figures.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please! Cops make damn good money, especially for someone without college education. Most of them make about the same as nurses and other 4 year degreed professionals.

Plus they can usually work overtime and special assignments (security, parking, etc) that push their wages into 6-figures.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think police make too little for their level of education?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do in Los Angeles
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most cop jobs in my area start out in the low 20's to almost 30g's a year. Even those with a 4 year degree only make about 35 to 40.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which agency is paying like that? I want to sign up now.  Nurses make close to double most police officers over here.  As for overtime, thats a hit and miss.  Lots of agencies frown on overtime unless it's absolutely needed.  At one point, I was working 4 jobs, 80+ hours/week, and didn't even hit the $50,000 mark before taxes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most cop jobs in my area start out in the low 20's to almost 30g's a year. Even those with a 4 year degree only make about 35 to 40.

Yea with your crappy liberal arts 4 year degree.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea with your crappy liberal arts 4 year degree.

That's with a Criminal Science Bachelors degree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, we know this guy in the article was making at least 50-60k a year "working" his two jobs then...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that include overtime earned sitting in court? MY best friend's little brother got a job with a local suburban Detroit department 2 years ago after graduating academy. He's clearing 65,000 right now. Not that it's a lot of money for what police are expected to do, but a good living is there to be made if you don't mind moving away from the comforts of the countryside.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that include overtime earned sitting in court? MY best friend's little brother got a job with a local suburban Detroit department 2 years ago after graduating academy. He's clearing 65,000 right now. Not that it's a lot of money for what police are expected to do, but a good living is there to be made if you don't mind moving away from the comforts of the countryside.

Dave

Pay depends on where you live and the cost of living.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which agency is paying like that? I want to sign up now.  Nurses make close to double most police officers over here.  As for overtime, thats a hit and miss.  Lots of agencies frown on overtime unless it's absolutely needed.  At one point, I was working 4 jobs, 80+ hours/week, and didn't even hit the $50,000 mark before taxes.

Nurses require a 4 year degree...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]
From: http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_016222440.html

"PLANO Starting pay for a Plano police officer is $50,000, the highest in North Texas. But there's a catch... all new officers must have a 4-year college degree."

Add some off duty security at the local movie theater with some overtime, and it's pretty easy to push that up to close to 6 figures.  I'm not saying cops are overpaid, but the pay cops get depends heavily on the local, and there are places where a fairly average cop can make 6 figures.  Probably not most places though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alabama? That's probably pretty good money for a village job in that area. $28k isn't bad for a 21-24 year old who doesn't have a college education. Hell, that's more than most professions pay people out of college!
35 - 40 for a college grad? That's good money anywhere in the country except for the left and right coasts.  A single guy could afford a nice house on $40k without even working any overtime at all. You could raise a family in a house that $40k would buy.

I only made $28k when I bought my first house. I was RICH! (This was less than 10 years ago)

When my wife & I married, we bought a house together. We only claimed her salary on the loan app (~$30k). Now we have 3 kids in the place and room for at least one more. It's in a nice neighborhood and most of our neighbors are teachers, nurses, accountants and other professionals. And, yes, lot's of COPS too!

No, I don't feel sorry for any 20-something drawing a salary in the high $20s.

Damn, maybe I'M in the wrong business!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#19]
What does pay have to do with anything? Oh wait, it's a smoke screen for the excuse makers.

Old boy was billing two agencies for the same time one patrol. The officer responsible for the timesheets reports it and is suspended.

I don't know what's worse. The police officer ripping off the taxpayers or the head in the sand reaction of his fellow officers and the officers on this board.

The only correct response to this would have been, "if he's found to have double billed, he needs to be out of work at both departments and charged appropriately. Further the whistleblower, if this is true, should be commended for actually serving the public."

Any other response is just the blue wall taking care of their own. Police officers, above all others, should want corruption to be found and rooted out. The simple fact that some cry "troll" like the little boy who cried wolf is very telling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What does pay have to do with anything? Oh wait, it's a smoke screen for the excuse makers.

Old boy was billing two agencies for the same time one patrol. The officer responsible for the timesheets reports it and is suspended.

