Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:43:53 AM EDT
When ever people mentions credit cards on here, 15 members respond right away and say never get them, there evil and will ruin your life.  What the hell is the deal with that.  I'm almost 20 and have had one since i am 18.  I've never carried a balance from month to month.  I always pay my bill on time.  I basically charge all my purchuses sinces its easier then carrying cash.  Since i run my own business, i sometimes have 6-8k credit card bills.  But i always pay them on time.  I don't ever run into proablems because i don't buy stupid shit i don't need.

How in the world can adult with college educations, with decent jobs not be responsible to handle a credit card?  What the hell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, who was trained in how to use them?  Seriously.

As a society, and as families, we don't do much to teach people how to handle money, credit, etc....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
BECAUSE I NEED MORE RECEIVERS!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
No no no. The Arfcom consensus is that credit cards are evil and must be destroyed. Nobody is iresponsible, its the cards fault.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I think most people can and do.....you only hear about the ones who can't.

Judging from the credit scores posted by the Team members of ARFCOM........everyone here does quite well managing their finances.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
how can't I use propper grammer......

seriously, credit cards are the same as checks, it's free money man, buy now pay maybe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Most people use cards to buy things they don't need and can't afford.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Some people are just weaker than other people.  They don't have the self control to keep themselves from digging a massive hole.

The average credit card debt for a person is something like $8,000.  That is outrageous.

I've had credit cards since I was 16 (under my parents).  I use my card all the time, yet I can't remember the last time I carried a balance for more than 1 month (and typically, there is never a balance).

EDITED TO ADD:  No, my parents didn't pay the card balances at all.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
It's called denial and lack of willingness for delayed gratification.

Part of the reason the rich/wealthy are in the minority is many peeps do not have fiscal discipline.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
i amagine families, babies holidays all take its toll on fathers who do not want to let their families down.

I have never had any financial problems I am only 22 but have saved up quite a pile of cash while paying my way through college and working.

Although I am not driving a new escalade (insert stupid MTV vehical) and putting myself in the red for cool stuff to prove myself... Except guns
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No no no. The Arfcom consensus is that credit cards are evil and must be destroyed. Nobody is iresponsible, its the cards fault.

Oooooo..ZING!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't buy guns.  My credit card buys guns.  

There's nothing wrong with credit cards if you use them responsibly.  However, it's easy for someone to think to themselves "Well, I'd like to go on that ski trip.  I can't afford it now, but if I paid it off over 4 months, I'd really only be paying $35 in interest, so I'll go ahead and book it, and then I'll pay it off over the summer."  And this logic works until 2 months later when you think "That's a great price on a new Remington.  I'd be an idiot not to buy that.  The savings I'm getting on this sale price more than makes up for the $40 in interest I'd pay if I paid it off over the next couple months."  The process snowballs very quickly.

I now carry no balance on my credit cards, but I've used them irresponsibly in the past.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Why can't most adults handle a credit card?  

You can be an adult and yet lack the maturity to say no to yourself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna apply for one tommorow as per my dads advice.  I really don't want one since, while I'm the greatest money saver when theres a fixed income, but if someone tells me "oh its alright, you can pay us back later" I will go hog fucking wild.  Expensive nights at the club, new shoes, going to restaurants, etc, etc.  Once my credit rating goes up, the card will be locked up in a safe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I lost my credit cards in a terrible boating accident.  However, Uncle Sam has decided to give me a government credit card.  Hopefully I'm responsible with this one.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Credit cards are an excellent tool to build credit and do business in the modern world.

I have no fear of them.  In fact, I welcome the challenge.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of you are too young to realize this, but there are millions upon millions of really stupid people.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't have a problem with them. I just pay them in full every month.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]

How can't most adults handle a credit card?  

For the same reason most adults have weight problems.  Lack of personal responsiibility.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It sounds like someone provided you with a great financial education.  Many people are not that lucky and they fail when faced with making financial decisions.

In my opinion, most of this stuff is common sense, but as my sig line says, "common sense is not common".

Keep doing the right thing and you will be rewarded financially.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#21]
the people that say cc companies are evil couldn't finance a can of coke.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#22]
There is just alot of stupid people out there
credit is good , nutrue it and protect it

FICO 805 here
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife and I have one credit card. The limit we have is enough to take care of any forseeable emergency we may have. I also have a large credit line available on a signature loan for some huge emergency. We occasionally carry a balance but normally pay it off completely every month. My wife was laid-off work in September and we have used it occasionally. She just got her CNA certification and starts her new job Tuesday at a state of the art nursing home that has amazing benefits and full tuition reimbursement so she can go back to school to go for the four year RN degree.  Before I met her I made a few finacial mistakes but got them all squared, I bought our first home at 28 with no help from a single person but her. We are doing well, I luckily learned from watching my older friends completely murder their own credit scores. I ddn't want to be them so I made sure to exercise some control. Now in the next few years when she does become an RN, it's time for something in the class 3 range, hopefully a FA AR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
i put my bushy on a credit card....i didn't have the cash, but I NEEDED it
eta-i'm usually more responsible than that, but i couldn't stop myself
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Now that's just not fair.  Sometimes clearly, IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top