Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:43 PM EDT
hello I've lurked here a lot and learned a lot but tonight I wanted to share a valuable lesson that I learned tonight. The absolute worst concealed carry gun is the one that you left at home.

I was returning home with my wife and dog from puppy obedience class and stopped at walmart because my wife wanted to pick up a couple things. The plan was for me to wait in the car with our dog while she ran in. About 5 min. later my puppy needs to go to the bathroom. So I get out and walk him to the grass at the edge of the parking lot. That was my first mistake I should have stayed in a better lighted more crowded area. So then I am approached by a "gentleman"ho
Over all I guess everything turned out OK. No one was hurt. Thankfully I always carry my cash separate  of my wallet (which I left in the car) and he didn't ask about it so he didn't get any credit cards or ID's. And I learned a valuable lesson. If possible ALWAYS carry your CCW.  This story could have easily had a much deadlier ending.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
hello I've lurked here a lot and learned a lot but tonight I wanted to share a valuable lesson that I learned tonight. The absolute worst concealed carry gun is the one that you left at home.

I was returning home with my wife and dog from puppy obedience class and stopped at walmart because my wife wanted to pick up a couple things. The plan was for me to wait in the car with our dog while she ran in. About 5 min. later my puppy needs to go to the bathroom. So I get out and walk him to the grass at the edge of the parking lot. That was my first mistake I should have stayed in a better lighted more crowded area. So then I am approached by a "gentleman" who request some money. Not really wanting to deal with him I give him a 5 dollar bill hoping he will just go away. At this point he shows me a gun (appeared to be a Kel-Tec 380 or something similiar) and demands more. So I gave him all I had in my pocket (@ 45 dollars). This seemed to satisfy him and he left.

Over all I guess everything turned out OK. No one was hurt. Thankfully I always carry my cash separate  of my wallet (which I left in the car) and he didn't ask about it so he didn't get any credit cards or ID's. And I learned a valuable lesson. If possible ALWAYS carry your CCW.  This story could have easily had a much deadlier ending.

Reason #1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 why I carry 24/7.

Glad that you and yours were not hurt, but it SHOULD have ended much deadlier.....on the criminal's side of course.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
How would having your gun you left at home have changed the outcome?

Would you have had time to draw and fire when he presented his weapon?

Clarify for me, did he just show that he had the gun, or did he point it at you?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a bad situation. I dont think you would have had a chance even if you had you gun. You know your mistakes and it likely wont happen again. Glad you made it out ok.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that happened, but glad you're allright to tell us about it.

Cash and plastic are replacable, your body isn't.

Fuck criminals.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to second guess you but how did you let this dude get so close to you? My number one place to be overly anal is at walmart. Even in the well lit parking lot i usually will keep my right hand free for just a situation where i will be rushed at. I just don't see how you let someone close on you without heading in the other direction when you saw it happening. Also you are a bad bad man for not carrying.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Under the circumstances, you probably did the right thing just giving him the money.  Luckily it never escalated from there.  

If it had you would have really missed your CCW...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Now go find him and finish it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of puppy?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like it would have been preventable if he were carrying and if he had better situationla awareness. Unless the guy dropped out of a fucking tree he should have been spotted and 1. been ready to pull his gun  or 2. backed out of the area and headed towards a well lit area. Like i said  Walmart=nervous me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Lesson learned, now get a gun you will cary!!! I always have my lil buddy, a P64 from military gun supply, $139  in 9x 18.  If I feel under armed I cary my Glock 21 when I can, but the nice thing is my wife carries too, so she would have my back.
Glad your OK, and my wife LOVES her new firestorm Bersa .45 we got it for 300$ and it holds seven rounds, and fits in a ppk holster.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Your best defense is situational awareness. Your CCW is for when that fails.

good to hear that you didnt get hurt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Always alert fellas.. my wife thinks I am paranoid but Im sorry. Shady characters stand out to me.

And I am sick and tired of these fucking beggars. Everytime I go and get gas in a "questionable" area I almost ALWAYS get one hunk of low class smegma street scum asking me for spare change.

Yeah, California bans rifles that arent used in a crime yet lets these pieces of shit harass you.

Bro, I am sorry that happened to you. Dont kick yourself about not carrying, It was the BEST choice you made at that moment... Remember "Hindsight is 20/20"

DO NOT beat yourself up over it... I am a FIRM believer in what goes around comes around, You will find a 50.00 bill in the street one day and SCUMBAG THEIF will get held up for twice what he got you for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
How would carrying have made a difference when he had the drop on you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
He only showed me the rear half of his gun (pulling it part way out of his pocket).  Would I have had time to draw and fire? I think so but I really dont know for sure. To be completely honest I am not even 100% sure that I would have done anything different if I did have my gun.  Like I said fortunately everything worked out this time...
And yes I should have never let myself get in this situation to begin with  I will be more alert from now on!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. Pulling your CCW could have gotten you killed since he already had his partly showing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What kind of puppy?  h.gif

12 week old boxer. Smartest puppy I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad you are safe. That sounded like a pretty $hitty situation. It's a good thing that Mr. Badguy was happy with just your money. Did you call the police after you exited the scene? Were you able to provide a description or was it too dark? I hope they can find this guy, chances are he'll do it again.

