Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:27:14 PM EDT
You know, commie wannabe tom morrello, formerly of Rage Against The Machine (that makes me rich, suckers).

Every damn song I hear he resorts to a lame guitar solo with wah or some other sort of modulation. Can this hippie liberal douche play a real guitar solo that stands on its own without having to resort to sonic spackle every damn time?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe he's got a fever.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
for more wah-bell??
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
for more wah-bell??

BWAH HAHAHAHAHahahahhahahhhhhhh
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that Chris Cornell has him on a short leash. I have thought the same thing about the 2 Audioslave albums, and I like Soundgarden and RATM. Definitely not some of the shit that you hear of the first Soundgarden album though
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I like his playing.  You don't have to listen to it if you don't want to.  This is America you know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess I like his playing.  You don't have to listen to it if you don't want to.  This is America you know.

Thanks foradding to the conversation. I've never heard the argument of "this is america" and "you don't have to listen if you don't want to" before.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know, commie wannabe tom morrello, formerly of Rage Against The Machine (that makes me rich, suckers).

Every damn song I hear he resorts to a lame guitar solo with wah or some other sort of modulation. Can this hippie liberal douche play a real guitar solo that stands on its own without having to resort to sonic spackle every damn time?

You obviously haven't heard #1 Zero.  If you've heard it and still think the same thing, you're not even qualified to listen to Hillary Duff. Seriously.

bd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously haven't heard #1 Zero.  If you've heard it and still think the same thing, you're not even qualified to listen to Hillary Duff. Seriously.

bd

Nope. Dont buy their albums because I don't like to support a dipshit communist like morello.

Too bad cornell didn't hook up with the guys from alice in chains instead. Better guitarist and songwriter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Tom Morello is the the most over-rated guitarist of all time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bd

Nope. Dont buy their albums because I don't like to support a dipshit communist like morello.

Too bad cornell didn't hook up with the guys from alice in chains instead. Better guitarist and songwriter.

Good lord man!  Comparing Cantrell to Morello is like comparing Elisha Cuthburt to fucking Oprah
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
How does one be a commie and a millionaire at the same time?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You may be forgetting about the guy from the white stripes.

What was he on the 'best guitarists of all time' list? Whatever it was, it was too high, because jack white doesn't belong there at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bd

If you haven't heard the songs, where's the basis for criticism? Just what they play on the radio? So you're one of the blissfully ignorant sheep who just accept that there's nothing more...Sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not true, I am.

I mean, I rank really low, but I'm not even deserving of that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

hypocrisy.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

mayhap he is a talibani and they have him sequestered somewheres and they keep playing the song over and over to drive him crazy but they also gave him a laptop wherein he could contact osama and they would see that with a keystorke capturer but instead he is postiing of arfcom...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was he on the 'best guitarists of all time' list? Whatever it was, it was too high, because jack white doesn't belong there at all.

I said one of, not the
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

inheritance...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I think System of a Down sucks way more ass than any other band on the planet. Audioslave isnt all that bad..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bd

If you haven't heard the songs, where's the basis for criticism? Just what they play on the radio? So you're one of the blissfully ignorant sheep who just accept that there's nothing more...Sounds familiar.

Wow, great extrapolation.

I get it from every song I've heard on the radio and my memories of RATM songs, where he did the same damn thing.

He's not that good of a guitarist. Sorry if he's "your boy", but he's just not that good. He covers up for lack of originality and skill with overuse of modulation effects.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think System of a Down sucks way more ass than any other band on the planet. Audioslave isnt all that bad..

audioslave isn't that bad, but only because of chris cornell. He's a great singer and songwriter, and the only reason the RATM guys aren't working at mcdonald's right now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Number one Zero is the best song on that CD, but that CD didn't exactly break alot of new ground. It sounds good because Rick Rubin made it sound good, but about 80 percent of the guitar work on that album is just simple and predictable. I still bought the CD, and listen to it often, but it isn't the shizz I was hoping it would be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys need to listen to some REAL guitarists...

