Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't open the link.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Linky no worky for me, how about you?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]

California Penis Code 53.23.89 In preservation of public safety and sheep protection, thinking about guns is now a felony.

ETA- A website cant have an Adobe extension.

OK........

.com
.net
.org

Noway

.pdf
.exe

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
this more better?

Handgun safety law in effect Sunday http://epaper.ocregister.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXL...
1 of 1 1/1/06 8:16 AM
Publication: Orange County Register; Date: Dec. 29, 2005; Section: Front Page; Page: 16
Handgun safety law in effect Sunday
It requires new semiautomatic pistols to carry measures that
would prevent accidental firings.
By JIM SANDERS THE SACRAMENTO BEE
SACRAMENTO For state Sen. Jack Scott, New Year’s Day will mark another milestone in a personal
crusade to prevent accidental shootings like the one that killed his son, Adam.
“There’s nothing I can do to bring back Adam, but I can do everything within my power to see that other
families don’t have to experience this tragedy,” said Scott, D-Pasadena.
Adam Scott, a 27-year-old law school graduate, died in October 1993 while attending a Los Angeles
party with friends. The host showed off a gun and it accidentally fired.
Jack Scott’s Senate Bill 489 – a 2003 bill that takes effect Sunday – is touted by gun-control groups.
The measure targets a specific kind of accidental shooting, involving a single unspent round fired from a
handgun thought to be unloaded.
Semiautomatic pistols chamber a bullet with each pull of the trigger, so a user can detach the
magazine, believe the gun is empty, pull the trigger and only then discover that a live round was in the
chamber.
Under SB 489, new models of rim-fire semiautomatic pistols introduced to the California market after
Sunday must have a disconnect mechanism to prevent firing when the magazine is removed.
New center-fire semiautomatics after New Year’s Day must be equipped with either a magazine
disconnect mechanism or a chamber load indicator that warns of an unspent round.
In one year – by January 2007 – all new center-fire models must contain both safety devices.
The law affects only a small portion of the roughly 300,000 to 350,000 guns sold annually in California.
State stats
Accidental shootings in California caused:
68 deaths
658 hospitalized injuries
represent 1 0 percent of all shootings in 2003, the most recent year for which state statistics are
available.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Its only for new designs not previosly sold in Cali.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A more effective method of preventing others dieing the way his son did, would be to make it illegal to sweep entire rooms full of people while you are drunk and holding a loaded pistol.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its only for new designs not previosly sold in Cali.

Until they pass a law retoactively banning any handgun without the features.  I think you know how this (unfortunately) works.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
People like Jack Scott have made it a crusade (complete with holy vows) to ban guns.  There is no dealing with zealots like him.  They are impervious to reason or facts.  He didn't raise his son to respect firearms and now everyone else will pay the price of HIS failures.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
The ability to fire with the mag removed is an important safety feature for the operator!  Otherwise you are defenseless when performing a tac reload.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
People like Jack Scott have made it a crusade (complete with holy vows) to ban guns.  There is no dealing with zealots like him.  They are impervious to reason or facts.  He didn't raise his son to respect firearms and now everyone else will pay the price of HIS failures.

granted, the guy is an asshat, but I don't think his son was the one disrespecting a firearm - he was the unlikely recipient of anothers misjudgement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
"It accidently fired"

Hmm...

What chance AD vs ND, do you think?

NTM
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think this is one of the smartest things ever written. I applaud you sir.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

granted, the guy is an asshat, but I don't think his son was the one disrespecting a firearm - he was the unlikely recipient of anothers misjudgement.

His son was disrespecting the firearm. You see a drunk guy handling a firearm, get the fuck out of there. Hell, when customers and I get into discussions on firearms they are not drunk and they take out the firearm to show me, they unload it and I CHECK IT.

Not arguing with you, just adding a point to ponder.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Play with fire and you get burned.  You hang out with stupid people and stupid things happen.

Choose your friends and don't play with firearms.  There are no laws on the books for stupidity.  

Max
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right, I got it wrong but oddly enough it was a shotgun.  Anything other than assuming a gun is loaded leads to a false sense of safety.  Devices like chamber indicators are no substitute for real safe handling.  In fact you can hear the words now "but I know I looked and the chamber indicator said it was empty!".

By Jim Sanders -- Bee Capitol Bureau

For state Sen. Jack Scott, New Year's Day will mark another milestone in a personal crusade to prevent accidental shootings like the one that killed his son, Adam.

"There's nothing I can do to bring back Adam, but I can do everything within my power to see that other families don't have to experience this tragedy," said Scott, D-Altadena.

Adam Scott, a 27-year-old law school graduate, died in October 1993 while attending a Los Angeles party with friends. The host showed off a gun that accidentally fired.

Jack Scott's Senate Bill 489 - a 2003 bill that takes effect Sunday - is touted by gun-control groups as first-of-its-kind legislation. It targets a specific kind of accidental shooting, involving a single unspent round fired from a handgun thought to be unloaded.

Semiautomatic pistols rechamber a bullet with each pull of the trigger, so a user can detach the magazine, believe the gun is empty, pull the trigger and only then discover that a live round was in the chamber. Under SB 489, new models of rim-fire semiautomatic pistols introduced to the California market after Sunday must have a disconnect mechanism to prevent firing when the magazine is removed. These models generally fire .22-caliber ammunition.

New center-fire semiautomatics after New Year's Day must be equipped with either a magazine disconnect mechanism or a chamber load indicator that warns of an unspent round. These models typically use 9 mm and other such rounds.

In one year - by January 2007 - all new center-fire models must contain both safety devices.

Technology mandated by SB 489 is not new and some guns already carry it, but Scott's bill sets a national precedent for future use.

Adam Scott was killed by a shotgun, not a pistol, so the devices required by SB 489 would not have saved his life. But Scott said his ultimate goal is to make all guns safer and reduce accidental shootings of all types.

"It's very clear that when we have a dangerous product, we should do everything we can to protect the public," he said
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Weapons/UnarmedinCalifornia.jpg

ETA: dang, I'm missing two magazines ... must be in my LBV.

While I don't care for the camo job (I'm more of a traditionalist), here's two thumbs up for your M1A.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top