Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 9:43:59 AM EDT
Basically, the whole office knows that I am a gun person because of the client expense sheets that I turn in when I take the clients out shooting .

Every so often, someone asks me what kind of pistol they should get.  Of course, the only people who usually ask such a question have never touched a gun and now want a pistol.  I quit telling people to get a shotgun because it offends them that I think they have no businessis handling a pistol.  

My standard answer now is to explain that pistol choice is mostly a matter of personal preference and that they should take a basic pistol safety course so as to have the opportunity to handle all kinds of pistols.  

If they then say that so and so told me to get a shotgun.  I say that so and so is right, and explain the need for handling proficiencies with a pistol.

The reason I am asking this is because a couple of secretaries are asking me about what type of handgun to get.  I offered to schedule the class for them both.  Now, they are coming back to me for counter-opinions on other people's pistol recommendations.  So far I am sticking to my recommendation of a gun safety course.  Further, I am also resisting the urge to tell them that everybody elses recommendations are just making fun of them and that they should get Desert Eagles in .50 AE.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job on recommending the safety course!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I tell them to get what fits their hand best, and mention that I shoot Sigs and Glocks.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you could take them shooting so that they at least get a "hands-on" experience that might let them make better choices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Basically, the whole office knows that I am a gun person because of the client expense sheets that I turn in when I take the clients out shooting .

Every so often, someone asks me what kind of pistol they should get.  Of course, the only people who usually ask such a question have never touched a gun and now want a pistol.  I quit telling people to get a shotgun because it offends them that I think they have no businessis handling a pistol.  

My standard answer now is to explain that pistol choice is mostly a matter of personal preference and that they should take a basic pistol safety course so as to have the opportunity to handle all kinds of pistols.  

If they then say that so and so told me to get a shotgun.  I say that so and so is right, and explain the need for handling proficiencies with a pistol.

The reason I am asking this is because a couple of secretaries are asking me about what type of handgun to get.  I offered to schedule the class for them both.  Now, they are coming back to me for counter-opinions on other people's pistol recommendations.  So far I am sticking to my recommendation of a gun safety course.  Further, I am also resisting the urge to tell them that everybody elses recommendations are just making fun of them and that they should get Desert Eagles in .50 AE.

+1

I also recommend they go  to a range that rents guns (there are a few around here) and try a couple out, that way they have a better idea when they go shopping for one.
Or I try to take them shooting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The reason I am asking this is because a couple of secretaries are asking me about what type of handgun to get...

STI International race gun
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The reason I am asking this is because a couple of secretaries are asking me about what type of handgun to get...

STI International race gun

Freedom Arms makes some nice looking revolvers, tell them to buy one of those.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
New shooters need revolvers. That's what I recommend to them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Come on, now!!!!!

We start kids off with single-shots... safety and discipline.

Same for beotches coming back with, "But numbnuts says that I should....".

Do it right.  Single shot in 7mm-08:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Come on, now!!!!!

We start kids off with single-shots... safety and discipline.

Same for beotches coming back with, "But numbnuts says that I should....".

Do it right.  Single shot in 7mm-08:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/DaveDS/LoneEagle7mm-08.jpg

Do it right. Single shot in 30-06. I would loan you mine but sold it to finance a AR.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel seems to suit more people instinctively than any gun I've ever seen in any store or range. Hard to mess up the stainless version no matter how bad at maintenance you may be.

People just like to hate Bill Ruger, but he's no longer with us and the gun is a solid, well designed product at a good price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel seems to suit more people instinctively than any gun I've ever seen in any store or range. Hard to mess up the stainless version no matter how bad at maintenance you may be.

People just like to hate Bill Ruger, but he's no longer with us and the gun is a solid, well designed product at a good price.

I would go with the safety course, first and paramount.  I too would recommend the the time-tested revolver to a newbie shooter.  They are fairly cheap compared to an auto, and is easy to shoot.  My first gun was a Colt Python, and I still have it to this day.  I still shoot it.  But I would like the new person try out many different one to find out what is suitable and comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would agree on that. They are idiot proof and you can actually see how it works.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#14]
yup best thing you can do you tell them to take a training corse... then tell them to come back and ask after they have completed it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to the indoor range and rent a few.  Shoot hem and see what you like.  ANY pistol is better than NO pistol.

Think, "4" S&W 686 R-E-V-O-L-V-E-R".  

Think, "1-9-1-1".

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I like chics that shoot magnums.
It makes em jiggle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]

after talking with me for varied ammounts of time, many of my co-workers "decide" they want a gun.

i encourage and help as much as i can. many of them have ended up becoming "gun people".

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Four steps
1.  Pistol safety/shooting course
2.  Fondle lots of guns (tell her which brands tend to be better guns then others.........basically keep her away from the bad, malfunction prone, non-major manufacturer POS guns)
3.  Shoot lots of different types of guns (diff calibers, frame sizes, revolver/semi)
4.  Reiterate the advantages of a shotgun over a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
You should be more help.  Offer to give them a deal on a revolver (say... $700 for a .38)  or a Glock  ($1,000 just for you, because we know each other!)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell them to go shoot as many as they can until they find one they can shoot really well with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Send them to VA Arms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You should be more help.  Offer to give them a deal on a revolver (say... $700 for a .38)  or a Glock  ($1,000 just for you, because we know each other!)