Just to provide some ideas for the future, I always have my Surefire in my hand ready to go when I am in public at night. If someone starts getting too close or acting in a threatening manner I can splash them with 65 lumens. Nothing criminal about using a flashlight. Being blinded could cause a goblin to reconsider their plan, and will at least reset their OODA loop giving you a little room to maneuver. In the surroundings you described I would not be comfortable with anyone approaching me. If they want to talk, they can do so from a distance. Don't be afraid to tell someone to "stop" if they are getting too close for comfort. This allows you to be more proactive and have some control over the situation.

Having gun is a great thing, but it will not save your life if you do not employ proper situational awareness/mindset.

I carry my Surefire all day, everyday. Anyone with a dog would be wise to consider carrying one or something similar as well.

Glad you're safe. Sorry if I sound like a know it all armchair quarterback. I just hope you can come away from this with a plan to prevent it in the future.

Take care.
2IDdoc
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. Pulling your CCW could have gotten you killed since he already had his partly showing.

This is true and I should have had better situational awareness and never been in the situation. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry to hear about your situation.  BTW, do you carry a knife?  If he is close enough to take money from your hand, he is close enough to stab or slash.  That's why I always carry a tactival folder in my right pocket.  I use a Columbia River 4-inch M-21 with a spear point.  And this knife goes in places where my CCW is questionable, such as church and school.  I prefer a sharp blade to nothing at all.  To all those who say give them the money- fuck that.  I've got a Viking berserker living inside me, waiting for his coming out party.  Then again, I am part Italian.  Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true and I should have had better situational awareness and never been in the situation. Lesson learned.

You lived so you learn.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad you're safe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm glad you are safe. That sounded like a pretty $hitty situation. It's a good thing that Mr. Badguy was happy with just your money. Did you call the police after you exited the scene? Were you able to provide a description or was it too dark? I hope they can find this guy, chances are he'll do it again.

Just to provide some ideas for the future, I always have my Surefire in my hand ready to go when I am in public at night. If someone starts getting too close or acting in a threatening manner I can splash them with 65 lumens. Nothing criminal about using a flashlight. Being blinded could cause a goblin to reconsider their plan, and will at least reset their OODA loop giving you a little room to maneuver. In the surroundings you described I would not be comfortable with anyone approaching me. If they want to talk, they can do so from a distance. Don't be afraid to tell someone to "stop" if they are getting too close for comfort. This allows you to be more proactive and have some control over the situation.

Having gun is a great thing, but it will not save your life if you do not employ proper situational awareness/mindset.

I carry my Surefire all day, everyday. Anyone with a dog would be wise to consider carrying one or something similar as well.

Glad you're safe. Sorry if I sound like a know it all armchair quarterback. I just hope you can come away from this with a plan to prevent it in the future.

Take care.
2IDdoc

No I didn't call the police. I wouldn't have been able to provide a description beyond skin color and hair length and by the time they responded he would have been long gone.  I have a Surefire that I usually carry but it was left at home beside the gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
all you guys that say i would have drawn down .
have you every be confronted by such a situation.
i bet not
it's easy to say i would have drawn on him but i bet a few on here would have wet them self.

im glad evey thing worked out for you glad your ok and try to get a good night sleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Your best defense is situational awareness. Your CCW is for when that fails.

good to hear that you didnt get hurt.

WINNER!

Well said, Sir.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Now go find him and finish it.

Over $50?  I disagree.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
From your thread title, I thought you were talking about doing a bad job w/ concealment...kinda like this pic...

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I often carry a stack of dollar sized paper wrapped in a fake $20 so it looks like couple hundred dollars. It is held together by a cheap, yet heavy money clip so it can be tossed a fair distance. It makes a good distraction for would be muggers. They turn or stoop to pick up their "loot" and when they look back up they are staring at the muzzle of a GLOCK.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Only 22 posts until someone called BS....impressive.

The question is who would have drawn down on him and then what would you have done?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The question is who would have drawn down on him and then what would you have done?

Yo hommie is that my $45 dollars?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Be thankful it only cost you $45.  If you would have shot in self defense (justified), it would cost a lot more in lawyer's bills not to mention stress/guilt.

Glad you are OK, the stars were aligned in your favor today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Would it have been worth killing the criminal even if you had your CCW?  I mean killing someone in that circumstance would likely lead to criminal man slaughter charges and a civil wrongful death suit.  Each of which, even if you win, could cost you tens of thousands of $$$.  As it is you only lost $45.  I'm not saying the law is right, but it is what it is.  

