E-mail NewsMax  
RSS Feed  

Reprint Information

Alito Defended Ordering Domestic Wiretaps

Fewer Troops Mean Fewer Deaths, Less 'Occupation' Talk
Russia's Putin Shows Off His 'Chops'
Eliot Spitzer in Second 'Threat' Flap
Shopper Pays for Marine's $3K Diamond

A Marine who's planning to marry a Texan got an early Christmas present: A fellow shopper picked up the tab for a $3,000 diamond engagement ring after the two struck up a conversation in a jewelry store.

The 54-year-old Dallas woman who paid for the 1-carat, princess cut diamond ring wants to remain anonymous, Helzberg Diamonds spokeswoman Stacey McBride told The Associated Press on Friday.

The woman's father was in the military, her brother was a Marine who died in Vietnam and her nephew just got back from Iraq, McBride said.

Marine James Lynaugh, 28, of Patuxent River, Md., was shopping Thursday at the Helzberg Diamonds store at a mall in Tyler.

Lynaugh and the anonymous shopper discussed their mutual military connections. Lynaugh opened a store credit account to buy the ring, then left with it.

Story Continues Below

After the other shopper paid for her items, she inquired whether Lynaugh's credit charge could be reversed. She didn't even ask about the cost of the ring, McBride said.

"So we were able to reverse that charge, and she paid in full with a check," McBride said.

A representative of the North Kansas City., Mo, company later contacted Lynaugh with the good news.

"He did say that he broke the news to his fiancee" that someone else paid for the ring, McBride said.

New Stock Market Report - Limited Time Offer!
Men: Attract Women Now
U.S. Comptroller: Financial Collapse Looming  

Lynaugh's fiancee is from Athens, about 40 miles southwest of Tyler in East Texas. The Marine also has family in Huntsville.

He did not immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press on Friday afternoon.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Well that was awfully nice of her.

The only thing that worries me about stuff like that is that I'm afraid it's going to cause a large increase in posers in the hopes that they would get lucky like that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That was way cool. I have had several people offer to pay for things for me when they see me in uniform. I usually thank them, and pay myself. once in a while they absolutly insist.  I appreciate it, but feel kind of funny about it.

Not talking Diamond rings or anything, just coffee and stuff like that, and once at a gas station about $25 worth of gas.

Aviator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top