Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 11:39:33 AM EDT
I have a Colt and want to replace the bolt assembly.  Do I have to buy Colt parts or will any assembly work.  Who makes the best one?  What do they cost?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks beekeeper The reason I asked is that Rock River Arms has them for around $100.  I thought it would be a good idea to have a few extra assemblies for backup.  What can wear out in the assembly?  How do you know when its time to replace?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Beekeeper pretty much nailed it.

I'll just add one thought - the WHY of NOT interchanging bolts and carriers.

Without proper headspacing, you set yourself up for the old exploding rifle, commonly known as the KABOOM.

KABOOM's are known to remove fingers, as well as key facial features.

Improper headspace causes out of battery detonation of the round. Out of battery detonation means the round is NOT properly supported by the bolt and chamber. When this happens BADLY enuf, the rifle explodes, and you visit the plastic surgeon. Or in a real bad KABOOM, the plastic bag.

A word to the wise.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
So if you are going to replace the bolt you would be best served to replace the barrel as well that way all new parts without headspace problems?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Girls, you are worrying too much.

Bushmaster even sells spare bolts.  A spare bolt is  great idea.

The barrel is headspaced, not the bolt.  So if all the parts are made correctly and not too worn, you can swap bolts w/out worrying about headspace.

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top