Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 5:59:58 AM EDT
Got a great old pal who is dying of cancer. He was in VN ... before we were in VN ...

He has a lot of guns but always wanted a .357 mag.

Found him a nice 686 at the gun show. Took him, his daughter and son-in-law to the range.

His daughter and son-in-law (Canadian) are EXTREME left wing liberals. Never fired a weapon in their lives.

Anti-Bush, anti-war, anti-gun ... but very nice and very well traveled people. Grew up with the daughter here in Texas but she and I went different ways.

She runs a day care in upper class Austin ... I am a SWAT cop here in the hood.

So we go to the range. My pal gave the son-in-law an old RG .22 he had because the daughter is a business woman now, travels extensively and even they realize that the world is getting scarier every day.

So I teach he and his wife the basics from the 3-7 yrd. line and they do really well with the little .22. Nice round groups.

We moved up to a .32 PPK and then the .357. with .38s and then some hot .357 loads that Old Painless gave me. They had a friggin' blast.

After we had shot a while, I set the hook.

I asked "Hey are we hurting anyone out here shooting this 12 foot high bank of dirt?" ... they said no.

I asked "Do you guys plan to go shoot up a restaraunt full of people when we leave" ... they said no.

I asked if "It was right for someone to come and take their little pistol from them" ... they said no we weren't hurting anyone.

I asked "If the little pistol punched those holes in the paper by itself or was that facilitated by the person wielding the gun" ... they said the person.

I asked "If a criminal was going to obtain a gun if he wished ... no matter what the laws stated" ... they said Of course ...

I said ... Welcome to the NRA.

They just stood there with their mouths open.

So son-in-law says ... Yeah but it is not like we are shooting assault rifles and stuff ... what use does anyone have for one of those things? I said "If you think that little pistol is fun to shoot ... you would absolutely LOVE an AR or AK."

I asked if they wanted shoot my weapons next trip and they said "Hell yeah!"

I then told them "I have a lot of friends that shoot assault rifles who are NOT policemen and they would never dream of harming anyone with them unless it was in self-defense of their own life or that of an innocent third party. JUST LIKE YOU GUYS ... so who are YOU to tell THEM that THEY CANNOT have them?

I then asked them if the politicians in this country and Canada would benefit from a little range session like theirs and they immediately agreed (nodding) ... lol

I then asked son-in-law (70s era guy like me) if he remembered the old Skynyrd song "Saturday Night Special". Musical type ... he says "Oh yeah sure ... GREAT song.

He was holding the RG and I said "Well that is exactly what you have in your hand and what you and your lovely wife have been having so much fun shooting for the last hour and a half ..."

Again mouth open but a big slow nod of acknowledgement.

Fish in a barrel dudes ...

I then told him that the founding fathers of our country were incredibly bright and insightful people and for him to enjoy the rights afforded him as he visited here; while our (and his) countrymen were fighting and dying to preserve those same rights in some third world shithole.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

BK
Support the Troops
AmericanSnipers.org

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I love to hear that stuff.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Hope you kept a sharp eye on the VN vet!

I hear they're all a bunch of druggie whackos.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]

...an old RG .22...

Yup, got one of those also. Sure are fun!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahhhh ... target model. Nice
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent!

Good job of prying their eyes open.  You took the gun issue from the theoretical into the practical.

Nothing like a good dose of reality!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job .

Max
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice job

+1...... +1 = +2 = Great job!

I clicked on this thread somewhat nervously.  Thought it might be like something from Con Air:

"Two go down, one comes up."

Or, in this case: "Four go to the range, two come back."

BTW, see my sigline.  If they have email, once you feel they're ready, send 'em a link to one of the Flashbunny movies here.

Judging from your post, one of these two might be good to start with:

1) Better off dead (in the vein of your "even they realize that the world is getting scarier every day" comment)

2) The Gunshow Loophole (in the vein of your NRA comments, and their receptiveness)

Thank you for your service, both as a LEO, and as a patriot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent!

We have converts in the making!

Now, seal the deal and break out the AR to set the hook and reel em in!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That about sums it up!

Nice work!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
A BIG +1
WE NEED MORE OF THIS!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
THAT is a GREAT STORY!

Very nice job!

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Good shit right there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]
well done.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#15]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Good job! I love stories like these.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks fellas. Fun day ...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Great job!

CRC
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#19]
A big for your work!

I *do* have one comment...

