Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 2:55:49 PM EDT
I moved into a new apartment last weekend since transfering to my current university.  Its a great place geared to law school and graduate students (not me) or in other words quiet.  Single person units, brick buildings 450 a month, wash dryer in each unit, fully stocked kitched appliances.

So today I timed my walk to campus.  Damn it took me twenty minutes more than I thought.  Straight line its only about a mile.  Road layout precludes a straight line route, but even then it took forever and I was all sweaty by the time I got to campus.  I simulated books with 50lb of weights in my back pack.  Between waiting to get across a couple of major streets (these people have obviously not oriented their town to people walking around it) and everything it took me nearly 40 minutes to get to the center of campus and I was sweating like a dog by then.  I figure my route is only 2 miles or maybe 2.5.

Obviously I would budget time to get to call if I had to walk, but would you guys do it?  My point is that I'd save money on driving and probably spend the same amount of time looking for a park spot.  Even then usually most parking places are pretty far from the buildings you need anyway so it kind of defeats the purpose.  I'm getting a parking sticker anyway, its only $30, for emergency use, but I don't know what to do about my daily routine.

Bikes are kind of out, I have to cross an over pass of a highway right at the top of the hill of my apartment, I just don't feel safe on the bike on the street with the traffic volumn, I'd rather be on the side walk.

What say you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a bike.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it for two years when I was an undergrad. It'd take a full 30 minutes to get to class. No other option, since there's no parking, there's no bus, and the Berkeley and UC PD like to harass students on bikes.

It'll get better as you get used to it. THe only concern is whether you're walking through dangerous territory to get to class.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
you'll find all sorts of great reasons to skip class.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Walking is good for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a bike.

big +1 there !
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, it used to take me 30 minutes to walk from the parking lot at the university to my first class, uphill all the way too, don't remember it being a problem or anything except on rainy or windy days.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
30 minutes?

Why, back when I was a kid we had to walk 20 miles to school; one way; fighting off bears and mountain lions all the way. And we didn't have guns either; we had rocks and clubs and . ......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
i walk 20 minutes to get from my dorm to my classes.  and that's a FAST walk.  you'll be fine.  throw an extra deodorant in your backpack if you get that sweaty, and check if it's really necessary to bring all those books (sometime's it's easier to just photocopy the relevant pages and bring only those)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The problem isnt the walk/distances its waiting to cross the major roads.  No lights, no cross walks.  I bet in rush hour I could stand there twenty minutes and not be able to get across.

I guess I'm just pissed that this ass backwards town can't build a freaking sidewalk or cross walk where it needs them, and builds half assed ones where no one uses them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, that does suck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The name Lone Pathfinder brings to mind an image of someone walking in the woods. Yet you seem to have an aversion to that form of transportation. Oh the irony, the irony.

A half hour walk is not that big of a deal. It'll get you in good shape and make you healthy. Think of the positive side of the situation. Get some good LPCs(Leather Personel Carriers)(aka:shoes) and enjoy great outdoors.

I walk about twenty minutes a day from my parking spot at college. I really enjoy it. Yes even when it's cold. I like that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
When I went to USC (south carolina) I walked 30 minutes to school, it wasn't that big of a deal. It was a pretty good hike to all my classes as well. It made it easier to study. I worked on campus so I had a place to stash my books and stuff. Later on I had to drive to school and that was a lot more trouble.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldnt do it. But then again, I just shelled out $230 for a 1 semester garage RFID permit. 10 minutes drive, 7 minute walk to my first class.  
$30 for a campus permit is rediculously cheap. Down here the cheapest on campus permit is $235 (2 semesters), and they are hard as hell to get 2nd semester.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I do it. More than once a day. It's about 1.75 miles one way for me, I do it in a bit under 30 minutes. Then when class is over I go back home. And on some days I have a large gap between classes, so we are talking up to 2 or 3 round trips.

Keep doing it and it gets easier, you start recognizing landmarks and everything becomes "I'm almost there!".

I guess it can be murder in hot weather, but who cares about looking good in class, smell like sweat and keep other assholes from sitting next to you. Unfortunately for me, I don't get so sweaty that I smell from the walk.

I save $380 per semester by doing this instead of taking the subway. When there was the transit strike I walked the 5 miles to my woman's apartment in brooklyn no sweat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
only a mile? I run 4 times that amount every day.

And it don't take me 30 minutes either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]

I walked 30 minutes to school every day when I was in first and second grade.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Caving to the wisdom of AFRCOM and sticking with walking.

I really do NOT trust the drivers around here to NOT hit me on a bike.

I walked in my first few years at college (not this one) and it was fine, probably the same distance, this walk just sucks tho.  Bad places to walk, no sidewalks in a lot of places and crossing dangerous intersections.  Much more stressful.  Maybe thats why I was sweating so much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.vespamiami.com/i/vespa_h1.jpg

Dude with a rifle sadle holster that might be cool

MS law states that you can have a gun in your vehicle even on campus since your vehicle is private property
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a bike.

big +1 there !

