Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:02:37 AM EDT
The comment was made in a thread a while back that "most Americans supported the '94 Assault Weapons Ban", and that statement was treated with a degree of disbelief by many board members. While I have no figures or statistics concerning that specific legislation, it did remind me that we should never get comfortable in the notion that "the people" or even "most gun owners" are with us in the fight to maintain our Second Amendmant rights.

Off the top of my head I can think of three gun owners I knew that did not object to the '94 AWB at the time of its' passing. All three were Texans (a group so many think are immune from such treacherous thoughts).

-One was a LEO who felt that it would make the streets safer for law enforcement officers and that "regular people" didn't need "assault weapons".
-The second was a Vietnam veteran who thought the legislation had to do with a ban on fully automatic rifles.
-The third was a gunsmith who felt "people don't need guns like that, they're inaccurate pieces of junk that will just get you in trouble".

More recentley, 2004 exit polls indicated that 36% of American gun owners voted for John Kerry.*

While we seem to have a relative degree of comfort right now, the left and organizations like HCI are still out there, and not only do they have the support of the liberal left, but either support or apathy from our own ranks.

-53Vortec

*Source NSSF, via American Handgunner, March 2005
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the Night Crew.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a lot of stupid fuckers with the right to vote and own guns.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There's a lot of stupid fuckers with the right to vote and own guns.  

We are our own worst enemy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top