Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
I ran ten miles off and on last year (I ran seven or eight miles pretty consistently). I'm thinking about cranking it up to the next level this year. I figure if I push it and end up attempting a marathon, I'd better study it out and actually figure out a smart training schedule (last year it was just run when I felt like it). Any advice? Any thing you did wrong that you can help me avoid? Diet, nutrition, training, water bottles, watches, clothes, heart monitors. Any info about anything would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone else thinking about attempting some long-distance runs this year? We can chronicle our highs and suffering together here. <---my tough self before a run. <---the way I usually look afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
start at one end and stop at the finish

Seriously I would have loved to try a marathon, but my knees are shot now. Bikes for me now..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
start at one end and stop at the finish

Seriously I would have loved to try a marathon, but my knees are shot now. Bikes for me now..

I have a buddy who is a serious biker. Some of the training techniques that he uses seem like they'd work pretty good for running too. He told me to go get a heart monitor and start training based on my maximum heart rate. He also recommended a nutrition book by Chris Carmikel (sp?). Food for Fitness...or something like that. Half the fun or attempting some long runs will be learning about this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
how about dont?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Get use to throwing up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Find the most specialized running shoe store in your area; they will probably be one of the sponsors for all the running races in your neck of the woods. Stop by the shop, chat 'em up, buy a good pair of shoes if yours are worn out.  Tell them what you are planning and ask if they have a program that will take a runner of your level through a full marathon. Follow a good program that's based on a mileage base, rest days, and a long run once a week. Listen to your body/feet. (watch for injuries) People who follow programs with a bit of flexibility have a strong probability of finishing. If a running partner helps ... get one, but make sure they are as committed as you. Good luck.  FWIW, I never did a full one, never had enough hours to train but when I was doing 4-6 miles 5-6 times a week I ran 13.3 non-stop one night to answer my own question that I could. You can do one.    Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Train well in advance.  I ran one after a cross country season and three weeks of additional training; ended up with some torn muscles in my left quad.  The shoe adivce is good.  But biking uses different muscles than running, so that will actually be to your detrement.   If you can, find an experienced marathon runner to help you train and answer questions.  I did a plan that called for runs 3x weekly and it worked well.  

Most plans will have you run at most 20 miles at a time.  The last 6 of the marathon will be hard because you're probably never run farther and they just plain hurt.  

Like was said, listen to your body.

Happy training and good luck.

ETA: You might want to start by competing in a half marathon before the real deal.  Also, when you're picking a race to do, take into consideration hills, climate, conditions, etc.  Some will even say that they are or aren't good for first-timers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
most areas have running clubs, and they usually have training programs/groups (of varying levels) for marathons. You'll typically do 3 runs per week on your own and one long run on the weekend with the group.

Look at the calendar....find a 10k and a half marathon to run before the marathon. It's good to have intermediate goals that involve actually participanting in an event.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Start working up your endurance.  Cool Runnings have some good tips.  I walk the water line(IE water and some of the power pudding.) and run the rest of the race.

It'll be fun.

Max
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
buy a golf cart
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Little Chocolate Donuts.

Worked for John Belushi anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top