Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:29:30 PM EDT
I love shoutcast. I would never have listened to these guys otherwise.

Stone Temple Pilots
Story of the Year
Alkaline Trio
10,000 Maniacs
Audioslave

Currently trying The Donnas, Coheed & Cambria, and Coldplay.

I assume we have a few fans of these bands here among our 16,000 or so members.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Coheed is the only band listed that's worth a shit.

Edit: Story Of The Year is one of the worst bands in the history of music.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Stone Temple Pilots
Story of the Year
Alkaline Trio
10,000 Maniacs
Audioslave

Been in a coma? They have both been broken up for ten years or so.

Quoted:

STP was a great band and Audioslave f'n rocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]

+1 on Audioslave not to fond of the other ones you listed though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
STP was better when Scott Weiland was on smack.  When he went into rehab, they weren't as good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stone Temple Pilots
Story of the Year
Alkaline Trio
10,000 Maniacs
Audioslave

Currently trying The Donnas, Coheed & Cambria, and Coldplay/

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Edit: Story Of The Year is one of the worst bands in the history of music.

It turns out Coheed would only be worth a shit if they didn't sing. That kind of kills their songs.

But I guess you're a true punk: You like what you like, and fuck everything else.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stone Temple Pilots
Story of the Year
Alkaline Trio
10,000 Maniacs
Audioslave

Been in a coma? They have both been broken up for ten years or so.

Haven't listened to much besides electronica for a while. Rediscovering alt-rock, indy, and punk.

Coldplay has turned out to be shit, as well. Feh.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Lotta old or bad stuff there.

Go try "The Wages of Sin".
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I like 10,000 Maniacs.  Natalie Merchants voice has a fantastic sound.  STP and Audioslave are great bands too.

My son likes Coheed and Cohiba Cambria.

eta, my mistake
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, talk about nostalgia. I was listening to STP in high school when Core first came out (their best album by the way). Alkaline trio is pretty decent too and Audioslave rocks. How old are you?

Some of my favorite bands that you should check out in this impressionable state:

Kyuss
Danzig
The Misfits
Fireball Ministry
Sleep
High on Fire
Dead Kennedy's
Naked Raygun
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Lowrider
Muse
Hot Water Music
Fu Manchu
Clutch
Manowar
Murder City Devils
Monster Magnet
Hawkwind
Dozer
Roadsaw
Queens of the Stone age
500 foot of pipe
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Kings of Leon
Opeth
Fugazi
Minor Threat
Rancid
Bad Religion
Social Distortion
Botch
Dilinger Escape Plan
The Locust
Coalesce
Converge

And many others that I don't feel like typing now.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Clutch = Tits
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Album: Funeral
Band: Arcade Fire
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
To each his own.  I think Stone Temple Pilots, 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant, though a liberal, has a great voice and is rather attractive, IMO), and Audioslave are all good bands, IMO.  

I find it funny that just because a band/group is 10 years old, or hasnt made new music is said amount of time, that some people believe those bands are sub-par.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Clutch = Tits

+1!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
To each his own.  I think Stone Temple Pilots, 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant, though a liberal, has a great voice and is rather attractive, IMO), and Audioslave are all good bands, IMO.  

I find it funny that just because a band/group is 10 years old, or hasnt made new music is said amount of time, that some people believe those bands are sub-par.  

Nope, they were just as sub-par when they were putting music out as they are now.

BTW, if you like Clutch you need to check out Brand New Sin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Mister Wylde seems to be a one trick pony. You like your music boring,monotonous and mindless.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/supaskataco/dropkick-murphys.jpg

Hell yeah. Listening to "As One" right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
my current spins;

seconds before
the blinding light
kaki king
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wow, talk about nostalgia. I was listening to STP in high school when Core first came out (their best album by the way). Alkaline trio is pretty decent too and Audioslave rocks. How old are you?

18, why?

Some of my favorite bands that you should check out in this impressionable state:

Kyuss
Danzig
The Misfits Tried them, didn't like them
Fireball Ministry
Sleep
High on Fire
Dead Kennedy's Tried them, hated them
Naked Raygun
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Lowrider
Muse
Hot Water Music
Fu Manchu
Clutch
Manowar Tried them, hated them
Murder City Devils
Monster Magnet
Hawkwind
Dozer
Roadsaw
Queens of the Stone age
500 foot of pipe
Kings of Leon
Opeth Tried them, they're good for chilling out, but not when I'm actively listening
Fugazi
Minor Threat
Rancid
Bad Religion
Social Distortion
Botch
Dilinger Escape Plan
The Locust
Coalesce
Converge

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mister Wylde seems to be a one trick pony. You like your music boring,monotonous and mindless.