I don't know what's worse. The police officer ripping off the taxpayers or the head in the sand reaction of his fellow officers and the officers on this board.

The only correct response to this would have been, "if he's found to have double billed, he needs to be out of work at both departments and charged appropriately. Further the whistleblower, if this is true, should be commended for actually serving the public."

Any other response is just the blue wall taking care of their own. Police officers, above all others, should want corruption to be found and rooted out. The simple fact that some cry "troll" like the little boy who cried wolf is very telling.

+1...you got it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You'd think this was Mexico from some of the replies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I agree that if it is found out to be true the officer should be fired. But again I will wait on full investigation and report. Not some lawyers word who is representing the so called whistleblower.

and Squeezecocker is a .
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

and Squeezecocker is a .

Then go report to the mods about me or this thread, or stfu...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that if it is found out to be true the officer should be fired. But again I will wait on full investigation and report. Not some lawyers word who is representing the so called whistleblower.

and Squeezecocker is a .

I'll +1 that one. I'm still waiting for someone to show me where I'm going to make nearly 6 figures on patrol. I've got a resume handy. Beats the $31K I'm making now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
My only concern about LEOs moonlighting is how the fatigue affects their judgement. Additionally, their reflexes.

I know I'd rather not work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, getting possibly 5-6 hours sleep, and have to deal with potentially life ending decisions on a regular basis. The odds of fouling up would seem to increase relationally.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My only concern about LEOs moonlighting is how the fatigue affects their judgement. Additionally, their reflexes.

I know I'd rather not work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, getting possibly 5-6 hours sleep, and have to deal with potentially life ending decisions on a regular basis. The odds of fouling up would seem to increase relationally.

That is a good point. Certain jobs, like OTR driving, there have been stricter limitations on hours behind the wheel recently. And no guns are involved...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a good point. Certain jobs, like OTR driving, there have been stricter limitations on hours behind the wheel recently. And no guns are involved...

Sometimes, I get it right.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and Squeezecocker is a .

Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and Squeezecocker is a .

Whatever.

How is bringing up a news story trolling? If he was doing this in the cop forum, maybe, but this is a legitimate topic for discussion. He's no more a troll than BT97 brining up every negative article he can find about the USN.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This old boy, allegedly, found the way around this by billing two agencies for the same time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Recruits for Las Vegas Metro start at 42
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine was a K-9 Officer in NC where he pulled down a whopping $22,000 a year.
Now he's a K-9 Officer with Homeland Security
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Officers, with no rank, can easily make over 80 G in my agency.  Holidays are double time and a half.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Was an article on here a month or so ago that was discussing police officers making 150k+ as patrolmen due to overtime.  

Sounds like they make a good amount, mainly due to their union.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine was a K-9 Officer in NC where he pulled down a whopping $22,000 a year.

In many rural parts of NC 22K is good money for a job that you can apply for and get with no previous experience and be paid to train for.

That's way most agencies get 50-100 applications or more for every opening.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My Ex is friends with her or something. Workin on finding out what exactly the deal is. Could 've been worse, the officer could have been using a cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and Squeezecocker is a .

Whatever.

How is bringing up a news story trolling? If he was doing this in the cop forum, maybe, but this is a legitimate topic for discussion. He's no more a troll than BT97 brining up every negative article he can find about the USN.

It is a legitmate topic to discuss. He is a major cop basher and a troll. Really simple. I think this actually one of Cyanides old troll accounts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You are wrong on this part.  Nursing requires that you pass a licensing test, and doesn't require a 4 year degree.  

How to become an RN:

Diploma Programs generally run by hospital: no degree recieved. generally a 2 year program.

Associates Degree in Nursing: Generally community colleges, sometimes hospitals in association with a college.  Takes 2-3 years to complete.

Bachelors in Nursing: 4 year degree offered at many colleges.

Pay may be tied to education, but most places will help pay for furthering your education.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was an article on here a month or so ago that was discussing police officers making 150k+ as patrolmen due to overtime.  

Sounds like they make a good amount, mainly due to their union.

