Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 11:02:47 PM EDT
One that will not affect the aluminum or anodizing in any way, just remove CLP... I need to clean up my RR M16.. Not willing  to take any chances on anything that will damage finish..

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anodizing is pretty tough, you can use Dawn dishwashing liquid.  Anodizing is fairly resistant to chemicals, within reason. This is determined by the legnth of time that chemical stays in contact with the surface.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the day shift.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
dawn soap will strip every bit of oil off of that thing, or you could just do it the old fashioned way with lots of elbow grease and rags or paper towels
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bump for the day shift.

Dude.  Seriously.  Hot water and dish detergent. What more do you need? Ballistol and hot water, if that's not good enough.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for the day shift.

Dude.  Seriously.  Hot water and dish detergent. What more do you need? Ballistol and hot water, if that's not good enough.

its not expensive or "tactical" enough for his registered receiver
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for the day shift.

its not expensive or "tactical" enough for his registered receiver

Cmon man...Responses like the one you offered are exactly why I want more than one suggestion..I dont want to f- up a 11K gun..Waitin for some idiot to suggest Simple Green, which is horrible on aluminum..  I hardly think An A1 with no optics is tactical.

What would you do if YOU took a suggestion and fucked up a gun like that? I just want to be careful.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#10]
how about this:

I have personally used dawn, brake cleaner, and carb cleaner on uncle sam's M4s and M16s, it did them no harm, just keep the brake and carb cleaner off of the plastic.  or just clean it off with paper towels or rags and lots of elbow grease
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone elses gun... Not yours...I have one, and thats it..Not wanting to make a mess.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Someone elses gun... Not yours...I have one, and thats it..Not wanting to make a mess.

true, but if I broke it I would have had to pay for it.(a statement of charges is a bitch)  you'll be perfectly safe using dawn or other degreasers on it
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Just about any type of dish soap, hell just about any type of soap. Brake cleaner, Mpro-7, Hoppes Elite, Tide.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Like you said about 'simpe green' -- stay away from anything that may have caustic soot, carbon, or grease removers.  Also avoid any strong solvents which might dissolve dyes, such as carb cleaner, d-nat alchohol,  or thinners.  Dyes are used to tint anodize, and it can be quite porous.  

Best to stick with non-ammonia product like the mild dish soap mentioned above, or a little kerosene on a toothbrush & rag.  I'd use a little of my 'Homemade' gun solvent:  White kerosene with a dash of Coleman fuel and   transmission fluid.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always used rusty duck. It will turn the anodizing sort of white until you wipe it back down with CLP though. Soon as I do that though its always back to its normal color
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top