Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:44:44 AM EDT
I was following a link from here to thinkgeek.com. While there i took a look around and found this...

LOL...

BTW: they do have some cool shirts their...

i like this one too..

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep hearing that name, and I know it has something to do with a video game, but other than that I have no clue.  Who is it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
LEROOOOOOOOOY JENNNNNNNNNNKINS!!!!!!

"Oh my God he just went in."

Speaking of cool shirts, my brother has one with "I eat n00bs" on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Goddamn it, Leeroy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Least I got chicken.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I keep hearing that name, and I know it has something to do with a video game, but other than that I have no clue.  Who is it?

Leroy Jenkins (pronounced "Jankins"): a paragon of impetuous bravery, homespun humility, ferocious determination, and all things that are good with America.  A role model kids can look up to and say, "Daddy, when I grow up I wann be just like Leroy!"  And the fathers shall beam with pride.

Thus spake Zarathustra and Willy.  Let it be so.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you kids will have no clue......... But did anybody else click this thread thinking of......

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

www.thatvideosite.com/view/46.html

"Awright, chums...   let's do this!

LEEEEEEERRROOOOOOOOOOOOYYY... JAAAAAANNKKIIINSS!!@"
"OMG..  he just ran in!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Let's do this!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I've seen part of that video before, and I didn't get it.  What's special about a bunch of players who didn't plan an attack well?

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The funny part is the REST of the party going in like lemmings. Instead of leaving the party and laughing at his inevitable death, they decide to join him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I've seen part of that video before, and I didn't get it.  What's special about a bunch of players who didn't plan an attack well?

I'm confused.

LEEEEEEERRROOOOOOOOOOOOYYY... JAAAAAANNKKIIINSS!!@
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm confused.

Leeroy's origins
Leeroy Jenkins was originally invented by Kenny Phoenix, although many people steal credit for the invention. Leeroy first appears as a paladin in a video released by the World of Warcraft player guild Pals for Life. The video, which was apparently intended as a promotional video for that guild, starts with Leeroy away from his keyboard ("AFK") while the rest of his guild is meticulously planning a raid on the rookery in an area known as Upper Blackrock Spire. Leeroy's guildmates are carefully discussing their strategy and likelihood for survival when Leeroy suddenly springs to life and charges into the rookery with the shout "All right, chums, let's do this... LEEEEROOOOOOOOYYYYY JEEENNNNNKIINNSSSSSSSS!" (as if he were an announcer at a sporting event), showing total disregard for his guildmates' carefully laid raid plans.

Leeroy's actions are, as one might expect, disastrous. The others in the guild berate Leeroy for his foolishness which has led to their own deaths. Leeroy can be heard claiming, "It's not my fault!" but Leeroy's fellow guild members clearly are not buying his defense and continue their verbal barrage, whereupon Leeroy himself makes the declaration "At least I have chicken", an inside joke referring to his clan's apparent love of Kentucky Fried Chicken..

It should be noted that the "plans" his guildmates were making were absurd and relied on casting spells in a way that was impossible according to the game's mechanics. Also, the overall plan -- to activate all the enemies and fight them at once -- was terrible; as every high-level player of World of Warcraft knows, the dragon hatchlings in the Rookery are an optional engagement, and if the party does decide to fight them, it is much easier to do so a few at a time rather than all at once. This evidence suggests that the entire video was a work of comedy deriving its humor from the apparent bumbling cluelessness of the characters involved.

If one looks closely, one will notice that most of the characters in the video are using epic-level armor and weapons. Some are even wearing equipment obtained in an area of the dungeon after the Rookery. It is simply unlikely that the players involved would not have known how to handle the Rookery encounter while in possession of the advanced equipment they were using.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Having been through the event in that Leroy Jenkins video over 50 times myself, all I can say is that it's lost its appeal. You don't do anything like they were making it out to be in the video. It's fairly simple and not very hard. It's a room with dozens and dozens of eggs like in the movie Alien. The dude runs in and wakes up all of the eggs causing the whelps to hatch. The thing is a group of people would never think of waking up all of those little whelps. The whole thing was staged as I'm sure many know now, and it loses its humor value.

On a related I just got Foror's Eyepatch for my rogue last night at 3 freaking AM in the morning (and had to get up at 7:10 AM to goto work) and a damn druid and paladin wanted it too! Fellow WoW nerds will know of what I speak!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]
"we're gonna need divine intervention"

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Leeroy's origins
Leeroy Jenkins was originally invented by Kenny Phoenix, although many people steal credit for the invention. Leeroy first appears as a paladin in a video released by the World of Warcraft player guild Pals for Life. The video, which was apparently intended as a promotional video for that guild, starts with Leeroy away from his keyboard ("AFK") while the rest of his guild is meticulously planning a raid on the rookery in an area known as Upper Blackrock Spire. Leeroy's guildmates are carefully discussing their strategy and likelihood for survival when Leeroy suddenly springs to life and charges into the rookery with the shout "All right, chums, let's do this... LEEEEROOOOOOOOYYYYY JEEENNNNNKIINNSSSSSSSS!" (as if he were an announcer at a sporting event), showing total disregard for his guildmates' carefully laid raid plans.

Leeroy's actions are, as one might expect, disastrous. The others in the guild berate Leeroy for his foolishness which has led to their own deaths. Leeroy can be heard claiming, "It's not my fault!" but Leeroy's fellow guild members clearly are not buying his defense and continue their verbal barrage, whereupon Leeroy himself makes the declaration "At least I have chicken", an inside joke referring to his clan's apparent love of Kentucky Fried Chicken..