Cops making that kind of money is very, very, very, very rare.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll admit, I don't make good money, but NC is laughable. I really would like to move there, but I'd literally be broke within months.  Damn shame too. I saw agencies there requiring a four year degree to apply and still making ~$24K.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Salary has everything to do with supply and demand in the labor market and nothing to do with the actual article.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Whistleblowers are a pain in the ass.  Everybody should just shut the fuck up and mind their own business.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Salary has everything to do with supply and demand in the labor market and nothing to do with the actual article.

Until a union steps in and brings socialism into the market.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Ex is friends with her or something. Workin on finding out what exactly the deal is. Could 've been worse, the officer could have been using a cell phone.

Cool, I would love to hear what you find out, assuming it is for public consumption considering there is an active case and all...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and Squeezecocker is a .

Whatever.

It is a legitmate topic to discuss. He is a major cop basher and a troll. Really simple. I think this actually one of Cyanides old troll accounts.

If you have such concerns, like I said, take it a mod or stfu...

The point of this thread is about one good cop getting into trouble for trying to clean out a bad cop, not a thread about what cops make...

eta: how the fuck is it cop bashing when I bring up an article of a cop suspended because she broke the Code? She is trying to save the taxpayers money, supposedly, regardless of her motivation, she got suspended a week after she went above her department that didn't care what was going on. Funny how I'm told many times on here there is no Code, and that bad cops are weeded out, but her it seems to be the opposite. How many exceptions do there need to be before we rethink the rule?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Whistleblowers are a pain in the ass.  Everybody should just shut the fuck up and mind their own business.

If someone is stealing 30-40k a year from the taxpayers, you don't want to hear about it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't there police unions?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wrong on this part.  Nursing requires that you pass a licensing test, and doesn't require a 4 year degree.  

How to become an RN:

Diploma Programs generally run by hospital: no degree recieved. generally a 2 year program.

Associates Degree in Nursing: Generally community colleges, sometimes hospitals in association with a college.  Takes 2-3 years to complete.

Bachelors in Nursing: 4 year degree offered at many colleges.

Pay may be tied to education, but most places will help pay for furthering your education.

Thank you for that correction. I did not know that...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't there police unions?

The two towns in question here are pretty small, so I'm not sure about this case. But I do believe big cities all have police unions...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Police appeared to get paid very well.  Slightly less then nurses and more then teachers.  Add into it overtime, differential pay, Hazard pay, etc and they make out very well.

www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

Wages according to the US Dept. of Labor:

Registered Nurses (professional occupation): Median annual earnings of registered nurses were $52,330 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $43,370 and $63,360. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $37,300, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $74,760. Median annual earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of registered nurses in May 2004 were as follows:

Employment services $63,170
General medical and surgical hospitals 53,450
Home health care services 48,990
Offices of physicians 48,250
Nursing care facilities 48,220

Teachers (professional occupation):  Median annual earnings of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $41,400 to $45,920 in May 2004; the lowest 10 percent earned $26,730 to $31,180; the top 10 percent earned $66,240 to $71,370. Median earnings for preschool teachers were $20,980.

According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor’s degree earned an average of $31,704 in the 2003–04 school year. The estimated average salary of all public elementary and secondary school teachers in the 2003–04 school year was $46,597. Private school teachers generally earn less than public school teachers, but may be given other benefits, such as free or subsidized housing.

Police and detectives (Service occupation):Police and sheriff’s patrol officers had median annual earnings of $45,210 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $34,410 and $56,360. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,910, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $68,880. Median annual earnings were $44,750 in Federal Government, $48,980 in State government, and $45,010 in local government.

In May 2004, median annual earnings of police and detective supervisors were $64,430. The middle 50 percent earned between $49,370 and $80,510. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $36,690, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $96,950. Median annual earnings were $86,030 in Federal Government, $62,300 in State government, and $63,590 in local government.

In May 2004, median annual earnings of detectives and criminal investigators were $53,990. The middle 50 percent earned between $40,690 and $72,280. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,180, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $86,010. Median annual earnings were $75,700 in Federal Government, $46,670 in State government, and $49,650 in local government.

Minimum annual base salary Maximum annual base salary

Police chief $72,924 $92,983
Deputy chief 61,110 76,994
Police captain 60,908 75,497
Police lieutenant 56,115 67,580
Police sergeant 49,895 59,454
Police corporal 41,793 51,661
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top