Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
I know I rarely post in the General Discussion forum, but I frequent AR15.com everyday and this is one of the few places I can trust when it comes to self defense. I tried using Google, Yahoo, Altavista, etc but can't come up with anything that states particularlly what is legal and what is not in London.

My fiancee is going to London for 6 months for school. I wish I could go with, but I can't. I want to get her something she can put in her purse or pocket and have with her at all times in case she needs it. The first thing that comes to mind is something like Fox Spray, but I don't know if I could buy it here and legally mail it to her.

Does anyone know, or know where I can find out, what would be legal for her to own and use in London? Not sure if the fact that she is a US citizen in London would change anything (I doubt it) but it is something to keep in mind.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
shovels and cricket bats, but only during times of zombie outbreaks
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to go out on a limb here and say - there are no lawful forms of self defense in London (you will be considered a vigilante, and your "victim" can sue you)

(sorry, but that is probably the truth, and that is one reason why I will never step foot on that POS island......they are a society of obedient victims!)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try the UK Hometown Forum...good bunch of guys, and they LIVE there, too!

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=5

that has got to be the dumbest idea ever
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet the guys in the UK Hometown forum could answer this.

Edit: Beaten by ikor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say - there are no lawful forms of self defense in London (you will be considered a vigilante, and your "victim" can sue you)

(sorry, but that is probably the truth, and that is one reason why I will never step foot on that POS island......they are a society of obedient victims!)

That is my worry. I know guns are totally out of the question there, and I would assume so melee style weapons like batons or pocket knives; and I would further assume tasers and the like are also out. Some form of spray seemed like the best bet, but I can't find anything in regards to it to say what is legal and what isn't (aside from news reports saying "strictest gun control laws" I can't even find anything about their gun laws).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try the UK Hometown Forum...good bunch of guys, and they LIVE there, too!

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=5

Thank you, I will definitely do that.

I didn't even know there was a UK forum
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Whenever you go out buy a magazine or a newspaper roll it up Even thats probably considered a weapon. I go with the ..go to the UK forum they live there
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Sprays (OC, or whatever) I know are illegal in the UK.

I think it's illegal there to carry anything you intend to use against another person (even if for self-defense).  A knife of significant size would probably get you into trouble unless you carried it for use at work or something.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well formed arguments.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Try the snivel defense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#12]
from what I have been told by coworkers who have moved here from there - even using your hands in self defense is considered vigilantism....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
British Legal self-defense:

1. Run, crying.

2. Try not to be in the wrong place/wrong time.

3. Blame it on soccer match.

4. Get beaten up, but claim you're into that sort of thing.

5. Move to a free country.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Harsh words.  But don't point, its rude and a misdemeanor offence.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Carry a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste. It seems everyone in the UK is scared shiteless of 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top