Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 8:08:12 PM EDT
I didn't want to hijack the other thread so here goes.

What constitutes a straw purchase?
If I buy my wife, dad or anyone else I know for that matter- is that a straw pusrchase?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No

Unless you know they cant own firearms, like they have a felony or something. But as gifts, its ok.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty straightforward I think.  If someone gives you money to buy a gun, then thats a straw purchase.  If they don't give you money and you give them a gun, then its a gift and thats ok.   It doesn't matter much if its family, I believe.

At least thats how I understand it.

edited
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, thanks.

I bought a pistol for a female co-worker a few months ago and never thought about straw purchases and now i get all worried about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol rules can be funny... here in PA all pistols must be transfered through an FFL (from you to her) but I know that not all states work that way.  I have bought long guns and gave them to my brother before but as said above it was a gift and my brother is a good guy ->  like me ->
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, it depends upon state of residence, and whether it's a handgun.  In NC, it used to be legal for a family member(immediate)  to purchase a handgun and gift it to another family member.  (As long as that person was legally able to posess a pistol in NC)

Now, State law dictates that you must posess a permit (or CCW) even if a pistol is left to you by a family member.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Rolls of straw are better than bales of straw.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ahhh!, but for portage, bales are better than rolls.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhh!, but for portage, bales are better than rolls.

What the heck is a roll of straw?  Do you mean round baler like this?

BTW... my Dad and sister work for the company that makes that baler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top