Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:30:46 AM EDT
I know ABET is like the end-all of accreditations for general degrees (Science, etc...) but what about MBA Programs?

Which accreditations do I need to look for to see if a university is worth attending?
ABET?
ASSCB?
something else?

There are a few schools that do not require GMAT scores that work with your employer to simply accept you into the program.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Try AACSB..Its been 10 years somce my MBA but its what I remember
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1.  I used to work in graduate school admissions and AACSB is what you want for a biz school.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I used to work in graduate school admissions and AACSB is what you want for a biz school.

Correct.

But you want more than just the right accreditation.  There are a lot of programs out there that have AACSB accreditation, but still aren't worth the paper their printed on.  It's all a matter of what someones willing to pay for it.

After all, you are going to spend a lot of money on this degree.  If it gets you the same salary, it really isn't worth it.  You want to make substantially more when you graduate, to pay for that degree.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There are a few schools that do not require GMAT scores that work with your employer to simply accept you into the program.

You want to take the GMAT.

A program that doesn't want a GMAT score... Well, it's your money, but you're throwing it away.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A program that doesn't want a GMAT score... Well, it's your money, but you're throwing it away.

UofM Dearborn and Lawrence Tech have a thing with my employer where you do not need a GMAT score to take their MBA programs. AFAIK they are not AACSB accredited and yet there are quite a few people taking those classes and getting tuition coverage.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UofM Dearborn and Lawrence Tech have a thing with my employer where you do not need a GMAT score to take their MBA programs. AFAIK they are not AACSB accredited and yet there are quite a few people taking those classes and getting tuition coverage.

There's quite a few places that encourage people to get MBA's from non-accredited schools.  Including my company.  They actively discourage people from attending a Top 20 program locally, and instead direct them towards a non-accredited program nearby.

The reason's quite simple - they have lost people who obtain degree's from better programs, mostly because they won't pay fair market value to retain those people after they get their degree.  Therefore, they discourage it.

Makes sense for the company.  But it doesn't make sense for you.

What you want is a degree that not only teaches you what you'll need to know, but one that is respected by employer's.  Employer's that will pay you for the degree.  What you don't want is a degree that will bring value to you for your current employer, but not in the marketplace.

Ironically, both types of degree's are about the same price - but one get's you a 3-4 figure raise, and the other one gets you a 5 figure raise.  There's a reason that companies pay more for people with those degrees - and you want to be one of those people if you can be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top