Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:56:49 AM EDT
I was given a computer that has XP Pro on it and I installed Disk keeper and found many Fraged files and folders on it so I was deleting things I could reload with out the XP C/D that I did not get and Defragging and restarting as I went. Then I deleted a M/S update and now all it will do is restart show the XP Pro screen and then Restart over and over again but never load.  So how do I fix this to load XP ???

I had just run a fresh updated Ad-Aware and AVG Anti-Virus with System restore Off, So it should be clean. Any Ideas ???
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Boot from your Windows XP install disk and do a clean install.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a known problem of this happening after a ad-aware scan. They have information on it on thier web site. I will see if I can find it.
Start with this

Forget that one for now...you can't boot at all right ? Not even in safe mode ?

Try this (I copied this so I would have to type it all out.)

Ever had a Windows XP machine that was in permanent reboot mode? Basically just before the computer goes into Windows, it starts over and does this cycle forever. It most cases it will also lock up when you try to go into safe mode. Well after years of replacing the harddrive of computers with this problem, I stumbled on a fix after trial and error.

This fix has worked on several Dell computers running Windows XP:

Boot to your Windows XP disk. When you get the option, go to "R" for "Repair"

You should now be a a dos prompt in the recovery console.

Type: chkdsk then hit enter. This will run checkdisk. If it does not run checkdisk (you will see the % ticker if it does), then run chkdsk /p to force the checkdisk

Now you should be at the dos prompt again. Type fixmbr

It will ask if you're sure, just say yes.

When done remove the XP CD and reboot into safe mode first. Select restart and let it reboot into normal Windows mode. Hopefully it comes up now and now you should be out of permanent reboot mode.

This MAY work... There is another option if it doesn't. (I'm still looking.)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Boot from your Windows XP install disk and do a clean install.

+1

or nuke it from orbit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
you can't boot at all right ? Not even in safe mode ?

No not at all and no XP Pro C/D
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can't boot at all right ? Not even in safe mode ?

No not at all and no XP Pro C/D

Without a Windows XP CD you are screwed... You must have at least one to boot from to get the repair console .  ANY XP cd will work....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
OK I have a XP C/D now to use and I can get to the repair console, Now what do I do next ???
thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Still can not get it to load. Any more Help ???
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Sell it and buy a Mac. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Hivemind,Hivemind,Hivemind !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top