It should be noted that the "plans" his guildmates were making were absurd and relied on casting spells in a way that was impossible according to the game's mechanics. Also, the overall plan -- to activate all the enemies and fight them at once -- was terrible; as every high-level player of World of Warcraft knows, the dragon hatchlings in the Rookery are an optional engagement, and if the party does decide to fight them, it is much easier to do so a few at a time rather than all at once. This evidence suggests that the entire video was a work of comedy deriving its humor from the apparent bumbling cluelessness of the characters involved.

If one looks closely, one will notice that most of the characters in the video are using epic-level armor and weapons. Some are even wearing equipment obtained in an area of the dungeon after the Rookery. It is simply unlikely that the players involved would not have known how to handle the Rookery encounter while in possession of the advanced equipment they were using.

OK, so it's a nerd thing. I see.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Contrived or not, the epic tale of Leroy Jenkins is firmly ensconced in what Carl Yung called the "universal mind".  Hence, he has now become a cultural icon worthy of worship and emulation.

Were I to sire three male offspring, I would name each "Leroy".  Were I to sire three female offspring, I would still name each "Leroy".

There is, as best as I recall, still room on Mt. Rushmore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Leeroy Jenkins played on my server back when I played.  He was alliance and I was horde, so I never got to play with him.  His guild was a bunch of assholes though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I play WoW.  A lot.

And the whole Leroy thing got real old, real fast, a LONG time ago.

So is WoW a one time pay thing or is it a monthly thing?? I was thinking of picking it up..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never played WoW and don't even know anything about it.

I just like the idea of putting someone new on Mt. Rushmore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I play WoW.  A lot.

So is WoW a one time pay thing or is it a monthly thing?? I was thinking of picking it up..

I hope you have plenty of time to spare...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#25]
/Sigh  

My husband "defected" to WoW upon its release. I, however, stayed with EverQuest aka EverCrack. (Not EQ2 mind you!)
I think WoW is cool, but I have 4 years spent on my lovely druidess. I just couldn't think of laying all of that down and "starting" over again. :)

Maybe one of these days....maybe not.

SemperWife
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I play WoW.  A lot.

Monthly.  The cost depends on how long you sign up for.

I beg you not to play.

It's called Warcrack for a reason.  I had a dream about it last night even.  

So you have to buy the game at $49 and then pay a monthly fee on top of that?? Man that is just like crack...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#27]
My brother goes to DeVry University in Fremont.  Computer geek Mecca, basically.  What other college can you go to where everyone's a nerd and you have your own cleaning crew?

Anyway, the last couple times I visited him I discovered that the dorms are pretty much divided: Counterstrike, and World of Warcraft.  You play one or the other, but you never play both.  They avoid each other for the most part; some weird geek rivalry thing.  Fascinating, really.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My brother goes to DeVry University in Fremont.  Computer geek Mecca, basically.  What other college can you go to where everyone's a nerd and you have your own cleaning crew?

Anyway, the last couple times I visited him I discovered that the dorms are pretty much divided: Counterstrike, and World of Warcraft.  You play one or the other, but you never play both.  They avoid each other for the most part; some weird geek rivalry thing.  Fascinating, really.

Now that's just lame, but then again, arfcommers just have to GET BOTH
My hunter would be over level 40 by now if I could pull myself away from BF2
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#29]
thats my new battle cry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
/Sigh  

My husband "defected" to WoW upon its release. I, however, stayed with EverQuest aka EverCrack. (Not EQ2 mind you!)
I think WoW is cool, but I have 4 years spent on my lovely druidess. I just couldn't think of laying all of that down and "starting" over again. :)

Maybe one of these days....maybe not.

SemperWife

I played Everquest for about 4 years and quit cold turkey. Never had any desire to go back. I WoW came out about a year and a half after I quit EQ and I've been playing it ever since.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]
After finding out it was a set up it lost its appeal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#32]
MY SIG LINE SAYS IT ALL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
MY SIG LINE SAYS IT ALL

He said guns up?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Nerds are everywhere!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having been through the event in that Leroy Jenkins video over 50 times myself, all I can say is that it's lost its appeal. You don't do anything like they were making it out to be in the video. It's fairly simple and not very hard. It's a room with dozens and dozens of eggs like in the movie Alien. The dude runs in and wakes up all of the eggs causing the whelps to hatch. The thing is a group of people would never think of waking up all of those little whelps. The whole thing was staged as I'm sure many know now, and it loses its humor value.

On a related I just got Foror's Eyepatch for my rogue last night at 3 freaking AM in the morning (and had to get up at 7:10 AM to goto work) and a damn druid and paladin wanted it too! Fellow WoW nerds will know of what I speak!

i like to see alien talking about the movie alien....

hee hee
:*

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MY SIG LINE SAYS IT ALL

He said guns up?

so I thought, what does he say right before, "lets do this"

also, set up?

I thought someone said he was away from the game and he just came back and he thought people were waiting for him?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nerds are everywhere!

Yeah, but if the bridesmaids are wearing metal bikinis I think I could go along with that.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MY SIG LINE SAYS IT ALL

He said guns up?

so I thought, what does he say right before, "lets do this"

also, set up?

I thought someone said he was away from the game and he just came back and he thought people were waiting for him?

The whole things was a set up anyway. All planned.

I think the mics echoed alot  and made his comment confusing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Unrelated but related...

Because of the Sony roleback on Dec. 18, they are giving server wide double xp from 10am server time Sat Jan 21 through 10am Mon server time.

Go Get Some!

Shan
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Is EQ love.

Highest attainable level is 70. :)

My drood is 1/4 into 66...she's gonna be 70 by tomorrow night with the veteran xp aa ability attached. 200% experience!!!!
WOOOOT!

:)

Shan
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that's just lame, but then again, arfcommers just have to GET BOTH
My hunter would be over level 40 by now if I could pull myself away from BF2

Heh... BF2 fer teh win!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top