Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:56 PM EDT
A friend of mine has access to this rifle for pretty much whatever price I dictate. I really don't know anything about it since I really don't know much about bolt action rifles.  Here is what it looks like:

The receiver has writing on it as follows:

Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891
Deutsche Waffen-Und Munitionsfabriken
Berlin

There aren't any caliber markings on it that I can find. There is a "Two hands shaking" logo on it and all the numbers match.

Does anyone know anything about this rifle? What would it be worth in good condition? (good bore, good finish with very minor rust.)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
looks sporterized. Could be an 8MM.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a C&R forum, post this there.  You'll get intelligent answers.  There's no telling what you'll get in GD.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle in question is an Argentine Model 1891 rifle in caliber 7.65 mm Argentine. The Argentine contract was for 180,000 rifles and 30,000 carbines. Due to other priorities the rifles were supposedly built by Ludwig Loewe and Co in Berlin.

If I were you I would have the headspace checked by a competent gunsmith, BEFORE, you attempt to fire it. These action are not very strong, as compared to the later '98 Mauser in 8mm x 57 mm caliber. Do NOT attempt to fire any ammo such as 8mm through this rifle. It will definitely hurt both you and the rifle. E-mail if any questions. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Its an Argentine Mauser, 7.65 caliber, made by DWM for for Argentinia around the turn of the century. Excellent gun, well made, caliber is not common today but is available and expensive. They run about $125-$150.

rk
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
check here for similar rifles and prices
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
looks sporterized. Could be an 8MM.

Nope, 7.65 Argentine....

The earliest models are considered 'non-guns' by the ATF (anything pre 1898 - yes, that's right the K98 is the first weapon to be considered a firearm for the purposes of the GCA... Anything older is on the level with blackpowder weapons and such)...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
More info than you need.  If I were only as interested in my job as rifles...

- It's a sporterized 1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65*54.  This caliber is also known as 7.65 Belgian or Turkish Mauser.  The Turks were quite crafty, and wrote into their contracts that they could immediately benefit from technological advances as they developed, so they wouldn't be left  (like other nations) with a bunch of 'newly obsolete" guns still being produced out of long term contracts.  Thus, they went to 8mm shortly after it's appearance.
- DWM was the second factory that produced them, as Ludwig Lowe was the 1st.  ALL Lowe guns are antiques as if memory serves me correctly, they were produced from 91-96.  DWM produced them from '96 -? (perhaps '09), and thus this one may not be antique.
- The '91 mauser action is not as strong as the typical 3 lug mauser '98 action, but it worked fine for the ORIGINAL variation of 7.65 Argie.  In 1909, Argentina along with most other nations, upgraded their cartridge, and it became the 'bala SS 1909'  Ths cartridge is very close in size and performance to the 7.62*51 NATO which followed decades later.  It's hotter than the original loading.  It's probably a little too powerful for the M91, but I'm not aware of burst guns, and you know that they've fired millions of rounds through tens of thousands of rifles over the decades.
- It was replaced by the most finely made rifle ever to come out of Mauser in military trim, the Modelo 1909, which was made from '09 through '14, the start of WWI.  Which for the record, is in the same 7.65 caliber.
- They are not worth a whole lot in the first place, and a sporterized one is just about worthless.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have seen these marked as .308

Are you sure you aren't talking about the Chilean '96 Mausers that were rebarreled/rebored from 7mm.  I'm not an expert, but am an advanced novice, and have never seen an Argie converted.  After all, there was no shortage of 7.65 in country, and it is NOT a defective round.  Perhaps Century butchered a few?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't buy it. I like them original.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on it. If it was an 8mm Mauser, I might snag it up, but not this one.

Kris
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, 1891 Argentine rifle. Bubba has pretty well F'ed it up too by bending the bolt, cutting the barrel and sawing the front of the stock. In straight military configuration it would be worth $450 easy, but now is worth less than $100. A six pack and hacksaw has ruined many good military surplus rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top