Hendrix
SRV
Buddy Guy
Clapton
Brian Setzer ( What a powerhouse)
Jimmy Page
BB King

Way better than the current crap....Hell Id rather listen to Esteban ( Who can play too) than some of the shit on the radio..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said one of, not the

ok then - we're both right!

Morello is lame. His solos sound like something I could have done after about 2 or 3 years of playing guitar.

After I had drank a bottle of whiskey. Because I wouldn't play that bad sober.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Audioslave was a breath of fresh air to me when it came out. I'm no professional music critic, but I know what I like, and they make some good sounds. I was a huge Soundgarden fan after hearing Badmotorfinger for the first time back in the day. It's hard to top BMF.
I agree that AS has too much of a RATM sound because of all the wah wah pedal in it. It's a little distracting. I can barely listen to RATM without my ass twitching because of the commie/racist lyrics. Any reminder of a lead singer that thinks he's Che G is enough to dilute the sound of any album.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mayhap he is a talibani and they have him sequestered somewheres and they keep playing the song over and over to drive him crazy but they also gave him a laptop wherein he could contact osama and they would see that with a keystorke capturer but instead he is postiing of arfcom...

If that is the case then I understand his bitching.  But, if he is bitching about a band that he doesn't have to listen to, then that is like me bitching every time I slap myself in the nuts.  Guess what...  I don't have to slap myself in the nuts!  But I could start a thread bitching about it just to boost my post count.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Politics aside, Morello is a great guitar player.  The modulation and noise he plays is in addition to not instead of his great skills.  Think what you want of the songs, but the technical skills he shows on #1 Zero are nothing short of amazing. The reason I took exception to Bastiat's topic is that it's pretty easy to assume that Morello is one dimensional guitar wise (I thought the same thing).  Download, rip, steal or borrow #1 Zero and your mind will be changed if you have any appreciation of even the most basic skills of guitar playing.  If you don't get it, I can't help you.  Just like the thread on 2001 A Space Odyssey.  It will require some work on your part, if you don't get it then just acknowledge that you may be delving into an area far beyond your knowledge.

bd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is the case then I understand his bitching.  But, if he is bitching about a band that he doesn't have to listen to, then that is like me bitching every time I slap myself in the nuts.  Guess what...  I don't have to slap myself in the nuts!  But I could start a thread bitching about it just to boost my post count.

Guess what genius - it's a discussion board

People discuss things there.

Things they like.

Things they don't like.

I posted my observation on tom (no talent) morello to see if others agreed.

Looks like most do.

It also looks like you have crush on tom morello and can't fathom that someone would not heap praise on his meager guitar abilities.

Truth is the only reason audioslave is anywhere is because of the talents of chris cornell. He has the talent as a songwriter. He has the talent as a singer.  Hell, he carries them with his voice on the weaker songs.

The weak link is tom morrello. his solos are predictible and bland. When I hear a new song on the radio, I can tell where the solo is going to go before hand, because it's always the same damn thing.

Sorry if the truth upsets you, but he just isn't that great. Audioslave is good, but not because of tom morrello.

Hopefully Cornell will realize this one day and get rid of morello for jerry cantrell. Then the music will improve along with the guitar playing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Politics aside, Morello is a great guitar player.  The modulation and noise he plays is in addition to not instead of his great skills.  Think what you want of the songs, but the technical skills he shows on #1 Zero are nothing short of amazing. The reason I took exception to Bastiat's topic is that it's pretty easy to assume that Morello is one dimensional guitar wise (I thought the same thing).  Download, rip, steal or borrow #1 Zero and your mind will be changed if you have any appreciation of even the most basic skills of guitar playing.  If you don't get it, I can't help you.  Just like the thread on 2001 A Space Odyssey.  It will require some work on your part, if you don't get it then just acknowledge that you may be delving into an area far beyond your knowledge.

bd

I don't need lessons. I've been playing for 20 years. I can spot a hack when I hear one. No one magic song is going to redeem him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been playing for over twenty years as well. Listen to the song, it's not going to hurt that bad to be wrong.  You've got to admit you're at least interested.

bd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

bd

Is #1 Zero a band, album or song?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess what genius - it's a discussion board

People discuss things there.

Things they like.

