Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:14:29 PM EDT
i just bought my first safe and want to prevent any rust forming on my guns.  who uses golden rods?  do they really work?  who has the best price on them?
thanks in advance.

earlybirdnj

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one in my safe, works great.  

Beekeeper, not sure what you mean by allowing the moist air to escape, the rod dries any moisture in the air.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one but last time i checked it quit
I never replaced it  has been 4 years now and no rust
of course YMMV
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
IBTGJ - In Before The Gay Jokes.

Have another brand.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I use several of the big silica bags, i bought enough to cover twice the amount needed for my safe. no problems here, plus when there full i just dry them in an oven. and re use em!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
i once read somewhere that a golden rod removes some of the fire protection. the way it does that is by drying out the fire insulation, which helps keep the temp down during a fire by off gassing any water in the fire lining

now i would love to see what if any difference a gallon jug or 2 in the safe would do for temps in the safe during a fire. you would figure that the water would start absorbing any heat about 212 in the safe by boiling off and excaping out of the safe, which is basicly what the fire lining does
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have two of them in one of my safes.  They work great--but only as long as you have a hole sufficient to allow the moist air to escape.  This could compromise your fire protection.  

Where on the safe does this hole reside?  I am looking into safes and need to know what to look for.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
That what my ladyfriend calls my....

Oh were talking safes. I have some box that remington sells. Once the silcon beads turn pink you plug it and dry it out. My safe is in a very humid basement and rust was a real problem till i got this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have two of them in one of my safes.  They work great--but only as long as you have a hole sufficient to allow the moist air to escape.  This could compromise your fire protection.  

Where on the safe does this hole reside?  I am looking into safes and need to know what to look for.

Brian

That particular safe is a Browning--and it has a threaded hole top-center with a large bolt, apparently for this purpose.  I removed the bolt, ran a cord in, wired a double outlet box, and plugged in two GRs and two lights.  As heat rises I would think this is a good place for the hole.  

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it!

Brian
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The guns that will fit in a silicone treated gun sock are stored in a silicone treated gun sock. Everything else gets wiped down at least once a week with a silicon rag. I try and shoot at least once a week, and I rotate my guns pretty regularly so each gun usually gets cleaned at least once ever couple months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one.

After four years in a humid basement, no rust.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

I have two, a 12" in my safe & 36" one I put under my covered motorcyclye in the winter.

The only hole in my safe (Liberty) is on the back for the cord to go through. The moisture that escapes from the safe is pushed out through the gap between the door & the door frame. Your safe will not be air tight, so you don't need a special hole for the moisture to escape. Also fire    protection is not affected, in the event of a fire the seal around the door expands, sealing the interior.

I got a good deal on the GoldenRods, something like $29.00 for the 36" one, can't remember how much for the 12".  I can't remember where I got them from right now, I'll do some looking & edit this post later.

hk45shooter

ETA: I bought them from www.midsouthshooterssupply.com. I don't know how to do a direct link to the GoldenRods, so you'll have to look around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Been using one for about 12 years with great results.
(I'm wondering if it's getting time to replace it?)

The gun locker is in a family room that has a dehumidifier in it.
The dehum gets about 5 gallons a week of water out of the air in that room.
No rust on any guns in the cabinet for all these years.

I even put some guns in my cabinet that had previous rust problems.
I cleaned them up, oiled them, and put them in the locker with the Golden Rod.

No rust in 10+ years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I live on the gulf coast (high humidity) and I've been using silica bags for the past 2 yrs.   I have two bags in my Cannon safe which is 36" x 60" x 24".   No problems here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never needed anything like that.  I maintain my weapons properly & store them with a light coat of oil.  My opinion might change if I lived on Bayou, however.    

But it never hurts to be safe rather than sorry.  

I just view them as cheap insurance.  <shrug>

You mean you're being safe rather than sorry?    

I have a number of friends & a couple of relatives who use dehumidifiers.  Sure, I believe them when they tell me they're worth the money & effort to put in.  But since I've yet to experience any sort of oxidation during storage in my 25 years of firearm ownership, I figured...nah.  

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I live in relatively balmy (or is it barmy?) New England, and with my gun cabinet, I still need two small dehumidifiers going or my basement turns to mold and mildew city. It's not E.Texas or S. Louisiana, but it gets very humid like there in the summer here. But none of my stored guns have rusted, save a Mosin-Nagant, whose bore turns VERY brown if I don't lube it every few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I use one in a basement safe works great.
Midwayusa.com is running them on sale now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top