Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
My kid was petting the family cat and she got her face a little too close to the cat and the cat took a swipe at my kid.........layed her open just above the eye.  Missed the eye by about 3/8" of an inch.

Now, what do I do with this damn cat?  I wanted to kill it........or at the very least, get it declawed, but Mrs. vmax didn't like any of those ideas.  

Cat is about 3 years old and is kinda ornery..........not a real friendly cat.  

What are my options?

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
shoot the kid, do it for the kitty
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Kid first, cat 2nd.  Friendly cats are easy to come by.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear your girl wasn't seriously injured, but that must have been frightening!

If you are worried about the kid's safety in the future, take the cat to a no-kill shelter - and hopefully someone else will adopt it and deal with it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife really likes this cat, however, it is not kid friendly.  

How big of a deal is getting it declawed?

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot the cat.

kid vs cat/dog/any animal, no contest.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
De-claw the fronts only, then the cat got the rears for protection. My dog did something similiar to my kid (9 months), but was trying to shake / play. Not really the dogs fault as it was not intending to do harm.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you serious Vmax?

Dead cat.

Trip to the humane society.

If you would voluntarily risk your child over a cat, you would really cause me to doubt your sanity.

If the wife doesnt get it, she would go to the humane society too.

Buh bye cat.

Any parent that would risk their child over a pet is frankly insane and deserves no children.

And this is just my opinion mind you, if you got a hair on yer' rear you would tell the old lady to shut her holster and take the kitty for a ride to the vets or the humane society.

Why even ask this?

Dram
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#8]
unless the cat is "preying" on your kid I wouldn't worry about it.

your daughter may have learned a tough lesson (not to sound like a hardass). She'll keep her face out of range.

my girlfriend has two cats, both can be nasty...unfortunately for me (an you) target practice isn't an option.

edited:  declawing (front paws only) cost us 100 bucks per cat.  Best damn money ever spent...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you serious Vmax?

Dead cat.

Trip to the humane society.

If you would voluntarily risk your child over a cat, you would really cause me to doubt your sanity.

If the wife doesnt get it, she would go to the humane society too.

Buh bye cat.

Any parent that would risk their child over a pet is frankly insane and deserves no children.

And this is just my opinion mind you, if you got a hair on yer' rear you would tell the old lady to shut her holster and take the kitty for a ride to the vets or the humane society.

Why even ask this?

Dram

Well, when I say "wide open", the kid has a good scratch above her eye, not really quite layed open.  It could of been very bad, though.

I told her this morning that the cat needs to be declawed and that I should have killed the cat for this.  

She left shopping late this morning and hasn't returned.  

Some of us should just stay single.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Kitty should be visiting its ancestors already.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Um, have you tried trimming your cat's claws?  Declawing is cruel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell Mrs. Vmax that the cat goes or gets declawed, thats it.

Its an animal, and will always act like an animal.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Um, have you tried trimming your cat's claws?  Declawing is cruel.

yeah, they get trimmed on a regular basis.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
... reason 87 of 1000 why I will not have a cat in this house
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nah, I understand Vmax, you are in a bad position.

But, only if you LET yourself be in this position.

There isnt a split-tail in this world worth enough to let your child come to harm because she likes kitty.

Dead kitty.

Safe kid.

Blind child is unforgiveable.

You will never forgive yourself for not acting like the man you should have been.

Wife shopping

=

Cat dead at the humane society.

You will have to deal with it for awhile, but if you still have your sac, you will lay down the law.

Come hell or high water, kids safety is paramount.

Period.

Dram

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I might de-claw the front paws.  Save the furniture too.

Trimming the claws regularly might work too.  They're still useful to the cat for defense but not as likely to break the skin.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would the cat need the front claws for defense??? Keep it in the house.

Another vote for front declawing BTW.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
SSS
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
have the cats claws trimmed.....that said....staring into a cats eyes in considered by the cat to be a challenge......I used to mess with my cat like that.....he would attack every time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
the cat never leaves the house.

vmax84

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
In my house that cat would already be dead
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Cats are animals.  How old is your daughter???  I have two huge dogs and our friends have cats--both of my kids have gotten minor scratches from the cats.  Both of my kids have learned to stay away from the cats.  It's okay to pet them, but don't get in their face.  It is a difficult lesson for a child to learn to not play with kitty, but if the wife insists on a cat, teach your kids to respect it--just like you are teaching them respect for guns and cars, and others, etc.  Please don't take this as a slam or a 'told you so', just sharing my personal experience.  Kids are bright, they can learn and be safe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cats are animals.  How old is your daughter???  I have two huge dogs and our friends have cats--both of my kids have gotten minor scratches from the cats.  Both of my kids have learned to stay away from the cats.  It's okay to pet them, but don't get in their face.  It is a difficult lesson for a child to learn to not play with kitty, but if the wife insists on a cat, teach your kids to respect it--just like you are teaching them respect for guns and cars, and others, etc.  Please don't take this as a slam or a 'told you so', just sharing my personal experience.  Kids are bright, they can learn and be safe.

