Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:46:59 PM EDT
Have you ever thought of just  owning 1 top of the line handgun, 1top of the line sniper rifle , 1 AR , and one shotgun. instead of buying and filling your safe up with guns you never seem to shoot.
Sometimes I find myself always taking the same ones to the range ,over and over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Never really worried about it.  I do actually shoot all my guns though, some more than others.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What Guns??
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Two is one.

Enough to outfit a battalion is to many.

A company task force is not enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
yes i think about culling it down to the  4 or 5 I shoot often
The rest don't ever leave the safe hell a couple of them still have tags on them
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]

How many guns are too many?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yes i think about culling it down to the  4 or 5 I shoot often
The rest don't ever leave the safe hell a couple of them still have tags on them

Thats exactly what I mean , I'm sure alot of guys safes are that way
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm downsizing here.........If I dont use it, its going down the road
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had that though. In fact, I will shortly be selling all of my guns with four exceptions. The two Colt 1911s will stay. The ARs will go, and I will build a new one with a short dot to do everything. I am going to get an AI, and then a .338-06 Ackley to hunt with. So that is eight guns, including three I will keep for sentimental reasons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
googol
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
When then number of "Look at my new toy" threads I put up a day rivals the number of Chuck Norris threads, then maybe I might have to many
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Not possible.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
up too 13 here 1 more on backorder.  That will be 16 by November.  20+ by November 2008.  and top answer your question no.  I like a variety of choice when going to the range, that said the guns that are cheapest to shoot get used more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not possible.

yes it is possible, but easily fixed.  when you cant close the door on your house/apartment/van by the river, then you need to get a bigger place
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You can never have too many "tools"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Two is one.

Enough to outfit a battalion is too many.

Fixed it.

About those threads bemoaning America's youth….
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you ever thought of just  owning 1 top of the line handgun, 1top of the line sniper rifle , 1 AR , and one shotgun. instead of buying and filling your safe up with guns you never seem to shoot.
Sometimes I find myself always taking the same ones to the range ,over and over.

I tried that ..... Didn't work

Now I need another safe because my overflow safe is overflowing .
I also found that if you're taking the same guns to the range over and
over again . Then you just don't shoot enough
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I own at least one top of the line handgun, one top of the line sniper rifle, one top of the line anti material rifle, one top of the line AR, one top of the line SMG, one top of the line BFMG, one top of the line battle rifle and one top of the line shotgun. I might have one or two duplicates and a couple might be around just 'couse I like the way they look or my dad owned them or some other good reason.
I think I figured it out, if I got rid of all the guns that I don't have a real reason to have, I could get down to 42.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two is one.

Enough to outfit a battalion is too many.

Fixed it.

About those threads bemoaning America's youth….

Maybe I should start a thread about who gives a fuck about internet grammar?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have lost count
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I collect historic rifles and I think it is more than just shooting them. It is nice to be able to just hold these pieces of history and imagine where they've been. We are preserving them for future generations.

That said I do rotate through them all and plan to shoot them more often when I get a house with land in the country and my own range.

I have 35 or so and have a very long list yet to get.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Beware of the man with only one houseful of guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How many guns are too many?

A recent survey proved this!  87 is the official cut off point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I collect C&R rifles and I still shoot them all unless I have multiple of the same rifle then I just store them for the future. The biggest problem is keeping ammo in stock for everything.

So how many are too much?

You will know when you have to move "87" guns to the side just to use the toilet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:26:35 AM EDT
[#24]
You'll always want more, I know I do.  
I only buy what I can afford to buy ammo for.  Personally, I'd rather become proficient with the 2 rifles I own, than have a bunch of rifles and not be a very good shooter.  

That said, I'll be getting a S&W 9mm pistol as a gift in a few months, but still plan on buying a glock 17.
I have a 10/22 but have always wanted a .17hmr bolt gun.  Once I can afford ammo for something, THEN I'll consider adding the gun to my "collection".  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have had exactly the same thoughts, but now that I have a son I think I'll hang onto them so he can have them. Also when I think about all the guns that I have traded off over the years that I wish I had back makes me think twice about getting rid of any now. Guns like pre-lock S&W revolvers that are worth two or three times (used) more than I gave for them new.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
My go-to guns get first priority. I shoot them every other week. It's the C&Rs that don't get shot as much.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree with the Redhorseman,if you can't shut you r door on you house, or apartment then maybe you need a bigger house or apartment. But you can never have too many guns. Kinda like saying a woman has to many shoes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, sort of.

I don't even hassle any other people about owning too many guns - I really don't care.