Things they don't like.

I posted my observation on tom (no talent) morello to see if others agreed.

Looks like most do.

It also looks like you have crush on tom morello and can't fathom that someone would not heap praise on his meager guitar abilities.

Truth is the only reason audioslave is anywhere is because of the talents of chris cornell. He has the talent as a songwriter. He has the talent as a singer.  Hell, he carries them with his voice on the weaker songs.

The weak link is tom morrello. his solos are predictible and bland. When I hear a new song on the radio, I can tell where the solo is going to go before hand, because it's always the same damn thing.

Sorry if the truth upsets you, but he just isn't that great. Audioslave is good, but not because of tom morrello.

Hopefully Cornell will realize this one day and get rid of morello for jerry cantrell. Then the music will improve along with the guitar playing.

How did you know I was a genius?  

I don't have a crush on "whatever his name is", but I have always enjoyed his playing since I am also a Rage Against the Machine fan.  Thanks for noticing my genius.  Let's not let this deteriorate into personal attacks and name calling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bd

Is #1 Zero a band, album or song?

It's a song on Audioslave's Out of Exile album.  I think number 10.

bd
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I don't have a crush on "whatever his name is", but I have always enjoyed his playing since I am also a Rage Against the Machine fan.  Thanks for noticing my genius.  Let's not let this deteriorate into personal attacks and name calling.

ah good, you like the little commie wannabees. How refreshing. Doyle supporter as well?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah good, you like the little commie wannabees. How refreshing. Doyle supporter as well?

Hypothetically, I would wonder how somebody could have almost 6,000 posts and act like such a jerk.

I listen to music for music, not for politics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hypothetically, I would wonder how somebody could have almost 6,000 posts and act like like a jerk.

Just asking. Lot of little trolls here that support liberal / socialist postions.

BTW, since you seem to be sticking around here, let me quote you:

But, if he is bitching about a band that he doesn't have to listen to, then that is like me bitching every time I slap myself in the nuts.

To apply this situation to you. if you dont' like my thread about tom morello, you don't have to be here.

Yet you keep coming back to complain about me complaining.

Pot, meet kettle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hypothetically, I would wonder how somebody could have almost 6,000 posts and act like like a jerk.

Just asking. Lot of little trolls here that support liberal / socialist postions.

But, if he is bitching about a band that he doesn't have to listen to, then that is like me bitching every time I slap myself in the nuts.

To apply this situation to you. if you dont' like my thread about tom morello, you don't have to be here.

Pot, meet kettle.

Nice to meet you kettle.  The reason I keep coming back is because we seem to have a kind of interaction going here.  I don't dislike it here, I just dislike that fact that we sometimes complain about things that we don't have to let affect us (I am also guilty of this at times if only verbally).  If you want me to leave your thread, I will.  I don't want to get in trouble for hijacking or anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
The solo in "Number 1 Zero" is the definition of the word "mediocrity"

You wanna hear a talented guitarist?  Listen to "Speedball" by Black Label Society and "The Struggle Within" by Metallica.

ETA: These are obviously two different guitarists.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pot, meet kettle.

Nice to meet you kettle.  The reason I keep coming back is because we seem to have a kind of interaction going here.  I don't dislike it here, I just dislike that fact that we sometimes complain about things that we don't have to let affect us (I am also guilty of this at times if only verbally).  If you want me to leave your thread, I will.  I don't want to get in trouble for hijacking or anything.

It's a discussion board. People post things here for discussion. It's part of life. You talk about things you like and you don't like. If people only talked about things they liked, life and this board would be pretty damn boring.

Again, if YOU don't like it, maybe you shouldn't be on a discussion board. After all, you don't have to be here if you donit want to.

Understanding the irony of your post yet? You decide to post something maybe you thought was profound, but instead instead end up doing the same exact damn thing you were going after me for.

