Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:24:04 PM EDT
I found 9 boxes of Topps 1988 baseball cards (500-count vending pack) (MINT!)

I got them at $5.00 a box  

These are going into my collection for the future!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Dood i'll sell ya 15 cases of that.  And 65 other cases of other cards from 86-91.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not worth anything to anybody.

Except me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I had about a dozen shoe boxes full of baseball cards when I was a kid (early 70's).
Over the years the were lost /thrown out / given away. I wish I still had them. I know some of them would be worth some money today.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I have a full set of cards of the twins from when they won the world series in the late 80s.

Is that worth anything?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Very few cards from the late 80s are worth jack shit except like 89' Upper Deck.  Ofcourse my dad thought he was going to retire off baseball cards so we have about 100 cases +/- of 87-91 cards.  They really arn't even worth shit now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to collect/hoards cards too.  I sold most of the unopened stuff before the market took a dive and used it as part of my downpayment for my house....got about $12K for that stuff.  Still have a lot of stuff that will probably never be worth much.  It was a fun time though while it lasted.  I think baseball card collecting really helped to bond my younger brothers and sisters and I as I used to drag them all over the place to buy them!!!  

A couple years ago I took my kid to the hospital for some shots and in the hallway of the office was about 2 cases of unopened 1988 Donruss baseball cards....about 40 boxes containing 36 packs each.  I asked the nurse what the story was with them.  She says someone dropped them off for the kids and that I could grab some if I wanted.  I told her I had more than that in my closet at home of the same exact year....she laughed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have thousands from 89-92, not worth much, There might be a few that are worth around 100.00 dollars but now you have to have evrything ''graded'' or it is worthless.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I found 9 boxes of Topps 1988 baseball cards (500-count vending pack) (MINT!)

I got them at $5.00 a box  

These are going into my collection for the future!

Sorry to tell ya man....You overpaid. There are only a handfull of cards from Topps from the early 80's to early 90's that are worth anything, (rookie cards: Henderson, Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly, Sandberg, Clemens, McGwire, etc). Tom Glavine's rookie card is probably the most valuable 1988 topps card, and I'd be surprised if it was worth more than a dollar.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah but the gum's really good...!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Card Collecting pretty much died in the early 80's . I collected them as a kid 1977-82 ish and still have them and the only cards that I have that are worth anything are 3 or 4 Henderson rooky cards. You can look at the book prices and figure you might get a third or less if you tried to sell them...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:00:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Im suprised card companies have lasted for so long.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
The cards will be fun for your kids to flip through or open up....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Topps 1952 baseball card with Mickey Mantle on it my Dad gave me a while ago,I wonder if it is worth anything ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Except me.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41645

Holy jeez. 68 pennant winners! Got Denny?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Reminds me of when I was a kid in the 1970s finding a box of a few hundred cards from the 1950s in a building we bought. Still have them tucked away somewhere. it was always amazing what you'dfind tucked away in those buildings that people had forgotten about. One time we found  a steamer trunk full of old letters from James Monroe,Grover Cleveland,etc. I hung onto those til my first marriage ended and wound up selling them for a good chunk of change.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#18]
The '52 Mantle is his rookie card....worth BIG bucks.....if it is real and not a reprint.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I still have most of mine that I collected when I was a kid.

The most valuable of mine - a book of about 30 Michael Jordan cards, most of which are autographed (I got him to sign him while the Bulls were playing the Trailblazers way back when.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a Mantle rookie and a bunch of other ones my elementary flag football coach gave me.  They were in okay shape, but I used to carry them around alot, so there was some wear.  I gave them to a kid who answered my "for sale" ad a few years ago.  He and his dad showed up and the kid was looking at each one, then made an offer to buy them.  I told him my coach gave them to me, so I would do the same for him.  Later his dad told me the kid had saved up for a year to buy some of these cards.

Hopefully he will do the right thing when he is older and he has no need for them.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except me.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41645

Holy jeez. 68 pennant winners! Got Denny?

Nope.

Truth be told...

I never collected them as a kid - never even bought the gum/cards - gum was bad, parents wouldn't let us have it.  Once I got old enough to realize I could 'sneak' up to the store, I didn't like candy, etc.

I bought those cards 2 yrs ago - got a couple more - can't remember exactly who though - but for sure not Denny.

I don't collect stuff.  But at that time, I was homesick for Michigan.  Still miss it, but I miss the way it was back in the 60s and 70s.  Place has gone to crap now - not even considering the unemployment.

Now my son on the other hand, took to it like I don't know what.  Long story short, his Nolan Ryan collection was insured for $25K by the time he was 14 yrs old.  It was freaking unbelievable.  I paid $250 for an autographed baseball once.

You got me thinking about finishing out the 68 season...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Now THAT is cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top