Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 2:49:20 AM EDT
How in the world do people stand to drink this stuff?  Or even eat grapefruit?

I love citrus.  I could eat tangerines until my crap turns orange.  I hadn't tried a grapefruit (or grapefruit juice) since I was knee-high to a small midget.

Saw some grapefruit-tangerine cocktail at the local mega mart the other day and decided to give it a try.

MOTHERFUCKER this stuff is sour.  And not a good sour, bitter sour.  One would think the tangerine would add some nice sweetness, but it doesn't.  It's like drinking liquid acid or something.  I think my stomach juices have more flavor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not putting enough gin in it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
This stuff is pink.  And with the way it tastes, it might scare me away from all things pink for a while.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I def. wouldn't be able to drink it with that kerosene in it.

I think I'd rather drink paint thinner or sodium hydroxide (diluted, of course) than gin.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it.

One of the funniest thing was seeing a 21 year old guy from China, fresh off the boat who'd never tried grapefruit before, try it for the first time in a cafateria.  His whole just shrivelled up

He did the same thing when he tried klamata olives for the first time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I def. wouldn't be able to drink it with that kerosene in it.

I think I'd rather drink paint thinner or sodium hydroxide (diluted, of course) than gin.

In that case I'd reccomend you try to get some Texsun Ruby Red grapefruit juice. Sweetest, smoothest grapefruit juice in the world. I drink that stuff like crazy when I'm home, while a lot of other grapefruit juices I just can't stand.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I love grapefruit juice.  I never drink it if it's sweetened - that ruins the flavor.  I love that sour, semi-sweet taste!  It's got a nice bite to it, and the taste is wonderful.  Whenever I go to a resturaunt I order it if they have it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Gratefruits are suppossed to be sour, but if they are too sour then they didn't ripen long enough on the tree.

The key to good citrus is the right soil and the right temps at time of harvest.  My mother has plenty of citrus trees where I get mine .  And some years the grapefruit are absolutely wonderful.  Gratefruit is lso VERY good for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It's good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't get enough of it ... Seriously, I love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer grapefruit juice to orange juice.

I like the semi-sour taste.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Love the stuff but you have to buy the name brand top shelf not from concentrate stuff. Then again, I drink Real Lemon lemon juice straight from the botlte too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Or try Vodka!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]
A good ruby red grapefruit is very sweet but you have to understand the technique of eating one.  The pulp is what is sour so when you buy grapefruit juice make sure it is pulp free [more than just smooth juice, make sure it is not blended with the pulp] and when you slice it open I take a steak knife and I cut around the edges of the fruit and dig the 'meat' out.  

My folks down in California have ruby red grapefruit growing in their yard.  That's about all I miss about their yard.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I LOVE grapefruit /grapefruit juice.  Had to give it up due to heart meds!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Grapefruit rock!  My grandparents had two trees in their backyard, and we' always have fresh grapefruit.  Fresh grapefruit juice is awesome.  I sure miss their trees.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why?  Which heart meds?

I love all things grapefruit/grapefruit juice...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

!?  I thought this stuff was heart healthy?  What medicine does it conflict with?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love grapefruit juice.  I never drink it if it's sweetened - that ruins the flavor.  I love that sour, semi-sweet taste!  It's got a nice bite to it, and the taste is wonderful.  Whenever I go to a resturaunt I order it if they have it.

Same here. I love regular grape-fruit juice, but I refuse to drink OJ.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm an addict to Florida's Natural Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice. Anyone who prefers sweet orange juice is a pussy!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

!?  I thought this stuff was heart healthy?  What medicine does it conflict with?

My Lipitor bottle had a warning on it not to use grapefuit products when on it.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Which heart meds?

I love all things grapefruit/grapefruit juice...

Recall seeing something on TV, they discovered that grapefruit juice strips away the mucous (if I recall correctly) from the lining of the intestine causing much greater absorbtion of the medicine, i.e. not as much is lost in the body waste. Therefore you are getting a higher dosage with potential implications.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Grapefruit is the devil's fruit.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I LOVE grapefruit /grapefruit juice.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
try pink grapefruit juice

Unless you are taking medication, in which case you should avoid grapefruit juice. It interferes with the absorbtion of a lot of different medications.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#26]
a.) texas ruby red is the best.  fresh squeezed.   no frozen or other types will do.  heed my words, the taste bud gods and goddesses will grace you...

b.) get a bottle of good vodka, say.... mccormick's, or gilbey's, tito's if you're uppity and frisky with your checkbook.  

c.) squeeze juice out of all you have of (a.) and fill 1/2 and iced glass with (b.), then top off with (a.) and a sprinkle of sea salt on the icebergs and you have a "Whippet", or a "Greyhound", it's a "Sea Breeze" if you mix 2 parts GFJ with 1 part cranberry juice cocktail beforehand.  

each to his own.  sorry if you don't like it, everybody doesn't like everything.  george bush #1 doesn't like broccoli, and that's ok, he doesn't have to like broccoli... i still have a 24K gold broccoli pin, however.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top