Think about it for a minute.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I love my Crybaby. When I'm not doing my best Clapton or Hendrix impersonations, I can always please the crowd with my best "whacka-chicka-whacka-chicka-whacka" white-boy funk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#41]
It's not a wah pedal, it's a Digitech Whammy pedal.  Instead of sweeping the passed frequencies in the audio chain, it does pitch shifting.  The solo on Like a Stone is a prime example.  It's found in a lot of metal rigs these days, and Dimebag had a couple of them, but Morello really goes overboard with it.  Some of it is inspired, while the rest of it is just noise.  

On a tangent, I loved when Audioslave played Cuba earlier this year and they were talking about what a wonderful place it was.  Their music is banned there, and people risk their lives to flee the country by sea in a 57 buick with pontoons strapped to the side of it just to get away.  Even the pilgrims weren't that desperate to leave England.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I love my Crybaby. When I'm not doing my best Clapton or Hendrix impersonations, I can always please the crowd with my best "whacka-chicka-whacka-chicka-whacka" white-boy funk.

There's nothing wrong with using the wah itself.  Hell, my namesake uses it on almost every solo.  It's the fact that Morello just plain sucks and uses his effects to TRY to cover that fact up.  Zakk, on the other hand (and Kirk Hammet, who has also become a wah-aholic) are some of the best lead-guitarists EVER and only use the wah to add another dimension to their already incredible playing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with using the wah itself.  Hell, my namesake uses it on almost every solo.  It's the fact that Morello just plain sucks and uses his effects to TRY to cover that fact up.  Zakk, on the other hand (and Kirk Hammet, who has also become a wah-aholic) are some of the best lead-guitarists EVER and only use the wah to add another dimension to their already incredible playing.

That's fair. I guess I need to d/l some audioslave songs and listen for myself. It's been a while since I've heard anything, since I don't listen to FM much these days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pot, meet kettle.

It's a discussion board. People post things here for discussion. It's part of life. You talk about things you like and you don't like. If people only talked about things they liked, life and this board would be pretty damn boring.

Again, if YOU don't like it, maybe you shouldn't be on a discussion board. After all, you don't have to be here if you donit want to.

Understanding the irony of your post yet? You decide to post something maybe you thought was profound, but instead instead end up doing the same exact damn thing you were going after me for.

Think about it for a minute.

But, but, but, I thought you said I was a genius?  Yes I do see the irony of my posting, as a matter of fact I have chuckled after the last couple of posts that I made.  I started off kind of miffed, but have been enjoying this for the last hour or so.  Thank you for being more intelligent than belligerent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fair. I guess I need to d/l some audioslave songs and listen for myself. It's been a while since I've heard anything, since I don't listen to FM much these days.

No, you really don't.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's not a wah pedal, it's a Digitech Whammy pedal.

I don't know his rig (because I dont' give a damn), but 'wah' was probably the best way to describe it.

Whatever it is, he relies on the jape too much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Take away his Digitech Whammy pedal and he's nothing.  He doesn't have shit on most metal guitarists.  He doesn't suck, he just seems like a real one trick pony IMO.

I play guitar so I feel I am qualified to critique.

Any raidio friendly band is going to get asskissing for their musicianship, even if they suck.  On the same hand, there's more to being in a good band, than being just a good guitar player.  If he was good (zakk wilde, cantrel, etc) he could go solo and be successful.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Take away his Digitech Whammy pedal and he's nothing.  He doesn't have shit on most metal guitarists.  He doesn't suck, he just seems like a real one trick pony IMO.

I play guitar so I feel I am qualified to critique.

Any raidio friendly band is going to get asskissing for their musicianship, even if they suck.  On the same hand, there's more to being in a good band, than being just a good guitar player.  If he was good (zakk wilde, cantrel, etc) he could go solo and be successful.

Or most blues, jazz (especially) or country guitarists.....

And it's WYLDE, dammit!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I have to agree that he is a "one trick pony".  I guess that I like his trick and when I grow tired of it I will move on.  As it is I seldom listen to "Rage" anymore.  I must be getting old because I find myself listening to more and more public radio.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I have to agree that he is a "one trick pony".  I guess that I like his trick and when I grow tired of it I will move on.  As it is I seldom listen to "Rage" anymore.  I must be getting old because I find myself listening to more and more public radio.

Uh oh, RATM and NPR....I think someone needs an intervention....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top