I then asked them if the politicians in this country and Canada would benefit from a little range session like theirs and they immediately agreed (nodding) ... lol

This is where the sheeple don't get it.  The pols don't give a rats ass about laws because they know for the most part they fall into a "protected class", there are enough loopholes in the laws THEY WRITE to CYA and they will always have "friend in high places" to watch out for them.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Can you say booger eater? ... I knew you could.

Schumer is such a dork.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
VERY nice work. The fact that you're SWAT helped our cause tremendously, I'm sure. It's one thing if I say it, it's another when a police officer says it (in the minds of the sheeple). When I take libs to the range, I'd LOVE to have an LEO with me. I always knew it would be effective.

It works both ways. An LEO demonstrating the "destructive power" of a "weapon of war" on television sways the populace just as effectively. I guarantee you though - those libs you took shooting will now see that same video and say "That guy in an ass".
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A big for your work!

I *do* have one comment...

This is where the sheeple don't get it.  The pols don't give a rats ass about laws because they know for the most part they fall into a "protected class", there are enough loopholes in the laws THEY WRITE to CYA and they will always have "friend in high places" to watch out for them.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/schumer.jpg

Where'd you get that Schumer pic?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
VERY nice work. The fact that you're SWAT helped our cause tremendously, I'm sure. It's one thing if I say it, it's another when a police officer says it (in the minds of the sheeple). When I take libs to the range, I'd LOVE to have an LEO with me. I always knew it would be effective.

It works both ways. An LEO demonstrating the "destructive power" of a "weapon of war" on television sways the populace just as effectively. I guarantee you though - those libs you took shooting will now see that same video and say "That guy in an ass".

If only that worked on all people...........

www.2ampd.net/Articles/Pyle/truth.htm

Great video, BTW, and further proof that there are some very pro-RKBA and/or pro-2A police officers out there.

(I just wish they were more vocal, even vocal enough to silence the noisy brass band from the blue unions).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Excellent!

Good job of prying their eyes open.  You took the gun issue from the theoretical into the practical.

Nothing like a good dose of reality!

Technically back into the theoretical FROM the practical- he suckered them by letting them have a ton of fun and then blindsided them with logic.

brianksain, Salut! This story does my heart good.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Good Lord....a 'peace officer' corrupting the morals of a pair of liberal gun haters....
Well Done, Old Son!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That about sums it up!

Nice work!

+1.

Good job! I love reading these stories!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Good on you brianksain

Keep up the good work

GM
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey they are good folks ... very worldly (they have lived all over it)  but just naive about the world.

Know what I mean?

Didn't want to get too carried away but I showed them just a taste of the difference between target shooting and fighting with a gun.

They were totally amazed at the distances and short time frames a gunfight actually occurs at.

Too much TV I guess ...

It was a reciprocal day however. Canadian is a physical therapist and told me more about my upcoming shoulder surgery than my surgeon has ...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#30]
More importantly, did your buddy enjoy himself?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
awsome work! keep spreading the truth!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
More importantly, did your buddy enjoy himself?

He fired six rounds total.

Had to help him hold the pistol up.

Seemed more concerned that his daughter and son-in-law were getting some decent instruction.

Taking care of his business before he bails ...

Went and ate Mexican food afterwards.

Good day for all.

EDIT:

Took him to Ft. Benning a year or so ago. He hadn't been there since '62. The same year I was born and the year he went to Nam. He was pissed that they had buses to carry the troops around. He said he ran EVERYWHERE he went when he was there ... lol

Was in MAAG ... forerunner of MACV.

Helped set up the comms stations all over the country before the war. Salty old fart.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent job showing the Libs. the real world.
Sounds like your friend being the old salty dog knew you would handle the situation. It is great the hear of cross generation friendship you have. The old salt knows he don't have much time left. I salute him and his service. And to you sir you are being more than a friend. Thank you.
When I was a LEO in a small town, I had a resident. A fellow in his 80's was in WWI as a German sniper, long story short he be came a engineer traveled the world. His kids lived other places, I would stop to check on him and drink coffee. He always wanted a "cowboy" six shooter. I found a little .22 ruger from a buddy on the force. You would have thought I just sved his only child, he broke down and crying. He went to his closet and he still had his Mauser with the biggest old scope I had ever seen. He tried to give it to me but I was able to convince him that he knew better how take care of it. I used to stop by and we would shoot cans off the back porch. I sure do miss HANS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Old VN pal passed Sunday.

Take 'em care babe.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Old VN pal passed Sunday.

Take 'em care babe.

RIP
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top