And a helmet and ride on the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
30 minutes?

Why, back when I was a kid we had to walk 20 miles to school; one way uphill both ways, in 10 feet of snow, even in August; fighting off mutant ninja bears and mountain lions all the way.. And we didn't have guns either; we had rocks and clubs until my brother invented the spear, and I invented fire, and then we put them together. ......

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I wouldnt do it. But then again, I just shelled out $230 for a 1 semester garage RFID permit. 10 minutes drive, 7 minute walk to my first class.  
$30 for a campus permit is rediculously cheap. Down here the cheapest on campus permit is $235 (2 semesters), and they are hard as hell to get 2nd semester.

ASU,UofA,or NAU?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]
i'm a senior this year in college.  this past semester i saw more bikes on campus than ever before for those living off campus in apartments/houses.  with higher gas prices, it only makes sense.  i'd rather ride and get there in 5 minutes than walk any day.  i'd definitely get a bike.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I walked a mile to elementry school. That was in Massachusetts, a lot colder and crappier than Mississipi.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to the other USC, the real one and if you lived 30 minute walk off campus you were dead.  Not the best neighborhood there anymore..

Healthwise it's probably good for building up a studly body.  Walking home after a kegger might not be too good, but probably better than driving after a kegger.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a bike.

big +1 there !

And a helmet and ride on the sidewalk.

Ride it most of the way, and walk it across the bridge if you have to.  I was about a 30 min walk from campus when I went to school, and I would bike it unless it was raining.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Vespa.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Bike or scooter. You can still hoof it if you have to.

Holy shit. Just looked at the Honda site and they want outrageous amounts of cash for a freakin' scooter. Either get a used one or a $50 bike and a lock. Fancy bikes are not worth it on campus, they're a high theft item.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:31:45 AM EDT
[#31]
A SEGWAY comes to mind.    Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#32]
There's no bus service at your school?  I'd do that and save the 30 minute walk.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Big +1 on what Oslow said LOL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd say it's acceptable, but probably on the outer edge of acceptability.  I say that because I did it for five years.  I say walk.  

When I lived in South Street (in Philly) I walked to work every day.  30 mins door to door.  It's not a bad commute considering what most people go through in terms of taking the train or driving.  It's not that strenuous and 60 mins of light walking can help burn some calories too.

The only time it sucks is when it's cold or rainy.  It gets cold here in Pennsylvania!  Buy a good umbrella (i.e. not one of those cheap-o $5 compact ones) and good outerwear if you live in an area that experiences extreme temperatures.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep, too damn much time wasted.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I walked 30 minutes to school every day when I was in first and second grade in wooden shoes.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I wish I was within a 30 minute walk to work. I'd much rather walk than drive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Get the bike anyway.  If someone hits you and breaks your leg, the rest of your education is free.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I rode my mountain bike every day rain, snow what ever, I rode to class for the last three years of college.  I wish I could ride to work now, it made me love riding. Sure I might be a wet and a ltittle dirty from tire spray and stuff, but who cares I was there on time and it was way faster than walking, pluse I was making 4 trips a day sometimes it was about 2 miles each way, so I got alot of extra exercise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Get  a bike - walk it across the road if you are scared.

WTH do you need our advise anyway?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.vespamiami.com/i/vespa_h1.jpg

Dude with a rifle sadle holster that might be cool

MS law states that you can have a gun in your vehicle even on campus since your vehicle is private property

that as long as you are not a student, i.e a parent picking up a kid, etc.  If you are a student, its a no no, where are you?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I did it for 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Isn't there public transit?  Take the bus.  I can't believe it takes 30 minutes to walk a mile.  Buy a podemeter.  Patty
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like you live on Access road at the Lamar blvd. exit in Oxford, MS. Am I right?

Quoted:
I moved into a new apartment last weekend since transfering to my current university.  Its a great place geared to law school and graduate students (not me) or in other words quiet.  Single person units, brick buildings 450 a month, wash dryer in each unit, fully stocked kitched appliances.

So today I timed my walk to campus.  Damn it took me twenty minutes more than I thought.  Straight line its only about a mile.  Road layout precludes a straight line route, but even then it took forever and I was all sweaty by the time I got to campus.  I simulated books with 50lb of weights in my back pack.  Between waiting to get across a couple of major streets (these people have obviously not oriented their town to people walking around it) and everything it took me nearly 40 minutes to get to the center of campus and I was sweating like a dog by then.  I figure my route is only 2 miles or maybe 2.5.

Obviously I would budget time to get to call if I had to walk, but would you guys do it?  My point is that I'd save money on driving and probably spend the same amount of time looking for a park spot.  Even then usually most parking places are pretty far from the buildings you need anyway so it kind of defeats the purpose.  I'm getting a parking sticker anyway, its only $30, for emergency use, but I don't know what to do about my daily routine.

Bikes are kind of out, I have to cross an over pass of a highway right at the top of the hill of my apartment, I just don't feel safe on the bike on the street with the traffic volumn, I'd rather be on the side walk.

What say you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top