Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:54:07 AM EDT
So, since I graduate HS in June, and start college in August, I wanted to spend a portion of the interim period in a tropical paradise. Probably two weeks.

I want to be on the beach, an area with that crystal blue Caribbean water, shining sun, and lots of hot women in bikinis. Also, a pretty nice hotel would be good. And I expect to have gear and diving certification by then, so good diving is a definite plus.

As to languages, I speak enough Spanish to get by in Puerto Rico, Cuba, D. R., or similar places. English, of course, I am fluent in, so that's no worry. But Dutch I don't know at all.

I'll be financing this, so the less spent, the better, but I don't want to end up in some roach-infested shithole.

Here are my thoughts:

Kingston, Jamaica: Nice water, nice beaches, nice reggae, nice pot.
Nassau, Bahamas: Is there anything else that needs explaining?
Waikiki Beach, HI: Pros: Beaches. Palm trees. Cons: Crotch-eating centipedes. Ginormous spiders.
Virgin Islands: I don't know much about these at all.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
bikini atoll?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Belize.

G
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Let global warming do it's thing and then you can take your tropical vacation in Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
all of the places you listed flat-out suck
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
bikini atoll?

Quoted:
Let global warming do it's thing and then you can take your tropical vacation in Alaska.

Quoted:
all of the places you listed flat-out suck

Okay, there's the smartass answers, so how about some real ones?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Joisey?
Then spend your savings on ammo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#7]
St. Thomas
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Carribean Beach Resort at Walt Disney World.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Dry Tortugas National Park.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Joisey?
Then spend your savings the rest of mommy and daddy's money on ammo.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Joisey?

You're right!
Yeah I wanted to do all that after highschool too.
But you know what I did? Got drunker than shit for a couple days,then went to work.
Damn kids!(old man rant off)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Joisey?

I did say I'd be financing this. No way in hell would my parents pay to send me and me alone to the tropics for two weeks. There are these things called 'jobs,' you see, which you spend time doing work for, and in exchange, they give you money! It's a great system!

So far, the only serious answers in this thread are St. Thomas, Dry Tortugas, and possibly Belize.

I guess I should know better than to ask on ARFCOM by now, huh?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Go on cheapcarribean.com and book yourself a nice all inclusive in Punta Cana in DR. Just outta high school you will have the time of your life there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Joisey?

I did say I'd be financing this. No way in hell would my parents pay to send me and me alone to the tropics for two weeks. There are these things called 'jobs,' you see, which you spend time doing work for, and in exchange, they give you money! It's a great system!

So far, the only serious answers in this thread are St. Thomas, Dry Tortugas, and possibly Belize.

Seriously, St. Thomas.  It really is one of the best spots to go as a "tourist".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
well if you want hot and sandy vacations, why not join the Army and go to Iraq or at least NTC?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Aruba
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Maui is best IMO, but probably the most expensive.  Not so much babes either.  Best amenities and cleanliness.

Carribean and Mexico cost less, have more babes but not as nice in general vs. Maui...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I heard Jamaica is kind of scary, very violent place if you leave the tourist areas.

I personally would like to visit Martinique, which is really a part of France.  The French for some reason like to pretend their overseas departments are not colonies but as much a part of France as Paris. But all the flying from Anchorage to there would suck big time.  Changing planes at three different hubs and so forth, I hate airline travel.

Waikiki sucks, unless you like the idea of vacationing in an expensive downtown area.  My next vacation will probably be in Kauai, gonna try to live off the land there for a few weeks. The pot in Hawaii, if that's your thing, is good but very expensive.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Viet nam...they have the BEST water slides in Da Nang!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Joisey?

Lighten up Francis.
Your money,spend it as you see fit. (I dumped all mine into cars,guns,girls and beer.The rest I wasted)
Just don't wind up on a milkbox,or worse.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Three of the four areas you proposed have a very high unemployment rate and a lot of depressed minorities.  I'm not being racist, just pointing out some facts.

I would go to Maui.  Some of the best beaches in the world, fantastic hotels, great food and shopping, and lots of women (usually on a honeymoon though).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
well if you want hot and sandy vacations, why not join the Army and go to Iraq or at least NTC?

He said "vacation"......not a fucking hell on Earth that I wouldnt even send an insurgent to.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I spent a week in Jamaica during Christmas break of my freshman year of college, and I loved every minute of it.  Yes, we spent most of our time in tourist areas - someone else has already commented on the poverty levels, so I'll just move on - it was fantastic...  topless beaches, beautiful weather, and plenty of incredible food and drinks...