We had a lot of cats growing up, And some cat's are just mean and this could be one of them.
Its you're baby daughter and a cat, let me think about it
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My daughter is 7.  Real nice kid that just wants to be "buddies" with the cat.  I think the best course of action is for her to simply avoid the cat.   The cat doesn't "come after her".  

Killing the cat, as fun as it would be, would open up a can of worms I really don't want opened.  I can keep my kid safe without opening that can of worms.  

But man, I really wanted to kill that cat.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Cat never leaves the house?  declaw it.  Better that than risk your daughter's vision. No one dates a one eye girl.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree, have the cat declawed (front claws only).  The rear claws allow it to still cimb a little.  When I was about 12 our cat (which had been declawed front only) jumped on my head and started scratching with its rear claws.  I still have a scar on the back of my head that shows when I get a short haircut.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
*sigh*

It's called learning. Maybe your kid will be more friendly around animals? Sometimes startling animals isn't a good idea. Kind of like playing with stoves. You get burned, so now you'll be careful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Ohhhhh....

Kid is seven.

I thought she was an INFANT!!

Tell that kid to stay the frick' away from the cat, its a vicious little jerk and not to be petted.

If she then gets scratched it her fault.

Man, I thought you were talking bout a darn baby

Dram
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#29]
  And the that fucking animal is still in your house and still breathing!       T
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Gotta get to bed.  Thanks for the replies.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
*sigh*

It's called learning. Maybe your kid will be more friendly around animals? Sometimes startling animals isn't a good idea. Kind of like playing with stoves. You get burned, so now you'll be careful.

+1

When I was little if I got scratched by the cat all I got was an "I'll bet you won't do that again!" and a band-aid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a monster like that, it turned into an outdoor cat real fast.  The meaner they are, the better outside cat they make, it seems...
Toss the sucker outside, get another for inside, and hope it has a better temper.
*steals back 2cents*
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Vmax,
How old is your kid? Maybe you need to teach him/her about how to act around the cat.

If the problem with the cat still persists, you should declaw the fronts.  If still, take it to a shelter.

Not to start shit but I think you're overreacting a bit.  
Edit-I saw she's seven.  Maybe she needs a refresher reminder of how to act around the cat.  Sometimes you can really tell when a cat is pissed.

If the cat looks like it's pissed then you need to stay away from it.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Me and every body I know has been "swiped" by a cat at one time or another
since we were kids. But the world was a lot more dangerous back then.

GM
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Cut your kids fingers off at the first knuckle.  It's the only way to be sure.  Do it for the kittens.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
option 1:  get it de-clawed, on all 4 feet.        hard to rip anything open without those.

option 2: take a chance and hope it doesnt do permanent damage to your kid that will be with them for the rest of their life, which is many many cat lives over

option 3:  give the cat away, get a new one as a kitten

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#38]
http://www.softpaws.com/
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
*sigh*

Typical arfcom "I didn't read the post" response. I never realized "petting" the family cat was not being "friendly"

V, are you willing to wait for a more serious injury to your kid to make the right decision. Your child may suffer a much worse wound next time. I know what my decision would be. I had to let my dog go last year after it turned on my little boy. Good Luck with this easy decision.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#40]
turn it loose near a disreputable chinese restaurant.

i'm sorry that was cruel and sterotypical..but i personally still think its funny

Willis
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Blast the fucker.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

vmax84

It's the only option if you want to keep both.
Regardless of "how big a deal" it may be.
If ya wanna "get both" one has to pay the price.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My kid was petting the family cat and she got her face a little too close to the cat and the cat took a swipe at my kid.........layed her open just above the eye.  Missed the eye by about 3/8" of an inch.

Now, what do I do with this damn cat?  I wanted to kill it........or at the very least, get it declawed, but Mrs. vmax didn't like any of those ideas.  

Cat is about 3 years old and is kinda ornery..........not a real friendly cat.  

What are my options?

vmax84

I'm not a cat lover, so... you know...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It is serious surgery, but relatively common.  It is not really "declawing", it is amputation of the ends of the cats digits at the last joint.  Like chopping off the tips of all of your fingers or toes.

Once declawed, the cat can never be let outside again.  It cannot defend itself.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
  And the that fucking animal is still in your house and still breathing!       T

It's a cat scratch.  The child wasn't disembowled or partially eaten.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

What are my options?

vmax84

Here are 6 options for you.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Me and every body I know has been "swiped" by a cat at one time or another
since we were kids. But the world was a lot more dangerous back then.

GM

LOL.  Yes indeed.

I also remember when we used to ride bikes without being encased in a 3 inch thick protective cocoon of closed-cell foam.  The horror of it all!!  

Vmax, tell the wife that the cat is going to the vet.  It can either come back declawed or not come back at all.  
Her choice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
the cat never leaves the house.

vmax84

The cat should never be in the house.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#49]
By all means..just throw it outside.  Me and Mr 10/22 will take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#50]
That sumbitch aint pushing up daisies yet? Whack the cat and get a dog!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top