Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
I don't know if this is just "gunstore talk" or what, but I was at a local one earlier taking a gander at some of the .308 stuff and the owner....an older fellow, who seems to be a straight shooter said to "run away" from any of the FAL types with the Imbel receivers.

Have any of you heard of this?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not going to sugar coat it
he's a fucking retard
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
he's a fucking retard

+1

For the reading impared...he's a fucking retard!

Honestly, where to these morons come from?

Hesse = Run, Enterprise = Run, Century = crap shoot...But Imbel? DSA...Imbel...and Coonan are some of the best recievers out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard some of the recent Imbels had heat treating issues, but AFAIK that was an isolated problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Does not Imbel make the 1911 receivers for Springfield Armory?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

yup, and some of the best FALs in the world
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yup. Imbel make some of the best forgings in the business.

ETA-I was thinking the exact same thing as TRH. I will go shoot myself, now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Well than...what the hell....I'm still fairly new at all of this but is the guy just trying to steer me or what?

He almost swore up and down that "he'd never touch" anything built on Imbel.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
ask him if new springfield 1911s are any good.  when he says "yes" point out that they are cast by Imbel as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
So, if he didn't want you to buy a Imbel.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well than...what the hell....I'm still fairly new at all of this but is the guy just trying to steer me or what?

Then that guy was a dumbfuck, probably gloating over how accurate and wonderful his Hi-Point is.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Imbel = Best FAL on the market at the moment, besides DSA.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
IMBEL is good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why, where you looking at some other manufactured FAL, R1A1 or L1A1?

He might be steering you or he doesn't know what he's talking about. Too many store owners and gun store employees don't actually know the first thing about guns. They know what their favorite deer round is and what people use locally for hunting, but anything more than that and you are taking your chances.

Look at the AK thread where they put the scope on it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Going from my foggy recollection, but was it the IMBEL recievers that the BATFE was rounding up because they were either NFA items or could easily be converted to full-auto? Or was it a different manufacturer?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Going from my foggy recollection, but was it the IMBEL recievers that the BATFE was rounding up because they were either NFA items or could easily be converted to full-auto? Or was it a different manufacturer?

I know not of which you speak. Imbel recievers, at least from 2000 on, were not confiscated, nor easily convertible.

I think you may be thinking of the "Interordinance" deal, where a bunch of "parts kits" where confiscated because they weren't demilled correctly. According to the ATF that is.

I believe these "parts kits" were Imbel. But they didn't have recievers with them, only the stub where the full auto recievers were cut off.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Imbel is to Brazil what FN is to Belgium...

Like most of the south american national arms plants, they make some VERY GOOD license-built gun copies (see FMAP 1911s)....

Oh, btw... Side note... Those Century 'L1A1' thumbhole rifles... They're built on Imbel metric recievers (since we can't get any more imbel recievers in now...)

The ONLY way that he could have gotten that idea 'semi-legitimately' is if the only Imbel guns he'd seen were Century & Hesse builds on Imbel recievers....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know not of which you speak. Imbel recievers, at least from 2000 on, were not confiscated, nor easily convertible.

I think you may be thinking of the "Interordinance" deal, where a bunch of "parts kits" where confiscated because they weren't demilled correctly. According to the ATF that is.

I believe these "parts kits" were Imbel. But they didn't have recievers with them, only the stub where the full auto recievers were cut off.

Those imbel parts kits were recieverless....

The ATF gave 'em all back now - these are the 'Imbel' kits being sold at present....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Imbel reciever on a STG58 parts kit [FAL]and it is very nice. Don't have any idea what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those imbel parts kits were recieverless....

The ATF gave 'em all back now - these are the 'Imbel' kits being sold at present....

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I built my first three FALs on Imbel receivers, and they are excellant.
Of couse, in about 24hrs, Imbel (and others) FAL receivers and barrels will no longer be allowed for importation.(thanks to AG Gonzales)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Imbel makes probably the best receiver for the FAL. Somebody evidently doesn't know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#22]
It depends, I don't know the particulars but one type was cast and one type they imported was forged!

I had one on a century L1A1 and it functioned flawlessly!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#23]
It depends, I don't know the particulars but one type was cast and one type they imported was forged!

I had one on a century L1A1 and it functioned flawlessly!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
he's a fucking retard

+2 IMBELs
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Well,

Here is my .00002 cents.

Imbel are good high quality receivers.

Well within all precision specs for FNFAL type Metric Rifles.

Top notch.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the lowers they have made are not completely heat treated, just specific areas. When they are finished you can see differences in the parkerizing.

The DSA uppers are definitely finished better than anything else made. They are actually better than original FN. Now some may take umbrage at that statement, but I have an original FN and compared to the DSA, it falls a bit short.

DSA does some beautiful work and that is fact.

Now, as far as the FN parts kits that Interordinance was selling. The imbroglio started by the ATF was this:

All machineguns must be  TORCH CUT to be sold as parts kits. And I/O buggered up by NOT TORCHING but band sawing the receivers. Not only that, they GAVE the portions of the cut up receiver to you. ATF technical branch managed to band-aid one together and fire two consecutive shots out of it somehow and the fight was on.

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

like others have said, he's a fucking moron...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

All machineguns must be  TORCH CUT to be sold as parts kits. And I/O buggered up by NOT TORCHING but band sawing the receivers. Not only that, they GAVE the portions of the cut up receiver to you. ATF technical branch managed to band-aid one together and fire two consecutive shots out of it somehow and the fight was on.

Dram out

no, what happened is that ATF decided to change the rules on how MGs were supposed to be demilled and IO had already demilled several under the old rules and were still selling them... The IO kits were properly demilled per the old guidelines until ATF changed the policy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
What is the going price for an FAL built on an Imbel?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#29]
IBTL

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dram out

no, what happened is that ATF decided to change the rules on how MGs were supposed to be demilled and IO had already demilled several under the old rules and were still selling them... The IO kits were properly demilled per the old guidelines until ATF changed the policy.

Noooooo, the ATF wouldn't change the rules in midstream. I don't believe it. It can't happen. The BATFE isn't the Bureau of Another Terrible Federal Entity.

Freakin ATF is full of morons, just like the gun industry is full of moronic dealers.  Not all, but a large majority don't have a clue what they are talking about. I find kitchen top dealers usually have more on the ball.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#31]
the guys a retard.  

Imbel receivers are some, if not best FAL receivers you can get ahold of.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Gp to the Imbel website they make ALL KINDS of fun things that go bang and boom
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imbel is to Brazil what FN is to Belgium...

Like most of the south american national arms plants, they make some VERY GOOD license-built gun copies (see FMAP 1911s)....

FMAP is the armory in Argentina that was licensed by Colt's to make the M1911, and by FN to make the HI-POWER, and the FAL.

IMBEL never got a licence from Colt's for the M1911.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
My info said they band sawed them and they should have torch cut them as was standard practice.

I read this when it was happening. Might have been at the FALFILES.

Who knows, and who cares really.

Dram out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top