Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:37:04 PM EDT
Every time I hear politicians and the like speak to a black congregation or group they "sound" black. They change the way they speak, the phrasing, and the words so they can "be" black. These same people would NEVER speak this way in any other group or speaking engagement.

So, is this racist, condensating, or just "being in tune" with the group you are with? I do not see it with almost any other ethnic background, save for a bit of the same when they speak to a "redneck" crowd. Then the twang and drawl gets used a bit.

Just something I have really been noticing quite a lot lately by one set of politicos.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG for some good examples.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The colored community should be pissed when a politician does this kind of stunt.  To me it seems like the politician is saying 'you are easily fooled by my staged theatrics'.  Algore is the most blatant. It's reminds me of a con man trying to dupe some primative culture with shiney baubles.  The audience should just tell him to GTF out of there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That's shit's real common...and real dumb too. It's not just Politicians that do it, everyday idiots have been known to do it as well.

People are retarded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
what it is, G?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I really serious about this, to me it's a bit racist, and condensating, and makes them sound like they are trying to come down to "their" level. [I am NOT implying that their IS another level BTW] Oh, and Mr. Nagin seems to be taking classes in the art of "preaching" to the city, it makes him seem like a simple minded moron [maybe it's not hard for him] who can't lead, only incite. Bleh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I love it when snow white news anchors try to say Spanish words with an accent. Some of them talk like any average person with no obvious accent then as soon as a name or place comes up they try to sound like they are from the location.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Mayor Nagin and Jesse HiJackson being the worst.  Can't be black and be any smarter than your audience or they think you workin' for the man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The colored community should be pissed when a politician does this kind of stunt.  To me it seems like the politician is saying 'you are easily fooled by my staged theatrics'.  Algore is the most blatant. It's reminds me of a con man trying to dupe some primative culture with shiney baubles.  The audience should just tell him to GTF out of there.

This is as it seems to me also. I would feel offended if someone who was supposedly intelligent and educated talked this way to me simply because of the color of my skin. I have never heard Walter Williams talk "black" just because he was speaking to a predominantly black group. He instead  spoke as a highly intelligent man who tried to connect with reason, not emotions above all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is as it seems to me also. I would feel offended if someone who was supposedly intelligent and educated talked this way to me simply because of the color of my skin. I have never heard Walter Williams talk "black" just because he was speaking to a predominantly black group. He instead  spoke as a highly intelligent man who tried to connect with reason, not emotions above all.

And you can imagine how Jesse and Al talk about him!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
They sure reamed Ross Perot for saying "You people".   WTF? you cant refer to a race as "You people? It seems COMPLETLY appropriate to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
When I'm elected Emperor of All I Survey...I'm gonna outlaw the word "racist" It is so overused and mostly misused.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Its only racist if you come from Chocolate City
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If you gotta ask, then it is
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When I'm elected Emperor of All I Survey...I'm gonna outlaw the word "racist" It is so overused and mostly misused.

True, but if you speak to a group of people differently just because of the color of their skin, isn't that a bit offensive, and elitist? Are they dumber? Less intellegent? Unable to understand the person and how they normally speak? And if not........then why do they do this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I am not talking shit, but does the refering to blacks as. "the colored community" fly in Tennesse?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
it's mimicry. Interview someone sometime. If you are dealing with someone it is easy to mimic their speech pattern and accent in some way to build a link between you both. I am originally from the caribbean, I do not have a Louisville accent but when i return home to visit I notice I begin to speak differently. I used to work with a Jamaican, he could turn his accent and speech patterns off and on at will.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
You know how you make chocolate?  You take dark chocolate and add white milk cream... - Ray Nagin Mayor of New Orleans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I seem to recall Klinton going to campaign speeches with his hair dyed more grey for an older audience, and brown for a younger audience.

Kind of the same thing from another dishonest scoundrel motherfucker.

-K
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Every time I hear politicians and the like speak to a black congregation or group they "sound" black. They change the way they speak, the phrasing, and the words so they can "be" black. These same people would NEVER speak this way in any other group or speaking engagement.

So, is this racist, condensating, or just "being in tune" with the group you are with? I do not see it with almost any other ethnic background, save for a bit of the same when they speak to a "redneck" crowd. Then the twang and drawl gets used a bit.

Just something I have really been noticing quite a lot lately by one set of politicos.

OH NO!!

It might be RACIST!!

The most meaningless and overused word in history.

Know what's racist?

Anything that non-whites don't like is racist.

Pretending that Al Sharpton is a leader is racist.

Who gives a fuck?  Don't you liberal wannabees ever just get sick of the whole topic?  Don't you get tired of people just grinding and grinding and grinding away at the same crapola year after year?

Death to all liberals for making us listen to this shit on a daily basis for 40 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Politicians do that and other stuff all the time.  For example, think of the presidential campaining.  When they're in the city taking to factory guys, they wear blue jeans, flannel shirts in order to look like they're "just one of the guys".  Or when they go to rural areas, they'll be wearing a cowboy hat.  Do ever think you'll see Kerry wearing a blaze orange and field tan vest anywhere else but in small towns?  Also when they're in the city with the white colored folk they look like white collared folk.  So when politicians talk to blacks or hispanics or anybody else, they make an attempt (for good or bad) to seem like they are on the same level.

When in Rome...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Mayor Nagin and Jesse HiJackson being the worst.  Can't be black and be any smarter than your audience or they think you workin' for the man.

Mayor Nagin isn't acting, he's a dumb ass that really talks like that
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not talking shit, but does the refering to blacks as. "the colored community" fly in Tennesse?

Do you know the name of the biggest organization in the country that is dedicated to the Advancement of Colored People? I do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Trying to sound black in order to impress a black audience is not racist.  A better word is "pandering."  

Trying to sound black in order to be demeaning to blacks is racism.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know the name of the biggest organization in the country that is dedicated to the Advancement of Colored People? I do.

Nerver thought of that. New ammo. Excellent point. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top