Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 3:41:23 PM EDT
I have a Net10 (tracfone) and it has worked out well. I don't talk much on cell phones (less than 150 minutes a month) to begin with so this is the best option I have found. Most of my family is local so the land line gets used most of the time. I hated when I was under "contracts" in the past and was paying $40-50 a month so I decided to give this a shot. It is nationwide $0.10 a minute no matter what so 300 minutes and 60 days of service cost me $30 for 2 months and the extra minutes rollover. Just refill it online every 2 months. I have a small Motorola phone and it works as well as others I have had in the past. Any other good/bad experiences out there ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about getting one lately. I hardly ever need a cell phone, but it'd be nice to have for emergencies. Do they have anything cheaper than $30 every 2 months? And where do you refill it at? Online? I know you used to be able to at Radio Shack.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've thought about getting one lately. I hardly ever need a cell phone, but it'd be nice to have for emergencies. Do they have anything cheaper than $30 every 2 months? And where do you refill it at? Online? I know you used to be able to at Radio Shack.

Thats the best deal they have that I could find. You get a local number for your area as well. Break it down to $15 bucks a month for 150 minutes of phone usage and it ain't a bad deal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Tracfone.. Its O.K.

I don't use it much. I had a cell phone with Verizon for 5 years, and hardly used it. As a matter of fact, the only time I neede it for an emergency it didn't work because I was in Franconia Notch in a dead zone. Then I got rid of it.

Its cheaper to pay as you go if you hardly use your phone.

I'll be checking into Mobile to see if the plan is a better deal.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use Tracfone.. Its O.K.

I don't use it much. I had a cell phone with Verizon for 5 years, and hardly used it. As a matter of fact, the only time I neede it for an emergency it didn't work because I was in Franconia Notch in a dead zone. Then I got rid of it.

Its cheaper to pay as you go if you hardly use your phone.

I'll be checking into Mobile to see if the plan is a better deal.

Net10 is a little different from the older tracfones. I had looked at the other companies in the past but they all had additional fees Net10 is the best one I have found. They have a comparison chart to the other services on their website here :

www.net10.com/compare.jsp?nextPage=compare.jsp&task=compare
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a TRACFONE about a month ago,today was my last day with my contract phone i got tired of shitty coustomer service,and monthly cost of about 47.00....(paying for time i never used)the good thing with the tracfone is for 90.00 at your local-wal-mart plus the cost of the phone(20.00)you get a phone and one year of service,plus the double your time deal you get 600 min.that alone saved me about 400.00 +...........
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I are quite happy with our tracfones.

We used to have a regular plan with Alltel, we both needed phones (extensive travel) but we actually only used them an average of seven minutes a month.  Total.

We cut our monthly expendature from about $70 for the lowest two-phone prepaid plan, to about $20 per month.  It's no-BS, gets as good or better coverage as we had under Alltel, and we aren't under some stupid contract.  If the phone breaks or the battery stops charging, I can just smash it with a hammer and get whatever free or low-cost refurb model they're offering now.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I get more minutes with t-mobile to go. My wife has a tracfone plan. Both companies are good with no problems. I give points to tracfone cause it works out side the US.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using Tracfone for about 2 years now. Works okay for me. Occasionally I have to buy extra minutes early because of heavy usage but normally it works out to about 30 bucks for two months.
Okay by me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I get more minutes with t-mobile to go. My wife has a tracfone plan. Both companies are good with no problems. I give points to tracfone cause it works out side the US.

T mobile has the best plans and rates around. Not a lot of BS conditions that chip away at your minutes faster than you'd expect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The big question with prepays is the coverage you will get in your area.
I asked around online some months back and it was generally agreed that Virgin had the cheapest terms for prepay; I don't know if that's true at the moment but (as of a few days ago) their website shows phones for $20 and the requirements are that you purchase $20 of minutes every 3 months, minimum. Dunno about the rolling-over part of it.
------
I just dropped a Verizon $60 monthly account,  just because in 3 months I never really used it.
~~~~~~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#12]
That's not really prepaid then. If you have requirements to buy every 2 or 3 months then you are in a contract. I just buy a yearly card (1k minutes) and forget about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Trac-phone then wait for the internet specials
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Trac-phone then wait for the internet specials

We've hit them with free phones,free shipping,all kinds of specials on line.Only use them for "I'll be late","boat broke down" etc-emergencies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
All right, I'll rephrase. The requirement of buying almost every month instead of a long time compared to other plans.

There, better?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have Virgin Mobile. costs about $20 every three months.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my son (teenage) one for Christmas. I'm hoping it will teach him to moderate on the phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top