Not only do I have one of the most eclecti music collections of anyone I know, ranging from the obvious Black Label Society to bands such as The Cult, HIM, Jamie Cullum, Tricky (bonus points if you've ever even heard of them) Los Loney Boys and Montgomery Gentry, but you also have never even heard a band such as Metallica, Pantera or Black Sabbath.  If you find them boring monotonous or mindless, then you have no idea how a song is actually put together and performed.  Furthermore, the mere mention of the bands Coheed and Cambria and Clutch by the same person (as both kicking ass) just goes to reinforce the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about, as it would be difficult to find two bands that were more dissimilar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Soilwork
In Flames
Opeth.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

18, why?

Kyuss
Danzig
The Misfits Tried them, didn't like them
Fireball Ministry
Sleep
High on Fire
Dead Kennedy's Tried them, hated them
Naked Raygun
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Lowrider
Muse
Hot Water Music
Fu Manchu
Clutch
Manowar Tried them, hated them
Murder City Devils
Monster Magnet
Hawkwind
Dozer
Roadsaw
Queens of the Stone age
500 foot of pipe
Kings of Leon
Opeth Tried them, they're good for chilling out, but not when I'm actively listening
Fugazi
Minor Threat
Rancid
Bad Religion
Social Distortion
Botch
Dilinger Escape Plan
The Locust
Coalesce
Converge

Thats cool, just some suggestions.

Was wondering how old you are I guess because I kinda grew up on that music in highschool. It's cool that people are rediscovering something that's not really that old but still nostalgic to me.

By the way, you should give the Misfits and the Dead Kennedy's another try, they are awesome.

Manowar is the ultimate in cheese metal. Try listening to them without taking them seriously, they are really funny.

Which Opeth did you hear? Their music varies from melodic acoustic stuff to really heavy melodic black metal. Some of it is pretty chill, but some of it is just insane.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw Opeth live a couple years ago.  They're really good, but I was bored at the show.  I still want to pick up one of their newer albums just for the hell of it.  If I knew their material better maybe I would have liked them live.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I saw Opeth live a couple years ago.  They're really good, but I was bored at the show.  I still want to pick up one of their newer albums just for the hell of it.  If I knew their material better maybe I would have liked them live.

They are a truly incredible band. It is true that you enjoy the show more when you know the music. I can't really recommend any one album because they are all amazing, but check out "My Arms, Your Hearse", "Orchid", and "Deliverance" to get started.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Manowar is the ultimate in cheese metal. Try listening to them without taking them seriously, they are really funny.

Manowar is great driving music.  Pure silly cock-rock.  My wife laughs because I know all the words to "The Warrior's Prayer" and speak along with it in a cheesy English accent.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are a truly incredible band. It is true that you enjoy the show more when you know the music. I can't really recommend any one album because they are all amazing, but check out "My Arms, Your Hearse", "Orchid", and "Deliverance" to get started.

I've heard those I think...seen the dvd too.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#28]
You need to check out "The Mars Volta"

Experimental Trippy Rock!

It just so happens to Fing Rock!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manowar is great driving music.  Pure silly cock-rock.  My wife laughs because I know all the words to "The Warrior's Prayer" and speak along with it in a cheesy English accent.  

Dude, I know every word to every song that Manowar ever made. Remember, "If you're not into metal, then you are not my friend!"

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You need to check out "The Mars Volta"

Experimental Trippy Rock!

It just so happens to Fing Rock!

The Mars Volta is awesome, I should have included them in my list along with At the Drive In, whom two of the band members of Mars Volta used to be in including the singer. The other two went and formed Sparta, which also rocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I know every word to every song that Manowar ever made. Remember, "If you're not into metal, then you are not my friend!"

Other bands play, Manowar kills!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been listening to "The Killers" latly. First new band in a long time I have listened to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"All men play on TEN!"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Just checking MagKnightX, but since you have a  few older bands in your initial list, I must ask.

Are you familiar with TOOL?

I think history will look back and call them the best metal/rock band of their time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
The Gear Daddys
Violent Femmes
The Jazz Butcher
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
STP was better when Scott Weiland was on smack.  When he went into rehab, they weren't as good.

I actually rather like Velvet Revolver--or "Guns Temple Pilots", with Weiland on vocals and Slash on guitar.

If you like 10,000 maniacs lead singer (Natalie Merchant), check out her later solo albums--I bought Tiger Lily when it was released, and it's still in my collection.  Good chill music.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have great album covers,too.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just checking MagKnightX, but since you have a  few older bands in your initial list, I must ask.

Are you familiar with TOOL?

I think history will look back and call them the best metal/rock band of their time.

Not very, but I've heard a bit of their stuff and liked it.

As for the Opeth songs I've heard, I've listened to Deliverance (song, not entire album), Bleak, and a few things on Shoutcast I don't remember the name of.

Quoted:

Other bands play, Rammstein burns!

Just felt I had to say that...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's a dedicated site of 80's-90's rock...

www.sleazeroxx.com/bios.shtml
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top