Yup...especially the ones that ask the most dumb questions.  Like:  Will this .38 spl throw the bad guy through that wall?  Does this gun (.44mag) have a lot of recoil?  Why don't I want a .22magnum, you see that it says magnum, right, isn't magnum supposed to be powerful?"  Why are guns loud?  What's limp wristing?"  I can go on for hours.  I stopped trying to teach people that have never touched a gun to shoot because of 2 reasons.

1.  They talk more than they listen
2.  They hardly ever take my advice when they go looking for a gun.  I give generic advice such as:  Go feel a bunch of guns and find the one that fits your hand.  You would be smart to stay with guns of these makes:  Glock, Sig, HK, S&W, Beretta, Kahr, etc.  Sure you don't want a shotty?, They are cheaper, easier to use, and more intimidating.

There have been one or two that listened to me when I talked to them.  I take my guns, and before we go on the range, I clear them out, teach them how to clear a gun, then I tell them how to operate the gun, and make them show me the proper way (mag release, safety, etc).  After I am confident that they understand all the safety and operation stuff, I take them to the range, set up a target rather close and tell them to aim for the center of the chest/bullseye, and not to worry about where the impact is.  Then I monitor for safety violations and correct promptly and firmly, not mean, just firm so that they remember.  

If they listen, they will learn.  If they rely on their hollywood ideas of shooting, than I won't take them on the range.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
i usually ask why they want it primarily:  defense or fun.  if the answer is defense, i recommend the shotgun, followed by a stainless .357 wheelgun.  this usually brings a lot of groans, to which i respond with "so fun is important, too."

at that point, i encourage them to take a safety course first, using a rental, and make buying decisions afterwards.

when they do come back, i recommend sig or glock.  DA/decocker is, in my view, much better suited to a new shooter than a 1911 is.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I could get my job to pay for me taking clients out shooting.

What do you do?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What do you do?

And is there an opening for a fellow Virginian?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So, you don't have any problem taking clients out shooting.  Probably don't have any problems offering insight to your clients on potential gun purchases.  But...  you concider it a PITA for co-workers to ask for your help.  Why not take a coworker or two out shooting, show them the ropes, teach them safe shooting?  Oh yeah...  probably not covered on your expense report.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Budget?  Purpose? Previous experience level?  Calibre?  Size?  Will you realisticly maintain it/ Maintainence level desired?

Once I know these it is really narrowed down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like chics that shoot magnums.
It makes em jiggle.

Full-auto works better. They jiggle more AND it gives you an excuse to hold them upright so the recoil doesn't knock them around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess my response would depend on if I had any for sale.......

SRM
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you do?

And is there an opening for a fellow Virginian?

Consulting.  May need a BSEE soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Definetly a short barreled .500 ....definetly ..
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like you're in a perfect position to expand our sport.  Don't fritter it.  May I recommend becoming a certified instructor?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#33]
"How do you deal with coworkers who decide they want a pistol"?

I sell them one!(Part time GunMonkey, aka Salesman of fine firearms)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you don't have any problem taking clients out shooting.

NOPE

Probably don't have any problems offering insight to your clients on potential gun purchases.  

Nope and although they haven't asked because they are the client.  If the client asked me to go to the gun store and hold his hand while he buys the gun, I would do it.

But...  you concider it a PITA for co-workers to ask for your help.  

NO, just trying not to offend and wanting them to be safe.  

Why not take a coworker or two out shooting, show them the ropes, teach them safe shooting?  

Kids and Wife get precedence.  Few in the Office are into shooting as recreation.  I sometimes have to pull rank to get other coworker(s) to go shoot a couple rounds of skeet/trap with me and clients to at least have a foursome.  I use to take the Office Services guy with me all the time but he retired on me.  

Oh yeah...  probably not covered on your expense report.

Interestingly, my shooting expenses plus a modest meal are always less than the guys entertaining clients by doing 18 holes of golf, club house lunch and use of the on-course refreshment cart.  Unless, I do a full-auto outing.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Single shot in 7mm-08:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/DaveDS/LoneEagle7mm-08.jpg

Who makes it, where can I find one, and how much is it going to cost me?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I stopped giving most of my coworkers adive. I had one that was ready wanted to goto a show and buy something. I kept telling him lets goto the range and try some of there pistols on for size. No he wanted right then and there. So I went to the show to try to coach him and steer him in the right direction.

Well we got there and he decided to change his budget from $500.00 to $300.00. So I tried to steer him towards some of the Rugers and Taurus, and even some of the used wheelguns. He decided that he founf the perfect pistol a Davis .32acp. I tried to tell him to save his $130.00 but he had his heart set on it. I told him he would be sorry.. One week later he asks me where he can buy a new grip for it, because he was inserting the mag and the grip popped off or something. I gave him the number to a local shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top