Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:37:18 PM EDT
I have seen several members post about owning machineguns in the Phillipines and how cheap they are over there.  I was under the impression that the U.S. was one of the few remaining places where civillian ownership of firearms of any kind was not severely restricted.  That being said what is the procedure for owning machineguns in the Phillipines? Do they have to be registered, do you need to know someone in their government, are they illegal and its just that nobody cares?  What's the deal cause I think I'm gonna have to move there to be able to afford an M-16 someday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have seen several members post about owning machineguns in the Phillipines and how cheap they are over there.  I was under the impression that the U.S. was one of the few remaining places where civillian ownership of firearms of any kind was not severely restricted.  That being said what is the procedure for owning machineguns in the Phillipines? Do they have to be registered, do you need to know someone in their government, are they illegal and its just that nobody cares?  What's the deal cause I think I'm gonna have to move there to be able to afford an M-16 someday.

+1. would like to know also
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They are easy to own in Somalia too, I wouldn't wanna live there either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why not? They have nice beaches.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Been a while since I was there, but they have the same problem with gun grabbers too.

Last time I went in about 2001 there were bumper stickers every where supporting gun ownership. I got the impression there was a big gun vote coming up.

I have heard all you need to do is register and/or pay a small fee for "normal" firearms, don't know if that applies to machine guns though.

Beautiful islands, beautiful women, no welfare, and most people are very friendly and law abiding. I plan to retire there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The natives are friendly too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The natives are friendly too.

...and khat is cheap.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Ok. Let me try to disabuse your thoughts on gun ownership in the Philippines.

I will be speaking about full automatic carbines and rifles and sub guns. NOT MOUNTED MACHINEGUNS NOR BELT FED ONES LIKE THE M60 OR SAW.

As a general rule: Only military and LEO can possess and own full automatic machineguns / sub-machineguns.

HOWEVER, since time memorial, Filipinos have always been gun crazy / fanatics. This may have been brought about by the fact that we have been through several wars and rebel uprisings in the South. (I am from the South Island) Thus, guns on the streets do not surprise us. Full automatic fire at our gun ranges DO NOT RUFFLE OUR FEATHERS.

With this historical past, it is not a surprise that guns of WWII vintage or M16s from the Moro Uprisings in the south find their way to civilians. In the past, at the height of the insurgency in Mindanao, civilians have begun to arm themselves and the authorities there just looked the other way.

Thus the machineguns in the possesion of civilians. There are a lot of loose and unregistered firearms around here. Being an archipelagic country, it is simply impossible to guard every point of entry of these illegal firearms - and being there is a demand for them, they do come in.

This is a fact recognized by the government. While they are trying their darndest to control the illegal influx of these weapons, they have not been able to fully put an end to it. Thus the other alternative: they declared an amnesty! All citizens with unlicensed, unregistered firearms OF ANY TYPE (except the ones i mentioned above) can register and have the same LICENSED. The rationale is, at least they have a record of where these full auto weapons are and who owns them.

Gun ownership here in the Philippines is still very much regulated. Theoretically, we are only allowed one long and one short firearm under our name. NOTHING above .45 calibre.

Hope that clarifies things.

BTW it's PHILIPPINES.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't knock it if you have not tried it. Life is pretty laid back around here. Not at all that bad.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
$35 for a case of 10 new AK-47's in Afgan, per a spec op guy I talked to at a tradeshow.

RPG's were like $15, I think
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Been a while since I was there, but they have the same problem with gun grabbers too.

Last time I went in about 2001 there were bumper stickers every where supporting gun ownership. I got the impression there was a big gun vote coming up.

I have heard all you need to do is register and/or pay a small fee for "normal" firearms, don't know if that applies to machine guns though.

Beautiful islands, beautiful women, no welfare, and most people are very friendly and law abiding. I plan to retire there.

I am sure you will be most welcome!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anything is possible in The Philippines with the right money in the right hands.

Sadly, there is some truth to this. But WE are trying ....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the Phillipines for all the wrong reasons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey eye_spy, my wife is from Dumaguete City, she wants me to go back and meet her family but it's hard for me to get 2 weeks off in a row and 1 week just doesn't seem like it is worth it to go all that way. I'm hoping to do it in a couple years though.....

Dumaguete is a quaint "small" fishing town. Lots of good eatin' fresh seafood! You'll love it there. R and R.

Hope you and your wifey can come visit soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ok. Let me try to disabuse your thoughts on gun ownership in the Philippines.