I think taking a human life is a pretty big deal, and it is not something I would do unless I thought my life or that of a loved one was in immediate danger.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
From your thread title, I thought you were talking about doing a bad job w/ concealment...kinda like this pic...

I thought it was a thread about Desert Eagles or Colt Buntlines...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
 I mean killing someone in that circumstance would likely lead to criminal man slaughter charges and a civil wrongful death suit.

What fucking planet do you people live on? Armed robber gets a bullet. That's a good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I mean killing someone in that circumstance would likely lead to criminal man slaughter charges and a civil wrongful death suit.

What fucking planet do you people live on? Armed robber gets a bullet. That's a good shoot.

Agreed!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#39]
similar thing happened to me at walmart but I saw him coming from a mile away and told him to back off while I raised up my maglight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yo hommie is that my $45 dollars?

ha

*BANG* *BANG-BANG--BANG*...

*BANG*
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#41]
will the criminal and civil charges have as much footing if you were to use a knife versus a gun?
in this situation the criminal has a gun, you have a knife. you are at the disadvantage, would police even charge you with manslaughter for this?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Would it have been worth killing the criminal even if you had your CCW?  I mean killing someone in that circumstance would likely lead to criminal man slaughter charges and a civil wrongful death suit.  Each of which, even if you win, could cost you tens of thousands of $$$.  As it is you only lost $45.  I'm not saying the law is right, but it is what it is.  

I think taking a human life is a pretty big deal, and it is not something I would do unless I thought my life or that of a loved one was in immediate danger.

is it a coincidence this poster and the thread starter both joined in march, 2005? HMMMMMMMMMM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Be thankful it only cost you $45.  If you would have shot in self defense (justified), it would cost a lot more in lawyer's bills not to mention stress/guilt.

Glad you are OK, the stars were aligned in your favor today.

Agreed.

A little over two years ago I had what looked like a homeless guy stop me at about 4AM as I was going into the backdoor at work.  He showed me a knife and demanded a quarter and to be allowed to use the bathroom.  He didn't threaten me.  He just made sure I saw the knife.  While he was in the bathroom, I called the police.  When he came-out and saw me near the phone, he asked if he could use the phone rather than taking a quarter.  I said sure, and he called his mother to come pick him up.  He said he was lost.  I had to tell her how to get to our office.  I found-out that even though the guy looks normal, he is seriously retarded after a head injury after running into a tree while playing soccer.  Not long before that he had been arrested for public urination.  I guess the poor guy was doing what he thought was the better thing to do since he didn't want to get in trouble again.  If I was carrying, I might have shot the poor guy after he pulled the knife.  A gun isn't the solution in all cases.z
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
will the criminal and civil charges have as much footing if you were to use a knife versus a gun?
in this situation the criminal has a gun, you have a knife. you are at the disadvantage, would police even charge you with manslaughter for this?

In theory it matters not.  Deadly force is deadly force.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]
So you get robbed at gunpoint and don't bother to call the police? You can't ID clothing, race anything? Sorry, you are not smart enought to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So you get robbed at gunpoint and don't bother to call the police? You can't ID clothing, race anything? Sorry, you are not smart enought to carry a gun.

ok sorry for not being clear enough.  When I said Skin color I was including race. I could describe style of clothing but no details. Wasn't really thinking about that at the time. What could the police have done.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok sorry for not being clear enough.  When I said Skin color I was including race. I could describe style of clothing but no details. Wasn't really thinking about that at the time. What could the police have done.

More than likely, not a fucking thing, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

make you wait 45 minutes...
i agree though, if he does not have a good ID on the guy, its fairly pointles ot make a report aside from letting the cops know that this walmart may be targeted again for armed robberey.
i think i would have called the police, then i could ask them what i can do next time this occurs and i just so happen to be armed
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More than likely, not a fucking thing, IMO.

BULLSHIT!  Even if it was only a 10% chance of them catching him, that's a 10% chance that you may have saved someone from the same experience or WORSE.  You guys are as bad as those people you complain about that stand there and watch as a person gets mugged/raped.  At least give them the chance to put that on the radio.  It's perfectly feasible that the guy was still walking around nearby and could have been caught or the cops have a good idea who it was (probably a repeat offender).

And you could notice his gun looked like a kel-tec 380 bu you couldn't describe the guy?    True ARFCOMer

As far as if you would have had time to draw, a good trick is to just throw him your wallet and act scared and subservient, that will lower his guard.  You can do it so it falls on the ground at which point you draw and shoot him.  Even if it doesn't fall on the ground, he'll likely preoccupy both hands in catching it or examining it, that will give you plenty of time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#50]
out of
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top