I'm going back this summer, so that lets you know how much I liked it.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Atlantis has a sale on hotel rooms for $159 a day in Feb.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Hacienda Tamarindo on Vieques Island east of Puerto Rico. You may never come back.
www.haciendatamarindo.com/raves.htm
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
St. Thomas

Here's why I would second this. I used to live on St. Thomas, and I lived on St. Croix for awhile too. Both are US Virgin Islands. St. Thomas will give you access to all the other islands nearby, St John(there's your tropical paradise right there) costs three dollars to take the ferry over. You can stay and go see all the sights on St. John, including the nude beaches, hit the tourist spots and come back to tenjoy the nightlife on St. Thomas. Then, for the diving, I would go to St. Croix. The ferry to St. Croix takes about 45 minutes, but St. Croix has the best wreck diving in the world. There are a great number of ship wrecks to dive off St. Croix, and while you are there, you can go to Buck island. That is an all day affair, but it was rated as the #1 most beautiful beach in the world by National Geographic. There are island tours from Christiansted that will take you on a yacht and provide lunch and rum.
When you get back to St. Thomas, you can rent a boat and hit all the BVI's(British Virgin Islands) you want, including Tortolla that has a full moon party once a month where waiters walk around serving cups of mushrooms, and Bomba(of Bomba's shack fame) gives mushroom tea to the ladies that take their shirts off. Also within range is Yost Van Dyke. That is probably the most beautiful little island I have ever been on. Population 70 people. One road, and electricity comes from a generator, water from a cistern. You pretty much have to have a boat to get to Yost, and the wet dollar bar serves the best painkillers in the world. There is also a five star restaraunt on the island to enjoy before you go lay in your hammok on the beach to watch the stars, or go to the little shack on the beach, where a fantastic blues musician plays, and everyone has to play an instrument(spoons, guitar, bongo etc.).

I could go on and on. There is something nearbye to cater to every taste. IM me if you want to know anything at all about the US VI's or the British VI's.
I've been to other islands as well, Puerto Rico, and Jamaica. Jamaica can be cool if you know what you're doing, but it can also be dangerous. Poverty is really outrageous there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Costa Rica is truely a beautiful country.  Its hard to take it all in without going for at least a week.  We rented a car and put a couple thousand miles on it, literally.  Drove from the Atlantic (Carribean) side to the Pacific side in a day.  The flight was like flying to Mexico.  They call it the last paradise.  We took lots of pics but the camera doesn't do the place any justice whatsoever.  The people were great and we found a little ranch on the Pacific coastline where we stayed.  It was owned by a couple of guys from Texas.  Let us know where you end up going.

eta

I could post some nude pics of my wife on the beach.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#28]
There is a place near Manzanillo, Mexico that looks pretty nice.  I've always wanted to stay here:

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/ZLOGB/main.wnt
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Why not the South Pacific?

Bora Bora
Fiji
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Truk Lagoon
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Akumal, Mexico-
Just got back last week for the 15th time there.
You would fly into Cancun and drive an hour and 1/2 south near the Tulum area. Its a small town that is very quite, uncrowded, huge condos, great people, 2 nice dive shops, awesome reef system, nice bars(not loud noisy drunks) but nice swing beach bars etc. Very relaxing place were you can leave your doors unlocked and never worry.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Bimini, Bahamas.  If you dive you will love it.  If you don't dive you will learn to.  It will take you back to 1957, walk end to end on the island.

It is a little rough looking though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Grand Cayman
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Dollar for dollar my wife and I got a damn good deal in Oahu, Hawaii. He had a hotel in Wikiki right across from the beach. We were there in early June, we booked on Expedia about 4 months ahead and we got the hotel for 120 dollars a night. For most of the island you can get around on the public busses, the buss tickets was 40 for 4 days unlimited rides around the whole island. You will need to rent a car or take a tour for the north shore.

You can get to all the tourist sites via bus and even too a lot of neat state parks if you want to see Jungle.

I would suggest buying the Frommers Hawaii from 80.00 a day book, lots of good tips in there. We were about 4 blocks from the International Marketplaces. In the food court there they have all types of food and a lot of asian food. You can get a plate lunch for about $5-7. You can dine for more, a lot more.

If you are in Wikiki and want a fancy seafood buffet try the Oceanarium, it's 40.00 per person. They have awesome stuff.

The airfare was 600.00 each, booked on Expedia about 4 months ahead.We flew from Knoxville, TN to Houston, TX from there to Honolulu.

I would splurge and go to the Polynesian Cultural Center and go to Pearl Harbor. You will want to go to the Punchbowl and the USS Missouri too. I would go to the Chinatown in Honolulu, it's really cool if you have never seen that sort of thing befor. From there you can walk to the Foster Botanical Gardens and there is a Budihist Temple beside it. I loved it. All of the information is in the Frommers Hawaii from 80 Dollars a Day Guide. I would get  Frommers for where ever you pick.

I liked Oahu alot.