I will be speaking about full automatic carbines and rifles and sub guns. NOT MOUNTED MACHINEGUNS NOR BELT FED ONES LIKE THE M60 OR SAW.

As a general rule: Only military and LEO can possess and own full automatic machineguns / sub-machineguns.

HOWEVER, since time memorial, Filipinos have always been gun crazy / fanatics. This may have been brought about by the fact that we have been through several wars and rebel uprisings in the South. (I am from the South Island) Thus, guns on the streets do not surprise us. Full automatic fire at our gun ranges DO NOT RUFFLE OUR FEATHERS.

With this historical past, it is not a surprise that guns of WWII vintage or M16s from the Moro Uprisings in the south find their way to civilians. In the past, at the height of the insurgency in Mindanao, civilians have begun to arm themselves and the authorities there just looked the other way.

Thus the machineguns in the possesion of civilians. There are a lot of loose and unregistered firearms around here. Being an archipelagic country, it is simply impossible to guard every point of entry of these illegal firearms - and being there is a demand for them, they do come in.

This is a fact recognized by the government. While they are trying their darndest to control the illegal influx of these weapons, they have not been able to fully put an end to it. Thus the other alternative: they declared an amnesty! All citizens with unlicensed, unregistered firearms OF ANY TYPE (except the ones i mentioned above) can register and have the same LICENSED. The rationale is, at least they have a record of where these full auto weapons are and who owns them.

Gun ownership here in the Philippines is still very much regulated. Theoretically, we are only allowed one long and one short firearm under our name. NOTHING above .45 calibre.

Hope that clarifies things.

BTW it's PHILIPPINES.

So have you registered several yet???
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
A buddy of mine form west africa told me he could easily buy a full-auto AK in his country from $50-$100 american dollars

In alot of countries you can get what ever you want if you got the cash. Ive bribed police in mexico when a dumbass friend of mine got into a fight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love the Phillipines for all the wrong reasons.

Hahahaha! My sentiments exactly!

The economic and political climate down here today is less than ideal. Hence Filipinos are trying to migrate to the US, Canada, Australia and the like to find greener pastures.

When friends ask me if i plan to migrate too ... i think to myself .... no way! i love my full auto baby!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Ahhhh yes, fond memories of the Phillipines and being 19/20 and in the Marines........damn,those were some fine days.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Just about every person I've met from the Philippines
were super cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

1 long and 1 short. An M4gery and an original Colt .45 Series 80. Registerd, licensed and with a Mission Order from the Government Agency I work for to boot.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ahhhh yes, fond memories of the Phillipines and being 19/20 and in the Marines........damn,those were some fine days.......

I think you mean "fun" days. The nightlife can be pretty wild here at times .... not that i go those kind of places .... hahaha.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
were super cool.

I'm glad that was the case. But there are some A-holes here too. So as in all places, be careful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Easy machine guns? In the Philippines??? You guys would have to tell me about this a few days before I go there! My girlfriend may get her wish after all! (Me moving to the Philippines that is.)

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
$35 for a case of 10 new AK-47's in Afgan, per a spec op guy I talked to at a tradeshow.

RPG's were like $15, I think

can we get a group buy?? im in for a few cases
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Easy machine guns? In the Philippines??? You guys would have to tell me about this a few days before I go there! My girlfriend may get her wish after all! (Me moving to the Philippines that is.)

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a lot of stuff left over from the Martial law days.  Private security firms and bodyguards.

Got stuck in a nasty traffic jam one day heading from the north toll road down to the hotels by the embassy on Roxas Blvd.  Big cemetery with a major one way artery on the southeast side.  funeral coming the wrong way up the street.  We were in a brand new Navy van (less than 100 miles on it) and the NPA had announced that they were gojing to embarass Cory aquino so she wouldn't leave on a trip to Canada, and a about two weeks after the 2 engineers from ford Aerospace were killed.

Looked in to the jeepney next to us and everybody had some kind of mag fed weapon.  M-16s, M-1 carbines (or M-2) a few Thompsons. They looked up at us and waved and we waved back. Obviously they liked Americans.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There's a lot of stuff left over from the Martial law days.  Private security firms and bodyguards.

Got stuck in a nasty traffic jam one day heading from the north toll road down to the hotels by the embassy on Roxas Blvd.  Big cemetery with a major one way artery on the southeast side.  funeral coming the wrong way up the street.  We were in a brand new Navy van (less than 100 miles on it) and the NPA had announced that they were gojing to embarass Cory aquino so she wouldn't leave on a trip to Canada, and a about two weeks after the 2 engineers from ford Aerospace were killed.