But for me, I just can't see owning more than I need.  When money is involved, oftentimes I'm driven by need rather than want.  Guess I'm a cheap bastard.

I have one AR, one shotgun, two identical 1911s, and a 22 rifle (inherited).

I did inherit 5 old family guns last year - only one of them is shootable - a 22 rifle.  

The 22 hadn't been shot since before I was born - so about 50 years.  I inspected it, cleaned it, etc.  Took it to the range, and with no adjustment, the sights were dead on at 50 yds.    My dad got that rifle when he was 8 in 1941.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#29]
If someone asks you if you have a particular gun, and you have to think about it for a minute, you have too many.

If your wife has ever said "Move these damm guns out of the way so that I can ______" more then once a day, you might have too many.

Or if the gunstore starts calling you for parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I only have a 10-22 and a .38 .
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe we should ask "how many is not enough"?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I collect historic rifles and I think it is more than just shooting them. It is nice to be able to just hold these pieces of history and imagine where they've been. We are preserving them for future generations.

That said I do rotate through them all and plan to shoot them more often when I get a house with land in the country and my own range.

I have 35 or so and have a very long list yet to get.

My long lost brother!!!!!

A significant portion of my collection is former US or British military issue, or a clone.  If they get more ceremonial use (like supplying our Marine Corps Ball uniform pageant with correct weapons for the Civil War / SpanAm / WW1 / WW2 / Korea),  I'm okay with that . I also have brought them out for the coaches and PMIs to play with after concluding the ranges I've run.  They help bring a historical perspective to the military, and particularly Marine Corps, history they've learned.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I only own four...
...Safes.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Or if the gunstore starts calling you for parts.

HA!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

you dont hunt do you?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#37]
What I never thought of is buying crappy guns. You can never have too many quality guns that add to your capability.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Every gun I own except for 3 [either given to me or bought dirt cheap for around $25 bucks] are quality guns. Some don't get shot much, but it is nice to take them out once in a while for a change up. I own very few Bolt actions and really, except for the .22s, I don't have much use for them as I shoot lefty and they suck, much easier to shoot semi lefty. I am getting rid of all my SA 1911s as I don't like them and none of them worked out of the box correctly tho I seem to have all the bugs worked out now. Other then that I'll keep what I have, as it will never get easier to buy them then it is now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think it really matters how many you have.  As long as you can afford it, store it safely and enjoy it there really is no "enough".  I have asked this question time and time again, I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter and it is up to the individual.

This site does not help with pics of other users and range reports of newer type rifles.  That gives me new ideas........

Max
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I used to own about 40 or more firearms, all of them "modern para-military".

This was years ago. I now own one good carbine, one good pistol, a .22 rifle and a few family heirlooms. I like to know where each one of my shots are going: hence I'll likely never own another shotgun.

I'm still in the market for a good .30 battle rifle of some sort. After that I'll be all done.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#41]
too many?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]

I kinda ment

Quoted:

Quoted:

you dont hunt do you?

Yes I do hunt, I kinda separate my hunting rifles in another safe.
If I had too included my hunting rifles my post doesn't work
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Beware of the man with only one houseful of guns.

Yeah. He probably knows where he keeps them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I do believe in the "quality over quantity" thing, I also believe in the collector's creed: Do they make it, do I have it, do I want it. I will always have more guns than I need, but never as many as I want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What Guns??

exactly.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#47]
So many tools So little time, you can never get enough
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#48]
The other day I was cleaning out the closet in my computer room at the house and found two rifles still in the shipping boxes from a year ago that I had forgot about (an extra Yugo SKS and M44) Between hunting firearms, inherited stuff, ARs, AKs, C&Rs, handguns, and cheap shit I bought at pawn shops and FTF over the years it is bordering on ridiculous. I still can't see myself ever selling any, gotta have some stuff to leave the kids/grandkids when these damn things are hard to come by or even transfer one day. That doesn't even count the stuff my dad has that will have to go somewhere one day and he always says "You never sell a gun, just move it to the back"

So what do I do ? I bought an excellent condition Charles Daly 20 ga. semi-auto shotgun at a pawnshop today for $230 tax included.  There is a gunshow next weekend and I want a kel-tec .380.

It is a damn disease and I don't want to be cured I'm a packrat by nature and it is damn near impossible for me to sell anything. I've only ever sold one firearm and that was a Marlin Papoose 10 years ago, still wish I hadn't done it and I didn't even like it.  

ETA: Forgot to answer the question, there are never enough, only the next one you are going to buy and then the next one, and the next one...........
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You can never have too many "tools"

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#50]
I just learned the rule of 87.    So now I have started a collection for my oldest son.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top