Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:15:53 PM EDT
Does anyone know if T-37's have a siren or some kind of warning alarm on them? I videotaped a T-37 flying around my house a few years ago the pilot had radioed the tower and declared an emergency,  as it passed over you can here a screeching siren type sound.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That was the engine. Maybe the airport had the siren going.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
let me be the first to say that it was probably the instructor screaming.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the airframe and powerplant - this is why they are nicknamed "Tweet", they whistle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That was the engine. Maybe the airport had the siren going.

Damn loud siren, I was about 3 miles south of base.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
That airplane turns fuel into noise... really really earpiercing loud noise.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's the airframe and powerplant - this is why they are nicknamed "Tweet", they whistle.

I am familiar with the sound of them since I lived under their flight path for 20+ years, this was completely different, almost as loud as the engine. Maybe something was coming apart in the engine and making that sound. Is that possible?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with the sound of them since I lived under their flight path for 20+ years, this was completely different, almost as loud as the engine. Maybe something was coming apart in the engine and making that sound. Is that possible?

I suppose the engine was about to become clabbered.  Dry bearings, failed bearings, and a fod'd engine (resulting in failed bearings?) will make that sound.

The airframe makes a bunch of noise on its own, maybe it was closer than usual.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The distinct noise made by the tweet is actually a flange inside the engine, Contienental said that they could mill the flange down to get rid of the noise for very little $$$, however the AF in their beuracracy decided against it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about T-37's but F-4's make a hell of a racket.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Audible warnings are typically accompanied by a warning light. Like you might get a fire alarm bell along with an engine fire light. The pilot would press a button to silence the bell but the light would stay on. They don't fly around with warning bells or sirens going off so what you heard was likely abnormal engine noise. Cockpit audibles aren't likely to be heard on the ground anyway.

Aren't likely?   More like, "No way on God's green earth would cockpit audibles be heard on the ground"  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
i have extensive flight experience in the T-37  (2.4 whole hours) and i will say it was the noisiest aircraft i have ever experienced. much the same way the SAW is compared to the M16. same round but that high pitched "ping" sound of the saw is almost unbearable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.indyairshow.com/pix/attractions/dragonfly2005-web.jpg

Not a T-37 there, but an A-37.  Here's a captured one with ord tubes.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The engines on a T-37 are centrifugal flow noise generators.  They convert jet fuel into high pitch/high decibel sound, and produce a little thrust as a by-product.

It's because of the airflow in the engine.  It's much louder than a larger axial-flow engine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
You heard the rare T-37 PulseJet

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top