Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:24:35 AM EDT
I am looking for opinions on the Rosetta Stone language instructionals. I've seen some discussion of them on another board where I am a member, but no real details.

If you've used them, how effective have they been for you. Have you been in a position that you did not use the language once you got through the tapes, and were able to retain what you learned? I am trying to gauge the effectiveness as I do have a need to do some study, but I'd not always be immersed in the language itself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Same question here
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What language were you looking into learning?  I was considering those courses as well.  If we can both find a language the other wants, we can swap when we are done.  I thought learning languages would be better use of my time on airplanes than playing games on the PSP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, having been to the Defense Language Institute twice, if you do not use your language skills they will diminish over time regardless of how you learn it (native born speakers "might" be an exception).  Total immersion in a language is the only way to go, if you want true proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking.

All of this being said, the Rosetta Stone stuff might be a good way to pick up some language skills for those without the time or money for more intensive courses.  I do not think that you will be able to pick up speaking skills with the Rosetta Stone, as you won't have the in-person interaction with a native speaker to assist you.

I might pick one up for a refresher.  Anyone for Russian or Ukrainian?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I am interested in the Portugese and Spanish, and I'd be willing to work with someone. Great idea Wingnut

And let me clarify... I do not mind the learning process being as immersive as possible, but I'll not be in a position to use the language all the time for a while.

I am guessing that if nothing else, Rosetta is a great start.

I've been to their website, and seen the products on Ebay. You can get levels one and two for a substantially reduced cost if both are purchased together. IE< levels 1 and 2 Portugese for $329, as opposed to $195 for level 1 and $225 for level two, seperately.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to learn Russian and Arabic along with a few romance languages.  I'll be in a position to use them all on a regular basis.  Besides being a cerebral stimulation junkie, it could help my career.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, Ukrainian isn't available.  Damn.

They have a 6 month, money back guarantee.  Might be worth a shot.  They have an "Endangered Languages" section, where they develop courses for languages that are in danger of becoming extinct (like Native American languages).  Too bad they don't sell those.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Try "Pimsleur".

They are readilly available on most P2P networks/torrents for download...or you can pay for them at $900 bucks each
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Local college uses Rosetta stone to train missionaries and seem pretty happy with the results.

As for retention DirtyDon has it right:

Quoted:
For what it's worth, having been to the Defense Language Institute twice, if you do not use your language skills they will diminish over time regardless of how you learn it (native born speakers "might" be an exception).  Total immersion in a language is the only way to go, if you want true proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking.
quote]

BTW, if you don't use it you lose your native language.  

Example 1.  Friend went to Germany for a year lived with Germans, spoke German 24/7.  Came back - fluent in German, forgot some English.

Example 2.  Hispanic minister at our church was born in Dominican Republic.  I asked him to help me translate a document into Spanish.  He couldn't remember some of the words because they weren't part of his regular vocabulary here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am looking for opinions on the Rosetta Stone language instructionals. I've seen some discussion of them on another board where I am a member, but no real details.

If you've used them, how effective have they been for you. Have you been in a position that you did not use the language once you got through the tapes, and were able to retain what you learned? I am trying to gauge the effectiveness as I do have a need to do some study, but I'd not always be immersed in the language itself.

The local University uses the Rosetta Stone software as an integral part of their cirriculum. They absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
EArmy.U has free language courses on AKO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I just purchased several dozen copies of Rosetta Stone software for our ESL kids at the school district I work for.

I assembled a "Software Selection Committee" (administrators, ESL teachers, classroom teachers, 1-on-1 aides, and parents) and they evaluated several titles. Rosetta Stone was considered the best by a unanimous vote after reviewing each title.

My techs just installed it over Christmas break, so I'm going to be waiting to hear back from the staff that has to use it to teach the Spanish kids English.

It receives high marks in all the Education trade mags I read, and several school districts in our area use it for their ESL kids.

Although expensive, it is considered the best software out there.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Try "Pimsleur".

They are readilly available on most P2P networks/torrents for download...or you can pay for them at $900 bucks each

+1.  I haven't tried it yet, but a few co-workers have used it in French and swear by it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
i've been curious about these as well..tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag.

Interested in Italian and Japanesse.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a friend who used the Russian series before a long business trip to Moscow.  

He was very happy with the program. Wish I could tell you more.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Great responses.

I am going to get Level one and two Portugese and I'll provide an initial review as soon as I get it and get started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top