Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:06:00 AM EDT
In a car with a manual transmission, if you stall the engine, do you also lose braking capability? I know you can always use the emergency brake, but what about the regular brakes?

I'm considering purchasing my first car with a manual tranny and I was just wondering, since four or five years ago, a friend purchased his first manual vehicle, apparently stalled out on a hill, and ended up rolling backwards and hitting the car behind him. My old automatic Camry has also stalled during a slow roll and the brakes did not seem to work.

I am just worried about being stuck in traffic on a steep hill.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
any car with power brakes loses braking power if you stall the engine.  the good thing about a manual transmission is that you can use the engine to brake the car.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You will loose the power assist portion of your brakes if it's stalled out. The brakes will still function, you just have to push the pedal harder and faster to get the same action.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Newer cars with manual transmissions have built in moron proofing. If you let the clutch out without applying gas it still wont stall. It's really not hard to get moving on a hill really but if it's really steep and the asshole behind you is touching your bumper just hold the handbrake until you get moving.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
1. Keep your RPM's up before engaging gear on hills and start in a lower gear (try 1st instead of 2nd)
2. Don't "dump" the clutch as you'll stall for sure
3. Manual tranny's are best if you are hauling heavy loads or are off-road often (4x4)
4.  Avoid using your transmission to "slow down". People who use that technique are on the walls of transmission shops as "Best customers of the Year!"
5. I learned on a manual and still drive one (30 + years). Old habits die hard and I just like going through the gears
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top