I was not impressed with Beleize, I would rather go to Cozumel, Mexico. It's still torn up there but the snorkeling and diving are good. Mexico is fairly cheap. My wife and I had a huge Mexican Lunch at La Chosa on Cozumel for 30.00. Damn good food, I still cant figure out what the Yellow Salsa is made of, it has noe Queso.

You may want to look at a Cruise, they are nice too. Plus you can drink in International Waters.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Grand Cayman

He said cheap dude, I paid six dollars for a damn Corona at a bar on the beach, six fucking dollars.

And in Grand Cayman the exchange is like .84 Cayman Dollars = 1 U.S.D

In Costa Maya, Mexico I could get a six pack of Corona for 5 dollars.

Oh and try the Dos Equis Lager, I like it. It's better than Cornoa.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, BVI sounds like the place.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#36]
So, it looks like the Virgin Islands (specifically, St. Thomas) are winning in people's opinions. I'll look into that.

Poll added.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grand Cayman

He said cheap dude, I paid six dollars for a damn Corona at a bar on the beach, six fucking dollars.

You  havent seen enough of Grand Cayman . Ive been going there every year the last 10 years and a 6 pack of coronas at ABC s was around 8$ last time I was there and 1. 75 of Vodka
about 23$ Yeah I know its like about 12$ here but still good for any Island cost. Drinks are a lot cheaper along the south and east side around peasebay and bodden town. The west side and 7 mile beach will rip your wallet. Sharkys is fun thoughFlight to and from are fairly cheap.

Now if yu want cheaper than mexico where the average person makes a 1$  an hour and a beer is .50c and anything of everey kind of vice you could indulge for pocket change go to Panama my friend You can feed 5 people a great meal for a little over 10$! They have the beaches, Island hoppers, SCUBA deep sea trawling..... Flys almost everyday out of Houston for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grand Cayman

You  havent seen enough of Grand Cayman . Ive been going there every year the last 10 years and a 6 pack of coronas at ABC s was around 8$ last time I was there and 1. 75 of Vodka
about 23$ Yeah I know its like about 12$ here but still good for any Island cost. Drinks are a lot cheaper along the west side around peasebay and bodden town. The west side and 7 mile beach will rip your wallet. Sharkys is fun thoughFlight to and from are fairly cheap.

Now if yu want cheaper than mexico where the average person makes a 1$  an hour and a beer is .50c and anything of everey kind of vice you could indulge for pocket change go to Panama my friend You can feed 5 people a great meal for a little over 10$! They have the beaches, Island hoppers, SCUBA deep sea trawling..... Flys almost everyday out of Houston for cheap.

It was on 7 mile beach, it was pretty beach.

My wife and I got back from a cruise and that was one of the ports, we went snorkeling with the stingrays there at Stingray City. It was fucking cool, those rays are so tame and friendly. Very beautiful and graceful animals.

There was a Japanese couple on the boat with us, a man and his wife. The wife got all flipped out in the water when the rays would come by her. It told my wife the rays are pissed off at her cus she ate there brother.

Edited to add

For the OP, how much do you plan on spending?

That would help us with our suggestions.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Bahamas !

Go to Paradise Island

OR

Atlantis
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It was on 7 mile beach, it was pretty beach.

My wife and I got back from a cruise and that was one of the ports, we went snorkeling with the stingrays there at Stingray City. It was fucking cool, those rays are so tame and friendly. Very beautiful and graceful animals.

There was a Japanese couple on the boat with us, a man and his wife. The wife got all flipped out in the water when the rays would come by her. It told my wife the rays are pissed off at her cus she ate there brother.

Sounds like you were at the standing sting ray city out in the middle of the north sound standing on a sand bar in waist to chest deep water. Lol, I have video of us playing nerf football around the rays. Now if your certified, its a whole different experience spending a solid week on the ocean diving and trawling and then sun baked playing dominos  to reggae music that you dont have the slightest idea what the lyrics are unless you dred lock and isle bumb for a year

Oh heck, shut up me! Yes, a budget would help with suggestions
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Hawaii. You'll still be on US soil and still have the rights and protections of a US citizen. The other places listed, both yours and the others, are "too hot" for me, and I don't mean tempurature.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#42]
BERMUDA.

The Bahamas and VI are tooThird World for me.  And Hawaii while beautiful is an Asian tourist trap.  Have been to Bermuda several times and it keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#43]
You can go to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico dirt cheap and its up to you whether you want spring break party  or a laid back corona commercial vacation. I saw a package for 7 nights all inclusive hotel and r/t air to cancun for $700.
Cancun is pretty beat up but spring break will still happen. Just gotta make sure you book a hotel that is not torn up.
I am staying on an island just offshore of Cancun in Feb. It's high season but you can still get a liveable room for around $50 USD, you wont ever be in the room anyway.
Try this place they got me a great deal. travelfrom.com.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Gun range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top