Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 12:17:40 PM EDT

hung up for like, a minute
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
its because your still using IE
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah that's a side effect of the spyware I installed on your system.  you're going to see a $2000 charge on your credit card from impact guns as soon as an FS2000 ships, but dont worry too much about that
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, sorry 'bout that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
*.bmp's suck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
what browser should we use? why?

-HS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
opera

firefox 1.5

are excellent alternatives    
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
*.bmp's suck.

ok smartass-  I changed it.

I use Firefox at home - this is a company PC (rather not start a war with our technazis)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry for the hijack.  

the web (arfcom) was slow last night,  and a little today too
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
sorry for the hijack.  

the web (arfcom) was slow last night,  and a little today too

you get a pass because you're cool and because you've helped me numerous times with PC issues.

p.s.  if you're bored, you could explain to me why I get intermittent service when I go through my router (effects even the cable modem according to the modem leds), but perfect service when I use solely my modem.  (cable)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
opera

firefox 1.5

are excellent alternatives    

I really like Firefox. Zero popups, and pretty user friendly
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yeah that's a side effect of the spyware I installed on your system.  you're going to see a $2000 charge on your credit card from impact guns as soon as an FS2000 ships, but dont worry too much about that

Can i get in on that too?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can i get in on that too?

get your own spyware buddy
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
is this effecting wireless or just hardwired systems
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
is this effecting wireless or just hardwired systems

both, which tells me that when I use the router, the problem is occuring on the modem/ISP side

It has actually worked correctly for the past three days for once, leading me to believe that perhaps the ISP got their crap straight (?) hopefully
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
here in ky.   when you setup the cable internet service you register 1 mac address to work with the internet service.  
ex mac address   00:40:F4:45:CC:XX

if you hook up a router, different computer, or replace a network card in your system the internet stops working.  becaues the mac address is not registered with the service.   this would be the case  I don't know.   you will have to call your ISP to register the new device.  

what type of service is it     static ip adress,  dynamic,  you will have to configure your service type in the router for it to work properly.  most likely its dynamic.       to configure the router its most likely one of these 1   option 2 2

might check for firmware update for your specific router.   check the manufactors web page for these files and instructions

or the blasted router is bad.  here recently i have seen alot of bad netgear routers
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
here in ky.   when you setup the cable internet service you register 1 mac address to work with the internet service.  
ex mac address   00:40:F4:45:CC:XX  

if you hook up a router, different computer, or replace a network card in your system the internet stops working.  becaues the mac address is not registered with the service.   this would be the case  I don't know.   you will have to call your ISP to register the new device.  

well, I cloned the MAC address, it has just been intermittent before

what type of service is it     static ip adress,  dynamic,  you will have to configure your service type in the router for it to work properly.  most likely its dynamic.    

I was told it was dynamic by my ISP (Charter), but it seems like the most recent thing I did to make it work for so long was change the router settings in the set-up utility for static

to configure the router its most likely one of these 1   option 2 2  it's actually the first

might check for firmware update for your specific router.   check the manufactors web page for these files and instructions

tried that a few weeks ago after the initial issues, there is no support

or the blasted router is bad.  here recently i have seen alot of bad netgear routers

it's actually a brand new CompUsa brand router.  Like I said, it's been working fine for the past couple of days, so I'm just going to hold tight and hope it stays that way.  Thanks for your tips
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
i use Linksys  WRT54G   routers.   they are excellent for home use
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i use Linksys  WRT54G   routers.   they are excellent for home use

yeah, but linksys = $40-50
compusa = $3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#19]
you get what you pay for with electronics.

would you rather pay less and have problems.  or pay a little more and you internet work
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks goodness you started a thread about it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks goodness you started a thread about it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top