Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:13:48 PM EDT
My aunt is going to buy an emachine PC from best buy.

It says the os is windows xp media center edition.

Is this more like xp pro or home?

The reason I ask is because I want to be able to remote desktop into her machine to fix it for her when problems arise. I know I can't do that with XP home, but can with xp professional. I've never heard of xp media center.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
well, XP home doesn't have "remote desktop" but it is able to send remote assistance requests, which allow you to take control of the logged on user's desktop. I'm not sure about media center, but whichever way it goes, it will be able to be remotely worked on in one form or another.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Windows XP MCE is built on XP Pro.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just purchased a E MAchine today and I am very happy with the XP system, my old one had the first XP/OS and it was very plain.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
XP Media center is build on XP Pro but missing a few "networking" thingies.

You can only add the PC to a domain in the installation process.

bye
Oli
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My aunt is going to buy an emachine PC from best buy.

It says the os is windows xp media center edition.

Is this more like xp pro or home?

The reason I ask is because I want to be able to remote desktop into her machine to fix it for her when problems arise. I know I can't do that with XP home, but can with xp professional. I've never heard of xp media center.

You can do remote desktop on a MCE PC.

Media Center has features that can make the PC well a.... Media center.

A store house for audio, video, and pictures… with the right TV turner cards the PC can be used as a DVR (like a TIVO)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
i was installing media edition on a pc a couple weeks ago.    when it asked for disk 2.  it asked for disk 2 of xp pro

but yet it doesn't work on domains, so ive heard
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i was installing media edition on a pc a couple weeks ago.    when it asked for disk 2.  it asked for disk 2 of xp pro

but yet it doesn't work on domains, so ive heard

You can join a domain during the initial install but not afterward.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
cool thanks for the heads up max_mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top