Looked in to the jeepney next to us and everybody had some kind of mag fed weapon.  M-16s, M-1 carbines (or M-2) a few Thompsons. They looked up at us and waved and we waved back. Obviously they liked Americans.

Filipino - American relationships have  had its ups and downs. We have a long history between us. We may not agree on everything, but we do consider you as "friends".

But Filipinos are friendly by nature. Most asian cultures are. Heck we are 'friendly" to the Japanese too! And we did not have a good history between us!

BUT like all nations around the world, there ARE undesirables too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
So is conversion of an AR to FA no big deal there??

Is there no different classification between an AR 15 and an M 16??

Can you just home convert any semi to FA with no .gov problems whatsoever??

Must be nice!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nope.

No. All are designated as HPLR (High Powered Long Rifle). We actually do not use the AR designation here. People just lump all variants as M16.

Yes. The norm here is, if it is an M16 (or AR in your case), then it is full automatic.

Must be nice!

The first time I came upon this site, I was dumbfounded by all the talk about semi-auto only. I thought that all M16s or ARs were full auto. That's because that IS the case around here. All M16s are in full automatic configuration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds good, I wish it were the same here.  Technically illegal, but no one gives a shit.  

I hope it doesn't happen, but all it takes is one shithead to do something stupid....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sounds good, I wish it were the same here.  Technically illegal, but no one gives a shit.  

I hope it doesn't happen, but all it takes is one shithead to do something stupid....

Ohhhh that has happened. A shithead robber with an unlicensed firearm kills someone AND the government cancels ALL Permits to Carry by civilians! Like you there, it is the law abiding gun owner who suffers. We always argue "Why pick on us? We abide by all the laws. We register our firearms. We did not rob and shoot anybody."

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 long and 1 short. An M4gery and an original Colt .45 Series 80. Registerd, licensed and with a Mission Order from the Government Agency I work for to boot.  

Register? Damn i did not know i have to register, haven't been home in a long time, what's the life span of a M203 Rounds
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Must be nice!

Full auto is not hard to get, back in 86 my uncle bought a car 15 with a 203 grenade launcher, comes with 7 grenade rounds for a lousy 300 dollars.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Register? Damn i did not know i have to register, haven't been home in a long time,

I think it's pretty obvious that you have to. No where in this world will you would find a country with a semblance of government who will not require you to register your full automatic weapons.

what's the life span of a M203 Rounds

I would not know. I stay away from the illegal stuff.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#37]

liberals can ONLY thrive where they can survive. liberals cannot survive where there is not big government and social programs.

big government and social programs do not exist in 2nd and 3rd world countries, which is why you can buy RPG's at the corner market in somalia.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Register? Damn i did not know i have to register, haven't been home in a long time,

I think it's pretty obvious that you have to. No where in this world will you would find a country with a semblance of government who will not require you to register your full automatic weapons.

what's the life span of a M203 Rounds

I would not know. I stay away from the illegal stuff.

Right

It's only illegal if you don't know anybody Higher up, money talks down there.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thus the machineguns in the possesion of civilians. There are a lot of loose and unregistered firearms around here. Being an archipelagic country...

Heh heh heh, he said "archipelagic".

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was in high school (in the 80's), my family hosted an exchange student from the Phillipines. He was quite the party boy.  He sent my dad an e-mail a year ago.  He had a nice family and had some portfolio with the government.  Go figure.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to the Philippines in May, to Olongapo City, where my wife's family is from.  She hasn't seen her family since 1994, so she is very excited.

How much can you pick up a nice Kris sword for?  A friend of mine wants me to get him one, but doesn't want to spend much more than $100 US.  Can I get something decent for that price?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
were super cool.

+1

I'm glad the thread came up just to remind me.  I may consider retirement there, too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember in 1986, I was in Samal, Bataan, when the NPA came out to sign a truce with the .mil. I watched as they marched into the square, then the Philipine rabbit came and I want back to Olongapo

The next day I told my command that I had seen the NPA and they had commie flags, and M1's and M16' and bolt guns that I couldnt tell what they were from a distance. They freaked out They had an absolute cow. I immediatley got called on the carpet by the OIC. Said that I was going to Admirals mast for going to Samal when it was off limits.  I said I didnt see any off limits message, he pointed to the red covered message folder... the one marked Secret...I said, Im not authorised Secret..his jaw dropped, his mouth hung open as I realized thet he realized that he was up the creek hahahahah
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
What about Thailand?  Seems like I have seen Thomsons, Stens, and M3 Grease Guns reportedly sell for somewhere around $150!!!hock.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top