Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 3:00:58 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a Hepa filter air purifier. I live in a two story duplex: 20x30 downstairs, 20x20 upstairs. I can't put in a system into the HVAC system because it's base housing.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sears sells Honeywell models (also under the Kenmore brand) work well and were fairly priced.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sears sells Honeywell models (also under the Kenmore brand) work well and were fairly priced.

+1 & Don't waste your $$$$ on that Ionic breeze pos
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information so far. I saw the Kenmores at Sears today. That's what prompted the question.

Shameless bump.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure they say HEPA on them.  Not HEPA like or HEPA type or such.  HEPA is what you want.  The rest are crap for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from Wal Mart.  The time to buy is in late summer......allergy season is basically over and you might luck out like I did.  I got the large GE for like $40, normally $150.  

Your HVAC system is really where you need to start.  However, it will still make a difference.  In my old farmhouse, I could tell the difference when it was running or not.  

I don't buy the "ionic breeze" crap.  You need a fan pulling air through a good two stage HEPA filter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for a different demographic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
... Stick with a good HEPA filter
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]
IBTWOSAUG

In Before the Wrath of Steyr AUG
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IBTWOSAUG

In Before the Wrath of Steyr AUG

You'll note this thread was started long before that NEWB got his panties in a wad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#11]
tHE sTEYER-eUG is gonna hate you for this one.

Sorry failed to see above post
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tHE sTEYER-eUG is gonna hate you for this one.

He can kiss my ass.

I really need to find a good hepa filter. Preferably one big enough to service my house without being permanately installed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I got mine from Wal Mart.  The time to buy is in late summer......allergy season is basically over and you might luck out like I did.  I got the large GE for like $40, normally $150.  

Your HVAC system is really where you need to start.  However, it will still make a difference.  In my old farmhouse, I could tell the difference when it was running or not.  

I don't buy the "ionic breeze" crap.  You need a fan pulling air through a good two stage HEPA filter.

If you would see the stuff my Ionic breeze traps you wouldn't say they don't work. I think Consumer reports compares the breeze to Hepa machines on high speed. Unfortunately, you can't even thank about running hepa filters on high speed as they are noisey as heck. Second, the prefilters on a hepa machine often need to be cleaned frequently and if  you remove it, the main filters clog too easily. They are expensive.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you would see the stuff my Ionic breeze traps you wouldn't say they don't work. I think Consumer reports compares the breeze to Hepa machines on high speed. Unfortunately, you can't even thank about running hepa filters on high speed as they are noisey as heck. Second, the prefilters on a hepa machine often need to be cleaned frequently and if  you remove it, the main filters clog too easily. They are expensive.

M4-AK

Ionic Breeze is a precipitron, works but has limited filtering capacity. Old technology but works (if large enough, The SI unit really isn't). HEPA filters "clogging" is good, because that means there is just that much less clogging up your lungs (or your body's other prefilters, which is a tangent) Most HEPA's have a foam prefilter which can be washed - extending the life of the main filter. In terms of filtering room-size areas or larger, HEPA is really the only way to go (unless you want to install a precipitron inline with the house HVAC system)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use the 3m pleated filters in my HVAC
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Does that work well?

I had thought about putting cheese cloth on the vents to see what I could get.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that work well?

I had thought about putting cheese cloth on the vents to see what I could get.

Hell yes they work.  They are about $10 and just replace the standard HVAC/Furnace filter.  There are two kinds, the blue package ones, and the gold package ones.  Get the gold packaged filters, they filter down to .02 microns I think it is.  

In my old farmhouse, the air was really bad.  Had a fieldstone basement, that was wet in the spring.  Lots of dust and dirt.  Three pets, etc.  I had to replace the 3m filters every month they got so caked with junk.

Right now I live in an 8 year old duplex that is clean and in good shape.  The 3M filter still makes a world of difference.  I notice it most when I get up in the morning, my nose isn't stuffy and my eyes don't have eye boogers.

I bet you could pick up a couple, trim them to size, and put them over your HVAC vents with duct tape, and it would work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, they work.

www.filters-now.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have personal or professional experience with Living Air/Alpine Air purifiers?

http://alpineaironline.com/product.php?id=50
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I was skeptical of the ionic breeze purifiers but tried one and liked it so much that we just picked up a 2nd one.  

I wake up a lot less congested when I have one running in the bedroom, plus they're quiet, have a low power draw, and no filters to replace.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Ionic Breeze is a precipitron, works but has limited filtering capacity. Old technology but works (if large enough, The SI unit really isn't). HEPA filters "clogging" is good, because that means there is just that much less clogging up your lungs (or your body's other prefilters, which is a tangent) Most HEPA's have a foam prefilter which can be washed - extending the life of the main filter. In terms of filtering room-size areas or larger, HEPA is really the only way to go (unless you want to install a precipitron inline with the house HVAC system)

You ain't kidding.  The Navy has been using industrial size precipitators for 40 years on submarines.  I know:  I had to clean the filthy fucking things.  The ones we had were made by a company called Trion.  They work real good for getting oil and particulates out of the air.  I'm told they kill bacteria too.  We called them "bugzappers" since they would make zapping sounds every few minutes when they were dirty.

The system was probably better since air was forced through coarse pre-filters, through the precipitator, then blown through ducts to the rest of the ship instead of moving air simply by using the static charge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

+1 on the Ionic breeze, mine works great, no more doggy smell!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The Ionic Breeze really doesn't work very well.
Consumer Reports has tested it about five times now over eight years, and it is consistently among the worst reviewed.  
This page is a couple years old:
www.chiro.org/LINKS/ABSTRACTS/Fails_Twice.shtml
And just lately, Consumer Reports tested air purifiers again--and found the Ionic Breeze still lousy.
------
If you want a cheap+effective air filter, get one that uses disposeable filters and just accept the cost of replacing filters as part of the deal. The electrostatic purifiers are cheaper to operate, but simply don't work nearly as well.  
~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top